Home

Utilizing a Fullback

This is a discussion on Utilizing a Fullback within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Utilizing a Fullback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfEd
You have a ton of options with that combo, but a good delima to be in. One season I had a similar lineup, just my FB was 87 speed. In addition to the FB package subs, I also set him as my #2 HB and used a playbook with plenty of formations that allowed me to package sub my #1 HB to the slot (SG 4WR Trio, etc) From here I ran a healthy dose of dives, tripple option, and PA, all with a QB with speed in the mid 70's. Had a blast!
How did it work with a slower QB? My QB is a big time thrower and I do want to utilize his arm. My air raid last year was balanced, most of my yards were through the air but most of my plays were runs.

I figured there is no way I could avoid at least some option, slow QB or not, although I was thinking out of the I. But now that I think about it, I could probably run a few things similar to what I do at Oregon here. My Oregon offense is spread rushing but no more than 5-7 QB runs a game. Just counter, sweep, buck sweep, dive and then triple option off of all those using auto motions. I could do the same here. Heck, Oklahoma State used to use option with Zac Robinson.

How could I utilize my FB's blocking in a scheme like that though? Under center in I he could block and be a ball carrier on every play, in the gun, only Split Backs would offer the dual threat. Despite him being high rated at TE, with a 44 catch rating, I'm a little hesitant to put him there.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymndheartkilla
There are a few split formations out of shotgun that are pretty killer. Fb/HB powers, draws, a RIDICULOUS HB counter that might use that blocking, as well as some motion plays that utilize the HB out in the slot.

I love these formations as I've got an extreme talent at FB as well. Top ten in nation for pancakes with no sacks allowed. Catches runs and blocks. You should try it out
I'm starting to lean towards split formations. I'd like to keep my air raid concepts offensively, just with a devastating run game. So take a playbook like BYU which is loaded with split back looks and run draw, dive, counter, sweep, power O to both backs while keeping a pass threat.

That would save me from the worst part of my under center offense. I am so used to running spread that when I go under center, it is pretty much 99% run and people can sell out against it.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
He's a 93 SPD fullback? Why not just make him your #1 halfback?
My #1 HB is pretty good himself. 87 overall, 95 speed as a sophomore. I'd rather they both be on the field, although I will have times when I use the FB at HB package with my #2 TE at FB and run power right at people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Has anyone had experience running one or two flexbone sets with no speed at QB? I was thinking about this last night. My air raid playbook already has two Flexbone in it, they were my short yardage/goal line packages in the air raid.

If I took most of the option out and made it: WB Toss, WB Dive, Speed Sweep, Misdirection, FB Dive, FB Draw and a few passes, would that give me enough variety to keep people off balance? I could play the FB at B, my starting HB at A and my backup HB who is a former WR at the other A.

It couldn't be a full offense but it would give me the same looks as SonofEd recommend in an under center alignment.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Just a little update here. My second string him is low 80's with low 80's speed and looks fairly able to run the ball. I'm still keeping the star passer as the starter, but knowing I have a little athleticism to work with at QB, would that change what to do?

I'd love to stay totally spread, maybe ditch some of the 4 WR sets in my book for 3 WR and a TE set, but I feel like I am missing out on an opportunity not lining up in the I or Strong/Weak and pounding it right at people.

My biggest concern right now is formation tendencies, which have killed me in the past when I used multiple sets. It would get painfully obvious what was about to happen based on personnel and alignment and users destroyed me. I'm worried if I add I Strong/Weak I would not effectively pass out of it and get too one dimensional.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Just a little update here. My second string him is low 80's with low 80's speed and looks fairly able to run the ball. I'm still keeping the star passer as the starter, but knowing I have a little athleticism to work with at QB, would that change what to do?

I'd love to stay totally spread, maybe ditch some of the 4 WR sets in my book for 3 WR and a TE set, but I feel like I am missing out on an opportunity not lining up in the I or Strong/Weak and pounding it right at people.

My biggest concern right now is formation tendencies, which have killed me in the past when I used multiple sets. It would get painfully obvious what was about to happen based on personnel and alignment and users destroyed me. I'm worried if I add I Strong/Weak I would not effectively pass out of it and get too one dimensional.
Strong and weak I can be effective passing sets if you have talented TEs, a good run game, and can pull off a PA pass every once in awhile. Not to mention the slants and combo routes you can find in those formations. My advice would be to practice and find some plays that work in said formations for a good run/pass balance
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber35
Strong and weak I can be effective passing sets if you have talented TEs, a good run game, and can pull off a PA pass every once in awhile. Not to mention the slants and combo routes you can find in those formations. My advice would be to practice and find some plays that work in said formations for a good run/pass balance
My starting TE is 89 overall but only 82 speed. 87 accel. 77 catch, 84 route running, 84 catch in traffic. Great blocking ratings. My only other TE is an 81 rated RS Freshman, but only 78 speed and 69 catching. I am a spread guy and I am too athletic at WR to keep just 2 WR on the field.

I think I can run a fairly multiple scheme while keeping it as simple as my previous offense, which was 200 plays. I just don't know how multiple to go.

Anyone have a series of plays they like to run from under center? I suppose I could run some Ace, but I really hadn't considered it, I use Pistol for Ace.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

I'd use a 2 halfback set with your hb and this fb.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »