Home

Gameplay Advice

This is a discussion on Gameplay Advice within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8
Gameplay Advice

Hey guys. I just received the PS3 for Christmas after having been playing Madden 2008 on the PC since, well, 2008. This is my first "next gen" as they used to say, I suppose.

Anyways, I received NCAA 2012 as well and need some help understanding this game as well as some advice.

1. While in the game, at the playcalling screen from the Formations sections, I notice some players are like bright orange or bright red, in particular my starting left tackle, Andrew Datko, for the Seminoles. Does the brighter red mean he's extremely tired? When EJ Manuel turns bright red, I can use the right-stick and sub in my backup QB but I don't have that quick option for my linemen. Is there a sub in/out setting that will sub more realistically for the offensive linemen?

2. When I bring up the Coach Cam with the R2 button and pull back on the right-stick, these circles pop up below all of my players. Every once in a while, I will see a player with sort of an light-orange glow instead of the white. What is this feature and what does it mean to me?

3. Recruiting: I had my first season recruiting set to Varsity level even though I play on Heisman. I ended up with four 5*, five 4*, fifteen 3*, and one 1* (myself as a FB). I had the top rated recruiting class but only had 12 recruits after the regular season. I landed the other 13 during the off-season (sweet feature, btw). Should I raise the recruiting level to All-American or Heisman? I don't want to land the top recruiting class every season but I'm not sure I will despite my first season.

4. Pancakes? My offensive linemen saw less than 5 each while the rest of the league saw good numbers. I'm afraid that none of my linemen will ever be eligible for any awards. I don't want them to accumulate the greatest about of pancakes consistently year-in and year-out like they did in Madden 2008, but I'd like to see more than 20 for my best lineman, right? What is a realistic amount of pancakes for the top lineman on a really good team, like Florida State? What slider setting should I mess with: RB Ability, Run Blocking? Should I mess with the CPU slider as well, for the defensive side? I run the ball decently with Chris Thompson, totaling less than 900 yards on the ground and I'm afraid that if I raise the slider on the Run Blocking that I will experience too good of a season on the ground next season. If I raise the Run Blocking, should I subsequently lower the RB Ability?

Thanks, I know the questions are lengthly, I just hope to receive some helpful answers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

OVR: 1
Ditto to 2 and 4
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 13
Re: Gameplay Advice

Circles under player shows how well or bad he is doing. blue circle means hes not doing well in his position. Orange shows hes heating up. Red is when hes doing well. Flashing Red means hes in the zone an impact player.

Pancakes have been screwed up for years. Don't be surprised by this.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Renard's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Animal
1. While in the game, at the playcalling screen from the Formations sections, I notice some players are like bright orange or bright red, in particular my starting left tackle, Andrew Datko, for the Seminoles. Does the brighter red mean he's extremely tired? When EJ Manuel turns bright red, I can use the right-stick and sub in my backup QB but I don't have that quick option for my linemen. Is there a sub in/out setting that will sub more realistically for the offensive linemen?
You can change your auto subs so that if a player gets tired, he will sub out automatically... Look in the sliders section of OS for good ones.

Quote:
3. Recruiting: I had my first season recruiting set to Varsity level even though I play on Heisman. I ended up with four 5*, five 4*, fifteen 3*, and one 1* (myself as a FB). I had the top rated recruiting class but only had 12 recruits after the regular season. I landed the other 13 during the off-season (sweet feature, btw). Should I raise the recruiting level to All-American or Heisman? I don't want to land the top recruiting class every season but I'm not sure I will despite my first season.
I would raise them if I were you... The only noticeable difference will be you can only change topics twice (AA) or once (Heisman) and it seems as though its a bit tougher to grab players you don't spend much time on..
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I would definitely bump up the Recruiting difficulty. You're at FSU, so you'll do well on AA, and even Heisman.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Welcome to next gen football.

Although it get's way too much flack, NCAA 12 is a great game.

Enjoy it.

Another thing you may want to try eventually is taking on a one or two star school. It is a load of fun and a nice challenge. With the Coaching Carousel it makes it even more rewarding to take a school to a great bowl game, win a conference or even a BCS bowl if your really good.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-18-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Yes its fatigue related. Use the auto subs feature. Most slider sets post this as well.

Quote:
2. When I bring up the Coach Cam with the R2 button and pull back on the right-stick, these circles pop up below all of my players. Every once in a while, I will see a player with sort of an light-orange glow instead of the white. What is this feature and what does it mean to me?
Red and Flashing = Super Hot
Red = Hot
Yellow = Heating Up
White = Nothing
Blue = Cold

Basically consider this a momentum gauge for that player. Sometimes one sack will blue your QB.

Quote:
Varsity you get 3 passes on a subject
AA 2
Heisman 1

On Heisman the CPU is more aggressive going after people they want, but as FSU you should be fine. Keep 10-15 on your board and avg at least 40min/recruit on Heisman.

Quote:
4. Pancakes? My offensive linemen saw less than 5 each while the rest of the league saw good numbers. I'm afraid that none of my linemen will ever be eligible for any awards. I don't want them to accumulate the greatest about of pancakes consistently year-in and year-out like they did in Madden 2008, but I'd like to see more than 20 for my best lineman, right? What is a realistic amount of pancakes for the top lineman on a really good team, like Florida State? What slider setting should I mess with: RB Ability, Run Blocking? Should I mess with the CPU slider as well, for the defensive side? I run the ball decently with Chris Thompson, totaling less than 900 yards on the ground and I'm afraid that if I raise the slider on the Run Blocking that I will experience too good of a season on the ground next season. If I raise the Run Blocking, should I subsequently lower the RB Ability?
Pancakes have been jacked for user teams for awhile in NCAA. No slider set will get you the right number.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Rookie

jarato's Arena

Wow I've been playing this game for a while and I've gotta say that I never #2 even existed until now. Explains a lot now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »