Home

Mike Leach Playbook for WSU (Ncaa 12.)

This is a discussion on Mike Leach Playbook for WSU (Ncaa 12.) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Mike Leach Playbook for WSU (Ncaa 12.)

If you were to pick a base playbook, you want Oklahoma State/West Virginia (identical) or ECU. Since Leach seems to be looking at a more pistol-centric look, I'd go with OSU/WVU. Keep in mind that Holgo's OSU/WVU offense had way more running and a few more TE based sets rather than the 4-5 WR stuff Leach loves.

My custom air raid book for NCAA was based on Holgoraid but with a lot of Mike Leach's concepts mixed in. Whereas Holgo gets vertical more, essentially ditching mesh routes, I left those in as a staple of the "traditional" air raid. The book was essentially all Pistol sets that contained routes like Shallow Cross, Mesh, Smash and Mid Screens plus Pistol Full House and then all the Gun sets that contained all those same routes.

It was about 15 formations, but only 200 plays. Incredibly basic, every formation had all the same plays with the exception of a few special plays like the HB Swing Screen which is unique to SG Trips (amazing play). My run game was literally Dive/Draw. That is it and I never called a single run in the huddle. In Pistol, I'd line up 4 wide and if the D spread the field with my WR's, it was a quick audible to the dive. I had countless 100+ yard rushing games running a dozen quick audible dives against Dime and Quarters coverage.

We won't know exactly what quirks Leach's system will have in it this year, but as long as you get the base concepts of the air raid down, you'll be fine. I would highly suggest you go custom playbook, simply because base default playbooks have a lot of fluff in them that you just won't ever use. You should be able to trim your formations down to about 9 plays per formation (the basic air raid concepts, plus a screen or two, plus a single run play).
Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Mike Leach Playbook for WSU (Ncaa 12.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedihawk2K5
In that case, maybe Baylor is the way to go? Art Briles is another from the Leach coaching tree, and while they throw it all over the place out of the shotgun they also have a strong running game. Holgorsen (sp?) was at OK State before WVU, and we've seen that offense do great things as well. Can't wait for the 2012 season!
Briles is pretty much the anti-Leach.

AB's offensive philosophy, while sharing some of the basic Air Raid concepts, is distinct in that it is a run-first attack. Last season BU ran the ball 576 times and threw it 424; if you look at Briles' HC career (Hou & BU), the only time he had a team throw more than run was 2009 (when RGIII missed most of the season with a knee injury).

Leach may be talking about emphasizing the run more, but as a long time observer of his coaching methods I'll believe it when I see it. Just take a look at the run-pass numbers for The Pirate's last 3 seasons at TT:

'07 246 R 763 P
'08 317 R 662 P
'09 319 R 669 P

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »