Home

How in depth do you get when you recruit?

This is a discussion on How in depth do you get when you recruit? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Pro

nredfoot's Arena

OVR: 5
How in depth do you get when you recruit?

I was curious to see what some ya'll did when recruiting. Do you recruit specifically for your system or do you just go after the most highly ranked guys? I have recently started putting about 30 guys on my board and then narrowing it down to 15 based on their scouting report. That way the guys I get have the highest possible attributes for the system I'm trying to run
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: How in depth do you get when you recruit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredfoot
I was curious to see what some ya'll did when recruiting. Do you recruit specifically for your system or do you just go after the most highly ranked guys? I have recently started putting about 30 guys on my board and then narrowing it down to 15 based on their scouting report. That way the guys I get have the highest possible attributes for the system I'm trying to run

I used to this to the extreme, looking at every stat. Problem is that most stats generally mean little. One of the huge flaws in the game. I can put in a qb with low passing accuracy and throwing power and make him into a legend. Same with receivers with low catch ratings.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I look at some stats but usually try to get the best I can get. I pay more attention to kickers for accuracy. For QBs and HBs I try to have a mix of guys . Like a pocket passer and scrambler, or a speed HB and a power guy.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

System, for me.
It's probably b/c I'm running a now-6* SEC program, but I don't slave myself to ranking or OVR now. The 71 CB with good SPD/ACC and man/press ratings in the mid-80s can have a TAK rating of 50 for all I care. Using that particular position as an example, I'm often reaching down to the teens and higher in regard to CB rankings. Almost never have I found the #1 CB to have a press rating above 80. They are usally 90+ SPD/ACC and >85 Man/Zone but only high-70s PRS, so I'm always leaving them on the table, so to speak.
I take the recruiting spreadsheet produced by the PocketScout program and sort on the column (like PRS for CB or TAK for MLB and DT) most important to me for that particular POS. Then I look at the other characteristics that are in my primary and secondary levels of importance for that POS and, from my Need and Want recruiting categories, fill in my board with up to 19 players of guys that fit my program -- many times going after position-switch guys, SS to LB, MLB to DL, etc.
BTW, the poster that mentioned accuracy for your kicker, my thinking is that it's a characteristic you have control over -- your own stick skills -- so, for at least a punter, I value kick power instead. Was worried about a 97 pwr/67 accuracy HB (yes, a 46 OVR HB ranked #2,000-something overall had those kick numbers! thank you PocketScout) I just recruited in last class to be my P and KOS, and he has been phenomenal. Maybe worth a try?

Last edited by GGGswim; 12-05-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Was worried about a 97 pwr/67 accuracy HB (yes, a 46 OVR HB ranked #2,000-something overall had those kick numbers! thank you PocketScout) I just recruited in last class to be my P and KOS, and he has been phenomenal. Maybe worth a try?

Did I read that right? A 46 OVR HB??!!! Pocketscout can do that? The free version or the one u have to pay? Maybe utilize that speed and acceleration for a fake punt(one thing I liked about NCAA 08 was you can cancel or abort the punt or FG and you can run and/or throw with the P or the holder respectively. You know ala Brad Wing the P of LSU. I loved doing that in NCAA 08, I would get my fastest player place him as the P or recruit a guy I created usually a QB who can punt/kick as well as scramble and go to form subs and then fake the punt and get the 1st if not a TD. Is there a way to abort i.e. cancel the kick/FG in NCAA 12? That would be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

They gotta fit my system.. On offense the QB needs to be more of a scrambler.. Not saying a Vick style QB but more like Mark Sanchez, because I like running the ball and having a QB that can play action well helps.. On Defense I look fir Corners that I can put on an island and they man up well so I can blitz.. Plus I look for quick DE's to really get to the QB..
Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

By far and large I am a system guy.
If I play a rebuilding dynasty the first few years my goal is to get 2-3* level talent, if I can land a 4* then I will build around them.

I look for how I play. I want more speed at DB then other attributes. I don't look at pocketscout or anything, I check out the ratings (B, B+, 40 times, etc).

I have found some really good DBs and Safeties in the low 20/30 ranges that were far better than the top 2/3 in their position, in my system anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
I used to this to the extreme, looking at every stat. Problem is that most stats generally mean little. One of the huge flaws in the game. I can put in a qb with low passing accuracy and throwing power and make him into a legend. Same with receivers with low catch ratings.
thats a slider and difficulty issue. you need to crank it up man so rating do mean something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »