Home

No Coaching Carousel Improvements?

This is a discussion on No Coaching Carousel Improvements? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: No Coaching Carousel Improvements?

I really can't even begin to wrap my mind around how bare-bones of an attempt was made at a coaching carousel last year. Only two coordinator positions, only two coach ratings (which really don't mean that much expect maybe in recruiting), no ability to hire/fire your own staff as a head coach, no offensive/defensive playbooks attached to a coach, etc.

How is this mode any different than the dynasty modes we had in years past? You had goals to meet in each job and received offers from other schools at the end of the year (if you were successful). So, you could start at a small school and work your way up the ladder to a BCS power. That was nothing new. I guess only controlling one side of the ball as a coordinator and watching from a different camera angle was new, but was that really it? I didn't play it, so for those that have, if there's something else really different then please correct me. But I read quite a bit about the mode and these seemed like the only aspects that were really different than before.

I have to ask, where were the teaching, scouting, recruiting, playcalling, etc ratings for each coach? Where were offensive/defensive philosophies for each coach? Where was the drama for you as a head coach to try to keep your hot-shot offensive coordinator from getting snatched away by another school? Where was the dilemma for you to either bring in a big-time coordinator who runs a different system, or hire someone less-qualified but will keep the same system in place? There's simply so much that could be done with this mode.

For this to be one of the "big" features last season, be as stripped down as it turned out to be, and then (allegedly) go largely untouched this year is just astounding to me.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 13

That last part is what I mean. CC was a great idea, but leaving it as is to me is just stupid. There were more complaints about the CC than qb problems last year. People getting fired for no reason. Old goals causing firings even when the coach has been winning. I have to ask where the dev's heads were in just ignoring an obviously incomplete program.

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #35
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6

This is astoundingly bad news.

I could get over the gameplay issues last year but it was CC that kept me interested. That was until after spending 6 great years at Memphis I couldnt get any decent jobs while my OC went from D to A+ and got the Top job at USC!!!!!!

CC is a great feature on paper and would keep me interested in playing multiple seasons if only it worked properly. It just becomes a boring game of digital football eventually.

Oh well maybe they will fix it next year and sell it as a new feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

I think EA might be mailing the 2013 game cycle in. When the lead is new receiver catching animations, I wonder if the development team isn't already looking ahead to the next generation transition. How bad was that first edition of NCAA Football on XBOX360? It was a demo.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #37
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivals
I think EA might be mailing the 2013 game cycle in. When the lead is new receiver catching animations, I wonder if the development team isn't already looking ahead to the next generation transition. How bad was that first edition of NCAA Football on XBOX360? It was a demo.
If all you saw was "New receiver catch animations!!", then you missed quite a bit.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #38
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Well the bad news is in it seems. That makes it a no buy for me. Time to make a statement with the wallet, even if it's a small one. Sorry, EA. You lost a customer who has purchased for 14 straight years. Dynasty is crippled with the poor functioning coaching carousel in spite of all these nice new additions. Maybe the fixes will make it in next year and I can come back. I sure hope so.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
If all you saw was "New receiver catch animations!!", then you missed quite a bit.
Oh yeah, new quarterback drop animations too! The dynasty and "gameplay" vids were very underwhelming seeing how hard EA sells new features. New features that end up having glitches, which then need patches. At least, that was my experience with 2012 and to a lesser extent 2011. Perhaps EA is going to under sell and over deliver this year? One can hope.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #40
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
Well the bad news is in it seems. That makes it a no buy for me. Time to make a statement with the wallet, even if it's a small one. Sorry, EA. You lost a customer who has purchased for 14 straight years. Dynasty is crippled with the poor functioning coaching carousel in spite of all these nice new additions. Maybe the fixes will make it in next year and I can come back. I sure hope so.
How do you know for 100% certainty that it isn't at least somewhat fixed/adjusted? If I remember correctly, false "information" came out a few years ago which made many, many people mad and they claimed it was a "no buy" because of it after they heard the news. However, when the game finally came out, it was in the game. I wish I could remember what it was, but this kind of overreaction happens nearly every year at this point of the game cycle.

Don't believe what you hear unless you hear it from someone at EA. If you hear it from EA, then you can go ahead with your no-buy stance and I won't say anything.

Someone saying "to my knowledge" shouldn't be enough to just completely rule out the possibility of them at least fixing some of the issues.

Last edited by BA2929; 05-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »