Home

Blocking engagements needs to be addressed.

This is a discussion on Blocking engagements needs to be addressed. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Blocking engagements needs to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Butt Naked
If you are reading this then you probably know what Im talking about. Of course the first problem, which most of us have experienced, is the DT getting more pressure than the DE's. This is in part due to the animation that DE's experience when rushing the passer with the DE attempting to rush the edge only to be jolted back by the tackle. And by the time the animation runs its course the QB has already made his dropback preventing the DE from getting any type of pressure. Its by belief that this animation was implemented in order to create the illusion of a pocket because the DE's get jolted at an angle that attempts to produce a pocket.
The other reason the DT gets pressure too easily and faster then the DE is because once he beats his block there is nothing stopping him to get to the QB. This has to to do with the Pass Blocking in EA games. Once the off linemen get beat they are totally beat. U USUALLY NEVER SEE OFF LINEMEN GET TOTALLY BEAT. If the defensive lineman makes a good move he usually will gain leverage or an angle towards the QB. The Off lineman will then attempt to recover his angle or leverage by pursuing the defender.
Now, this problem showing up in Madden 12 and NCAA 12 highlights the underlying issue of blocking engagement. Too often do the engagements stay stuck in one place. There needs to be more horizontal movement as well as back and forth struggles between the two players showcasing their strength and awareness. The L stick should be utilized more within these engagements. moving left on the L stick should cause the engagement to move left depending on the players involved in the engagement. Stronger players should be able to manipulate the engagement more drastically then weaker players. Of course the blocker can react to this by manipulating his L stick in either direction in order to recover his angle on the block. This creates a back and forth struggle between the blocker and the defender, all depending on L stick manipulation of both players as well as their attributes. Then throw in some specific maneuvers that are already in the game like the swim, rip, and so on, but don't make it a win or lose situation if the maneuver is successful. If a maneuver is successful you remain in the engagement but u gain leverage and angle. I would only make the best Block shedders able to break the block completely, but it would be rare.
Lastly, you would eventually have to add in tackle animations that involve defenders involved in a blocking engagement to make the game more fluid but the most important thing is to do right now is to improve blocking engagements.

What do you think?
Uh, I think you should space your paragraphs out.

Otherwise, more vertical/depth movement is needed with interior line battles. Horizontal/lateral movement would come into play if scoop blocks, reach blocks, down blocking, and proper zone blocking technique were correctly implemented.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

I ranted about this same exact subject, brother. We need a speed rush. That will help dominant DEs..... dominant.

Also, no more of this "DL falling flat on his face" bullcrap. That's one of the most unrealistic damn aspects in this game.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

OVR: 3

Hopefully, they do something so you can get a pass rush with 4 linemen or theirs no reason to run a cover 2 defense.

And like I said you don't have to get sacks you just need to be able to pressure the QB.

EA, if your not hard at work at this right now your not doing your job.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

OVR: 3

I am certain that once this game comes out, blocking engagments will be the number one complaint going forward. I'm just praying they tuned it enough or are STILL TUNING it so it will not completely ruin the game.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, work your butts off on blocking engagements up until the release of the game. JUST DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO MAKE THEM BETTER.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Rookie

Custon 89's Arena

OVR: 1

Just thinking about how the hell I'm going to throw the football with DT coming in my face in NCAA 13, especially if the receivers aren't looking and you must complete the dropback (if automatic) this will be a b****.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Another thing about blocking is that anything with a pulling guard is automatic fail.

For whatever reason blockers like to stop and reangle themselves to make blocks, unfornutately they are the only people in the game who adhere to this law of physics as defensive ends and linebackers change direction on a dime to pursue you. Blocking as a whole is really in need of some major reworking, with tuning it could be a bit better, but a lot of it is broken.

1-Blockers who dont block anyone for inexplicable reasons
2-Blockers who get in the players way because they are running backward to block someone not involved in the play
3-Blockers who are pulling and then stop without actually hitting the hole the play is designed to go into.

I can only assume that these things are incredibly hard to program becuase they are so inexplicably bad (not in madden however) that it doesnt make sense.

While were at it can we please get rid of that stupid drop back animation on the Option passes. It makes them pretty much impossible to run.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

as bad as the line interaction is, i think the bigger issue with defense and pressure is the horrible blitz plays. you can get pressure with blitzing, but you have to hot route different rush angles and positioning pre play to make them work.

this ties into blocking as well. the o line picks up the blitz way too fast. lets say im running a zone blitz with my de dropping back into coverage. the tackle should be focused on that de for a couple seconds before he realizes he is not rushing. not instantly picking up the next available target. same can be said about delayed blitzes. if the guard doesnt have anyone to block, he should help the center or vise versa. once they engage, then it should take a couple seconds before he can disengage to pick up that late rusher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
Rookie

pigsooie3's Arena

OVR: 5

I was playing a guy who plays Man Cover 2 and only rushes 2 down linemen and qb spy with a linebacker and he roams with the DT. That leaves 5 offensive linemen on 2 defensive ends, but he was getting sacks on me because even though its 5 on 2 the game makes the interactions like 1 on 1. It's pathetic that they haven't figured this out yet.

PSN:FrshOutaBubblGum

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »