Home

Done making excuses

This is a discussion on Done making excuses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Done making excuses

I was so stoked when they finally left the EMOLS in the option unblocked in NCAA 11. I thought to myself, "Self, they're clearly trying here. Sure, you can't properly read the next guy on the pitch/keep phase of a triple option, but...babysteps! You can finally run some real option!

And it's not their fault, look what they're up against! They've got to please the whiners who want new socks and 15 dreadlock styles.

Football's a complicated game! Who could really make a better game?"

But this s*** game is crap.
NCAA 13 will be the same thing.

I'm watching 2k8 games on youtube. It's got flaws, sure. But holy crap, that thing came out 5 years ago and NCAA can't get anything that looks half as realistic?

Unfortunately, I'm done coaching (minor league level. maybe i'll get back to it some day.) I thought I could run my option/RnS system that I coached to some extent in the game and have fun with it.

It requires so much freaking suspension of disbelief. I have to hold back on stuff that's "cheating" on the CPU if I do it - even if I'd do it in real life - because the AI is so brokedick. And then there are other times the CPU is just unbelievable; unblockable cornerbacks on triple options, super LBs, RoboQBs, Olinemen pancaking ALL the defenders, etc.

Splits are all the same. There is no technique in the trenches. Blocking assignments have nothing to do with where a defender actually is, just what he's labeled - on triple options, a pinched DE in a 3 man front who is head up on my guard is an unblocked read man because he's a DE! WTF? D-Linemen don't play with leverage, they play with animations. There are no run fits. There is no gap control.

The RNS stuff actually looks good, except the option routes are totally unpredictable and super LBs and psychic DBs ruin it. Sure, I can throw 4 verts all day, but I'd love to be able to actually read the corner on Choice.

And this is what we're going to get in 2013, with minor modifications.
And in 2014.
And in 2015.

If they just MOVED like real people - like they do in 2k or backbreaker to some extent- I wouldn't even get worked up about the Xs and Os.

DONE. DONE BUYING THIS CRAP.

Okay, I guess the mods can delete.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Done making excuses

Let me just say, Stylee, that I feel your pain. There are things that were in 2K5 - that came out in 2004!!! - which are still NOT in this game, and most likely, never will be.

This is what happens when you have no competition. Greed wins out - you buy off the competition and then produce mediocrity {at best} for nearly a decade. So sad.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Not EA's fault---idiots keep buying so they keep changing socks, hair styles, etc....and idiots keep buying. Hate the game---stop buying it!!! Millions will bitch and still buy it.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Feel your pain. If the real Buckeyes can get a couple of LBs like this game plays then you might as well give them the BCSNC in 2014!

How in the F does one CB covering the outside WR make the play on the slot WR who is uncovered on the line?

HFA is broke too. A New Mexico should not have some crazy advantage like Camp Randall when I play them with a stacked TCU. Just saying.

Hell, 4 Vert's doesn't even work for me...might be more user though. Haha
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

These are the type post and threads I want developers reading when they say "we read OS". Everything the OP stated was based on their understanding of real football and the frustration of EA's "simulation" football games not. As I read that post I kept thinking, "WTF are EA football games based on and representing because it's obviously not real life football."

What is the justification or logic behind NOT basing simulation football games on real life football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

The question is how real do we want it? I mean we play this game to compete, but if they made it real, a lot of people would stop playing. What I mean is if I decided to rebuild AKRON, I would lose and lose and lose and stop playing, if the game was realistic. The game has to have ways of balancing realism and fantasy--it is a video game. How do you simulate a 47 percent passer? Do you give him a certain amount of throwaways a game or do you have mirror defensive coverage. I think 12 has it's problems, but when I play it like real life, it's the best to date...not perfect, just the best so far. I still have to put realism away though when I start a dynasty with EMU on All-American default sliders and I am beating Penn State and Michigan by twenty without cheesing. My complaint with the game is that they just made the running game as easy as they use to make the passing game.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
These are the type post and threads I want developers reading when they say "we read OS". Everything the OP stated was based on their understanding of real football and the frustration of EA's "simulation" football games not. As I read that post I kept thinking, "WTF are EA football games based on and representing because it's obviously not real life football."

What is the justification or logic behind NOT basing simulation football games on real life football?
Big, it seems like me and you just seem to agree more and more as I spend more time around this site. If they are going to sit here and claim we have a realistic simulation of football, it better look and feel like real life football. If I pick a horrid team (sadly my EMU Eagles fit the bill in the game lol) I better be losing by 20+ to Bama and Michigan, unless those teams begin to turn the ball over like crazy and I play a perfect game...if I don't the game just doesn't feel right to me.

I've said the same things about Madden and NCAA for years, I'd rather be god awful until I recruit (or sign/draft in Madden) talent, and learn how to play the game true to how football ACTUALLY is played with real football concepts and physics, than become a national powerhouse in 2 seasons and always win every game by 20-30 points without running the same play every time. It's more fun (for me at least) when the game is challenging and realistic looking/feeling, without having to sacrifice one for the other, or in the case of the current games we have, not having either
Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by afbrother
The question is how real do we want it? I mean we play this game to compete, but if they made it real, a lot of people would stop playing. What I mean is if I decided to rebuild AKRON, I would lose and lose and lose and stop playing, if the game was realistic. The game has to have ways of balancing realism and fantasy--it is a video game. How do you simulate a 47 percent passer? Do you give him a certain amount of throwaways a game or do you have mirror defensive coverage. I think 12 has it's problems, but when I play it like real life, it's the best to date...not perfect, just the best so far. I still have to put realism away though when I start a dynasty with EMU on All-American default sliders and I am beating Penn State and Michigan by twenty without cheesing. My complaint with the game is that they just made the running game as easy as they use to make the passing game.
I don't mind losing. Some of my best games were those when I was losing big to Bama or Penn State, etc. but I'd find something that would get me an extra yard or two here or there, or I could focus on stopping the rushing attack, etc.

If I could work my way up (or FAIL to do so...) over a number of years, while losing a number of games a season, eking out close wins over similarly ranked opponents, etc., I'd be pretty happy!

I guess I feel like it should be more "sim" as I go up in difficulty. Guys that don't know that they're supposed to read a 3-tech on midline, or don't know what gap/gap-and-a-half their DT is supposed to control, etc., can play varsity or junior varsity. Heisman shouldn't just be giving the CPU super powered jumping, psychic powers, etc.

Winning big is just as frustrating for me as losing because of unblocked corners, or 74 SPD MLBs chasing down my 97 SPD A-Back because they've got a HFA "bonus." I can't stand knowing that if I run the tunnel screen, I'm going to pick up 30 yards, or that, depending on the coverage, the opposing team's cornerbacks will stand still and watch my QB run by them, etc.

I guess this just isn't the game for me, because
A) the "WE WANT DREADLOCKS" people all want to play on Heisman, but don't want to learn what a coverage shell is, and
B) These people that DONT know or want to know football is a bigger audience (and more money for EA) than those of us that do.

To me, it just seems easy - making the difference between JV, Varsity, AA, and Heisman something like "On the easier levels, you can make up for your mistakes with superpowers; on the higher levels, you have to understand what's happening on the field to win."

In my most recent Dynasty, I was the #3 team in the country in week 7...with 2* Montana State (started off as 1*...I'm in the 3rd season). My QB led the nation in rushing. Why? Because, on triple option, if he kept it past the give/keep first option phase, I'd tuck it up underneath the second read EVERYTIME. Pitching was pointless. Etc.

I don't want to be the damn #3 team in the country on Heisman mode with a team like Montana State. Now every game against a non-top-10 school was boring...the higher ranked I was, the more likely CPU defenders were to IGNORE the ball carrier going past them.

It's not like a better football game can't be made. We know it can. The companies that made it just need the license .

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »