Home

So, players are still running on a turntable?

This is a discussion on So, players are still running on a turntable? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Rookie

pendo's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: So, players are still running on a turntable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Yea the lack of true footplanting is killing me as well, yes I saw it in some of the gameplay they showed but much more often then not players were turning on a dime and sliding all across the place. Footplanting is one of the most important parts of football. Thats one of the problems with the super LBs they can just step to the left and immediately ascend in the air to the right without actually planting their feet and jumping. Hopefully for 14 footplanting, line interactions and WR/DB interactions get touched heavily.
I think we will be waiting for the next gen.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Gentlemen, all I'm really looking for is an acknowledgement from the devs and if they are going to change it back to the way its supposed to be. If not, please just tell us that. I stated in a previous post that I'd made my peace with this situation but not really lol.

I'm curious to know if the devs keep a timeline chronology of additions and subtractions to the game over the years? The reason I'm curious about it is I wonder if the current central gameplay team is even aware that this was done a few years ago or not. With the changing of developers over the past couple of years, are the new guys even aware of this? Do they even know how it was done? Do they know about that focus group?

It only makes sense that if they're touting realism that this issue would've been resolved by now. What, within the code was actually tweaked to link the analog to the wacked out player movement? What was tweaked that made the turn radius so sharp and clean completely eradicating the illusion of weight within the players?

It couldn't have been something that cant be done in one iteration/yearly development cycle, because it changed.... just like that (snapping my fingers)
which means it can be changed (just like that) back to what its supposed to be. You all following me on this? See what I'm saying?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Rookie

pendo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Gentlemen, all I'm really looking for is an acknowledgement from the devs and if they are going to change it back to the way its supposed to be. If not, please just tell us that. I stated in a previous post that I'd made my peace with this situation but not really lol.

I'm curious to know if the devs keep a timeline chronology of additions and subtractions to the game over the years? The reason I'm curious about it is I wonder if the current central gameplay team is even aware that this was done a few years ago or not. With the changing of developers over the past couple of years, are the new guys even aware of this? Do they even know how it was done? Do they know about that focus group?

It only makes sense that if they're touting realism that this issue would've been resolved by now. What, within the code was actually tweaked to link the analog to the wacked out player movement? What was tweaked that made the turn radius so sharp and clean completely eradicating the illusion of weight within the players?

It couldn't have been something that cant be done in one iteration/yearly development cycle, because it changed.... just like that (snapping my fingers)
which means it can be changed (just like that) back to what its supposed to be. You all following me on this? See what I'm saying?
I'll bump this. Can anyone from ea give us an indication of their intentions?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4
Icon12 Re: So, players are still running on a turntable?

This has always been my #1 flaw with this game, No Physics! With the A.I. a close 2nd.

A physics based engine would eliminate most of the flaws in this game. All of us have those, "thats not even physically possible" or "thats so unrealistic" moments.

We've all seen the players glide around the field and cut and accelerate in coverage. Or the the "school of fish" the defenders move with as your running back a kickoff/punt. This is why the punt and kickoff return game is so flawed. Most of time kick/punt returners can make the first few guys miss just because the gunners are running so fast and their momentum takes them past the returner, not on this game they cut instantly and make the tackle. This is just one part of the game that physics will fix.

On screens oL kill db's who try to take on their blocks, on this game db's will not only stonewall the linemen who has a 100 lbs on them but also make the tackle on a 250 lb rb running with a full head of steam.

Football is the most physics based sport in the world how can it not be in the game!!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype561
This has always been my #1 flaw with this game, No Physics! With the A.I. a close 2nd.

A physics based engine would eliminate most of the flaws in this game. All of us have those, "thats not even physically possible" or "thats so unrealistic" moments.

We've all seen the players glide around the field and cut and accelerate in coverage. Or the the "school of fish" the defenders move with as your running back a kickoff/punt. This is why the punt and kickoff return game is so flawed. Most of time kick/punt returners can make the first few guys miss just because the gunners are running so fast and their momentum takes them past the returner, not on this game they cut instantly and make the tackle. This is just one part of the game that physics will fix.

On screens oL kill db's who try to take on their blocks, on this game db's will not only stonewall the linemen who has a 100 lbs on them but also make the tackle on a 250 lb rb running with a full head of steam.

Football is the most physics based sport in the world how can it not be in the game!!
First off. I would love a physics based engine also man. Now with what I'm about to type, I'm not trying to excuse the devs from trying to implement one, but a physics based engine is not really needed.

We didn't have a physics based engine during the PS2/XBox era but the illusion of momentum and weight was in the game. Maybe not a perfect representation but it was there. Point being, (I understand I'm not a dev) I'm going to go out on a limb and say it cant be that difficult to correct this problem.

In my opinion its all about attention to detail. Pop in Madden or NCAA 11 on PS2 and go into practice mode and really study the players and how they move. Of course you'll notice that drastic changes in direction without loss of speed just cant happen.

You'll also notice that a completely different type of model is used current gen. The current gen player model is extremely stiff and rigid, (they dont seem to have individual limbs that move independently) while the last gen models were like marionettes (they had individual limbs) and they seemed to be actually anchored down and heavy.

Madden 12 slightly improved on this, but the player models still appear to be one solid upper/lower body without the loose movement in the hip area that we had last gen.

I dont know how they did it, but last gen Madden was more like backbreaker. It was a marionette/ragdoll player model that seamlessly transitioned into mocapped animations at the proper times. Dig into it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Watch and compare the collisions in last gen and current gen If you haven't already. Watch and compare how the avatars turn the corner on a sweep play in last gen and current gen.

Like I say, I just want to know if they're going to do something about it or not. Please stop ignoring the threads about player movement. It just seems like they're trying to take us as some nutjobs imagining ****. If they're not going to change it just state that you're not and your reasoning behind it. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
MVP

Gents, we might be in business.

"The running game plays differently this year because they tuned player movement a bit. Honestly, the way it felt when running trying to find a whole was one of the things I complained about. They tuned it so you can't swerve all over the field (especially the ball carrier), but at low speed I thought it was a bit TOO tuned down".

Thats quoted from one of the game changers over at tradition sports who's had actual hands on. Now lets just hope that the devs keep it that way and dont fold under pressure to the arcade boys before release. Even if its not fully tuned back to our last gen standards I'll fully appreciate this. I'll take small steps. Gradually bringing it back is cool with me. As long as its not like the previous couple of years.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

^ I agree, I know we probably wont get a new physics based engine until the next gen and I know that last gen did not have a physics engine but it did give off that illusion.

I would be happy if they took last gens movement, updated the graphics(what we have now is fine) and add all the animations that we have now plus what their adding this year. This would be a lot better than what we have now.

To add to that a simple algorithm can be added for certain animations for instance: if player A is larger than player B when they collide- player A pushes player B back, depending on velocity each player, this could also take into account certain player ratings such as strength etc.

PS2 engine with PS3 graphics and animations = win for us.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Rookie

pendo's Arena

bump bump bump. Come on ea, just have a rep make a statement!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »