Home

BCS Tie Breaker

This is a discussion on BCS Tie Breaker within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
BCS Tie Breaker

Well, I had a feeling it would happen eventually, but I finally got the BCS shaft in this game. 2014 in an OD, going into the conference title week I (Clemson) was tied with Oregon in the BCS. He was #2, I was #3 despite both having .992. He was 10-2, I was 11-1. We both won our respective conference championship games over top 10 teams, the Big Ten for me and the Pac 12 for him.

After the advance, we remained tied in the BCS, this time at .991. First of all, how did we lose percentage points? Second of all, how does an 11-2 team beat out an 11-1 team in the BCS? I was #2 in the coaches, he was #2 in the media, the media poll doesn't apply, so what happened here? He played 1 more ranked team but lost to 2 of them and I played a tougher top to bottom schedule. It is a BCS rematch as well, as Oregon already played FSU (and lost to them) earlier in the year.

Now I know what Oklahoma State feels like. I know what the "official" BCS tiebreakers are, but does anyone know what the EA tiebreakers are?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: BCS Tie Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Well, I had a feeling it would happen eventually, but I finally got the BCS shaft in this game. 2014 in an OD, going into the conference title week I (Clemson) was tied with Oregon in the BCS. He was #2, I was #3 despite both having .992. He was 10-2, I was 11-1. We both won our respective conference championship games over top 10 teams, the Big Ten for me and the Pac 12 for him.

After the advance, we remained tied in the BCS, this time at .991. First of all, how did we lose percentage points? Second of all, how does an 11-2 team beat out an 11-1 team in the BCS? I was #2 in the coaches, he was #2 in the media, the media poll doesn't apply, so what happened here? He played 1 more ranked team but lost to 2 of them and I played a tougher top to bottom schedule. It is a BCS rematch as well, as Oregon already played FSU (and lost to them) earlier in the year.

Now I know what Oklahoma State feels like. I know what the "official" BCS tiebreakers are, but does anyone know what the EA tiebreakers are?
I couldn't tell you how the game breaks ties but I did notice looking at the polls that the game seems to value ranked opponents a bit too much i.e. teams seem to get rewarded more for losing to a ranked team than for beating an unranked team. It tends to even out as the season progresses though there are still sometimes situations likes yours.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I couldn't tell you how the game breaks ties but I did notice looking at the polls that the game seems to value ranked opponents a bit too much i.e. teams seem to get rewarded more for losing to a ranked team than for beating an unranked team. It tends to even out as the season progresses though there are still sometimes situations likes yours.
yeah...multiply that with conference prestige and that's how the game tries to avoid putting teams from the non BCS conferences in the Championship game.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Here's what I have noticed, if you are ahead in the media, you win the BCS tie breaker. I take the media poll in the game as the Harris poll.

Not sure how all the points work, I've seen a .997 .997 .986 .986 gridlock before (once, 4 12-0 teams before CC week), but I do know if there is a BCS tie, whoever is ranked higher in the media will go. And the media poll is more "wow, OMG" factor then the coaches. If you are #11 or higher and upset #1, you will always be top 5 in the media the next week.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcordloh
Here's what I have noticed, if you are ahead in the media, you win the BCS tie breaker. I take the media poll in the game as the Harris poll.

Not sure how all the points work, I've seen a .997 .997 .986 .986 gridlock before (once, 4 12-0 teams before CC week), but I do know if there is a BCS tie, whoever is ranked higher in the media will go. And the media poll is more "wow, OMG" factor then the coaches. If you are #11 or higher and upset #1, you will always be top 5 in the media the next week.
Ugh, yeah, I assumed it was the media poll that did me in and that there is always a pretty big difference for some teams in coaches and media. I've had teams where I was 12th in the media but 23rd in the coaches.

Just using the real life BCS tie-breakers, none would have applied between me and Oregon which would have made it a coin flip. We had no mutual opponents and didn't play head to head. He also lost more recently than I did to a lesser ranked team than I lost to.

I'm guessing the media poll difference came because he beat top 10 ranked USC twice, once late in the year and once in the conference title game. He also beat Alabama early in the year, who despite going 8-4, finished #5 in the BCS ahead of 8 teams with better records and 3 with only 2 losses.

I'll chalk this one up to EA being EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

Nevermind, Utah & Missouri just tied in my dynasty when I simmed ahead to see the probable finishes. Missouri #2/3 (Media/Coaches), Utah #3/#2. Utah got #2 in the BCS.

Never seen it before..

I have no IDEA what the tiebreaker is. My lone loss was better than theirs.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcordloh
Nevermind, Utah & Missouri just tied in my dynasty when I simmed ahead to see the probable finishes. Missouri #2/3 (Media/Coaches), Utah #3/#2. Utah got #2 in the BCS.

Never seen it before..

I have no IDEA what the tiebreaker is. My lone loss was better than theirs.
It was pretty confusing to figure out how a 2 loss team could beat a 1 loss team out in the BCS, quality of win or not those losses should take a pretty big hit. His loses were to #1 FSU (who he lost to again in the National Championship) and #16 Texas A&M. Mine was to #8 Ohio State, who I beat in the conference title rematch. Wish there was more transparency in the EA BCS system, then again, wish there was more transparency in the real BCS system.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

Quote:
It was pretty confusing to figure out how a 2 loss team could beat a 1 loss team out in the BCS, quality of win or not those losses should take a pretty big hit. His loses were to #1 FSU (who he lost to again in the National Championship) and #16 Texas A&M. Mine was to #8 Ohio State, who I beat in the conference title rematch. Wish there was more transparency in the EA BCS system, then again, wish there was more transparency in the real BCS system.
Time of loss matters usually but
there was an instance in NCAA 2011 where it didn't

In NCAA 2009, I had several years where #1 & #2 played at the end of the year and it was a very close game and they had a rematch for the BCS championship. One instance was USC vs California, 32-29 in 2 OT, one of my first come from behind wins. We played for the NC and I remember losing by 6, and finishing the season Cal #1, USC #2. The #3 team was Texas, and they also had just 1 loss, like Cal and USC.

In NCAA 2012 I have yet, and I have tried staging it, to see #1/#2 play and the loser not drop to at minimum #3. EVER.

IRL, if #1 and #2 were undefeated, and it was a close game, and #3 was not undefeated, then the loser might be #2. Not in NCAA 2012. I staged it once. I mean STAGED. #1/#2 matchup, had #3-#10 lose, and the loser (#1) was still ranked #4. (This was a mid-season match, week 6 I believe).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »