Home

Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Icons

This is a discussion on Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Icons within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6
Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Icons

I really like the new feature in NCAA Football 13 that greys out the passing icons until the receiver would actually be looking for the pass. This is a realistic aspect of the game. A WR (especially running a long route) knows when to expect the ball and concentrates on running the right route and beating his man up to the point that he expects the QB to throw the ball. If he is running a streak route, he knows his first priority is to get behind the DB. He doesn't expect the ball until a certain point on the field. He doesn't look for the ball until after he has gotten to that point and had a chance to beat his man. NCAA now simulates this important aspect of the passing game, which will make the game much more realistic and much more challenging, then they give you a way to not have to use the feature at all. I don't understand why you should be able to user catch for a WR who is realistically not looking for the ball at all. It doesn't make sense. You should not be able to catch the ball with a receiver who is not prepared for the ball to be thrown to him, or at the very least your chances of doing so should be drastically reduced. Am I the only one to feel this way? I am more into playing a sim type game than just trying to win at all costs, so just wondering if I am in the minority on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Ico

One reason: online. Gamers who play ranked online are typically going to want complete control. They're used to switching and user catching, and they're going to expect that same control.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Ico

I agree with the OP 1000%, but as Broncos correctly states, because of H2H play, they wisely avoided the meltdown that would have ensued. I don't know the percentage of people who are online/H2H only players, but it's possible that they all would have boycotted the game because of this.

Every sports game, even sim heavy games like The Show and NBA 2K, make these concessions to H2H gamers. The games would be exponentially better, IMO, if they didn't, but they wisely don't want to lose the $$$ from those gamers.

The reality that these games need X amount of profit, definitely rains on our parade in terms of the quality that could be achieved.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
I really like the new feature in NCAA Football 13 that greys out the passing icons until the receiver would actually be looking for the pass. This is a realistic aspect of the game. A WR (especially running a long route) knows when to expect the ball and concentrates on running the right route and beating his man up to the point that he expects the QB to throw the ball. If he is running a streak route, he knows his first priority is to get behind the DB. He doesn't expect the ball until a certain point on the field. He doesn't look for the ball until after he has gotten to that point and had a chance to beat his man. NCAA now simulates this important aspect of the passing game, which will make the game much more realistic and much more challenging, then they give you a way to not have to use the feature at all. I don't understand why you should be able to user catch for a WR who is realistically not looking for the ball at all. It doesn't make sense. You should not be able to catch the ball with a receiver who is not prepared for the ball to be thrown to him, or at the very least your chances of doing so should be drastically reduced. Am I the only one to feel this way? I am more into playing a sim type game than just trying to win at all costs, so just wondering if I am in the minority on this?
You can throw the ball before the icons light up, but that doesn't mean the receiver is going to react and catch the ball.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunLMason
You can throw the ball before the icons light up, but that doesn't mean the receiver is going to react and catch the ball.
if you throw the ball to a dimmed WR, you can switch to that WR and user catch, even if the WR isn't looking. That's the contention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 29

I agree to a point, but what about when the WR should be looking for the ball earlier than planned because of a blitz or something unexpected and the game doesn't make the correction by itself don't we want the ability to do it ourselves? I get that people online exploit stuff like that, but I still think I prefer the way it is now.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
I agree to a point, but what about when the WR should be looking for the ball earlier than planned because of a blitz or something unexpected and the game doesn't make the correction by itself don't we want the ability to do it ourselves? I get that people online exploit stuff like that, but I still think I prefer the way it is now.
In the Podcast, Larry says that when certain blitzes happen, the receiver will become a hot read and the Icon will light up early.

I would like it if low awareness and route running receivers would not get the early light up, because that happens all the time in real games. Receivers fail to read the blitz and the QB gets killed or throws a pick.

I want ratings to matter as much as possible and not be totally overridden by User omniscience.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Just because the option is there, doesn't mean you have to use it. Different strokes for different folks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »