Home

Need help developing 2 schemes. Attacking 3-4, defending Ace Big Twins

This is a discussion on Need help developing 2 schemes. Attacking 3-4, defending Ace Big Twins within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Need help developing 2 schemes. Attacking 3-4, defending Ace Big Twins

I'm in an all SEC dynasty as UGA. I win the East every year but there is one user i simply cannot beat. He's Bama, and i can never move the ball against his defense. Now I'm no slouch. 150+ online wins with around a .66 winning %, sim style player with a skill level of 18, but this guy just destroys me. He runs a 3-4 defense. We're in year 5, and he recruits SS to play OLB(finds them
With a high block shedding) so the smart attack of slot wr's on OLB is null. His db's are top notch, so he leaves them on islands and sets pass d on conservative. Users his safety to help in the run game and picks off all the intermediate routes. We've met 6 times, 3 in reg season, 3 in champ game, and i probably avg 14 points against him. What are some good ways to attack his 3-4?

Another user(Auburn) has been giving me fits lately as well. He runs ace big twins almost exclusively. When i see that 12 personel, my natural instinct is to go with the 4-3 or 3-4(alternating between zone and blitz respectively.). I'm not as concerned about him because we usually have epic match ups that come down to the last possesion or two, and he's not very good at stopping my spread option attack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Need help developing 2 schemes. Attacking 3-4, defending Ace Big Twins

That is always tough. Historically, my toughest opponents are the ones that simply take away my run game and get me one dimensional. That is part of the reason I have transitioned to a pass first with air raid concepts offense, most people struggle defending a pass first attack, because then you can run it when they spread the field with your WR's.

You need to get more committed to that passing game. Even with SS as OLB's, 3-4 formations are extremely limited with pass coverages and you'll either force him out of the 3-4 or you'll force him into very basic coverages. You need to spread him out and go Trips. 3x1 formations will allow you to control his defense. He can't run man to man out of 3-4 against trips because either he'll have no safety help over the top or he'll have a MLB on an inside slot WR. Someone will be open and there is absolutely no way he can stay 3-4. And once he starts committing to stop that pass game, you run it.

What helped me was being RUTHLESS cutting plays from my playbook. My base air raid offense is 200 plays in 10-12 formations, then I usually add about 75-100 plays that are team/talent specific. At a few schools I have running QB's, so I installed flexbone. At others, I have great TE's and add more Y Trips type formations to use them. If you aren't comfortable running something, get rid of it.

As for Ace Big Twins, the reason it is so good is the same reason as 3x1 above. Even more deadly because you get a 3x1 formation but also 2 more gaps for the defense to defend in the rushing attack. You can't really man up vs it because you're going to have a mismatch somewhere and if you go zone or sit back, you can run against it or find something short. Almost everyone in football would say this is one of their favorite formations, this and what would be Ace Twin TE Slot (2x2 with twin WR to one side and two TE to the other). I would personally just try and pick out tendencies in down & distance and attack him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »