Home

3 modes that would have been better than "Heisman Mode"

This is a discussion on 3 modes that would have been better than "Heisman Mode" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: 3 modes that would have been better than "Heisman Mode"

I just wish they'd go back to putting things in that are fun.

And that's not some knock on gameplay or whatever, what I mean is we had stuff on the older games like classic teams (loved them), collecting cards, unlocking things by getting points in games or whatever, mini games, the dorm room and all of that for RTG, all of those things were really just in the game for fun.

What they've done is tried to make the whole thing into a more cohesive package; to make everything 'slicker.' Collecting cards for unlockable retro jerseys doesn't really tie in to a major game mode, so it doesn't make it. The dorm room wasn't necessary so it got cut. Progression could be done without mini games so they got cut. Classic teams weren't needed so they were left out along with 1-AA teams. The ability to create your own play/formation was quite open to abuse so even though it wouldn't hurt anyone in single player games/dynasties it went away.

And in the end the game is very sanitized. Everything fits together well, but there is nothing that I look at and get that ear to ear grin that I'd get when I was opening the Madden card packs and got a cool old player or stadium or something. Or when I'd play 2k5 and spend hours not even playing football games, just puttering around in the house you could get and playing the silly mini-games that you could unlock. We get good features, like the ability to swap conferences and coaching carousel, but nothing extra.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like a guy that really enjoys eating meatloaf, and EA is serving me good meatloaf. But just once I'd like for them to give me a little ice cream desert. Something unnecessary but fun. Something that makes me feel like the guys who made the game actually enjoyed making it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #26
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like a guy that really enjoys eating meatloaf, and EA is serving me good meatloaf. But just once I'd like for them to give me a little ice cream desert. Something unnecessary but fun. Something that makes me feel like the guys who made the game actually enjoyed making it.
Not that I'm ever going to play it once retail comes out, but you don't think Heisman mode represents them having fun? With all of the interviews and everything, it must have been awesome to make.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #27
Gun Slinga

Twenty Four's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I think these ideas were all fantastic when I posted about them at length nearly verbatim a week ago. Would be kind of nice to merge the two threads so we can keep up the dialogue and brainstorming on how various modes could be improved.

And to the posts talking about licensing issues for past players, remember that a historic classic moments mode has existed in previous NCAA versions. As long as the players are simply numbered like the current rosters, there is no "likeness" or royalty claim. As another poster mentioned, all they would really have to do is get the consent of the "legend" they are featuring (Vince Young, Tommie Frazier, etc) and then go numbers only for the rest of the historic team.

Just make the roster editable as our current rosters are and you've got no problem with licensing.
My bad, I couldn't remember where I got the ideas from, so I posted it. I knew I had read something like this. My apologies for not posting that in your thread.

@GatorGangB
PSN: GatorGangB
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/GatorGangB
SOS Crew All-Time: (123-71)
2-Time Crew Bowl Loser
Madden 18:
SOS- Lions/Jets
10YF- Cowboys
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #28
Gun Slinga

Twenty Four's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I just wish they'd go back to putting things in that are fun.

And that's not some knock on gameplay or whatever, what I mean is we had stuff on the older games like classic teams (loved them), collecting cards, unlocking things by getting points in games or whatever, mini games, the dorm room and all of that for RTG, all of those things were really just in the game for fun.

What they've done is tried to make the whole thing into a more cohesive package; to make everything 'slicker.' Collecting cards for unlockable retro jerseys doesn't really tie in to a major game mode, so it doesn't make it. The dorm room wasn't necessary so it got cut. Progression could be done without mini games so they got cut. Classic teams weren't needed so they were left out along with 1-AA teams. The ability to create your own play/formation was quite open to abuse so even though it wouldn't hurt anyone in single player games/dynasties it went away.

And in the end the game is very sanitized. Everything fits together well, but there is nothing that I look at and get that ear to ear grin that I'd get when I was opening the Madden card packs and got a cool old player or stadium or something. Or when I'd play 2k5 and spend hours not even playing football games, just puttering around in the house you could get and playing the silly mini-games that you could unlock. We get good features, like the ability to swap conferences and coaching carousel, but nothing extra.

I feel the same way. I enjoy The little extras that were in old games. My favorite was ncaa '06. Where instead of getting assigned a "sparq rating" you did drills for your points. And as you mentioned ...the dorm room. 06 was personally my favorite ncaa title.

I wish EA would put back in "the little things"

@GatorGangB
PSN: GatorGangB
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/GatorGangB
SOS Crew All-Time: (123-71)
2-Time Crew Bowl Loser
Madden 18:
SOS- Lions/Jets
10YF- Cowboys

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »