Home

Blocking like this really scares me in NCAA13

This is a discussion on Blocking like this really scares me in NCAA13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Blocking like this really scares me in NCAA13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvellousOne
To be honest that was just a good defensive effort by the LB, at least he didn't SUPER jump or anything weird he just made a heck of a play on the ball, and that does seem to be a new animation or at least to me cause I never seen it before. Maybe it was a errand throw who knows, I haven't been able to throw the lob over top pass yet so beats me if it works correct or not.

The first video though was terrible, I can't stand the blocking AI hopefully the full version is better at pass blocking.

I don't know if this is really good play I need to see if it was a bullet and I can't tell. There was a 5 yard gap from the receiver and the LB, not only that he was throwing it up field which was add another 3-5 yards. The LB made up minimum 10 yards by jumping that high. The QB was at least 8 yards away from the line of scrimmage, that should have dropped over the LB and the safety could have picked it off but don't agree with the LB getting it
Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #58
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksharp
You're right in real football a DE NEVER goes untouched to the QB. NEVER. It's always a perfectly formed pocket. There is nothing more unrealistic than a T and TE tripping over each other and missing a block. Next thing you know a WR will drop a pass or a LB will miss a tackle. Heck a QB may even make a bad throw. If EA doesn't start making it so the play works exactly like it's drawn up just like it ALWAYS does in real life I'm gonna stop buying this game.
I don't think the OP is trying to claim everything should work flawlessly every time, I think he just wants his blocker(s) who is (are) in perfect position to block that DE to, you know, try and block him.

You cannot possibly look at that play and justify what happened as "realistic." The problem is that the NCAA series relies on the unrealistic as a form of difficulty. Since they have not taken the time to program the interactions correctly, the only way the CPU can put up a fight is through unrealistic things, like this. Or like automatically knowing your play call when you break the huddle.

That's just the way it is. Without plays like this, the CPU would be useless.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 6

Seeing this video brings a basic question to mind - does the software pre-determine the play outcome, then attempt to match an animation with that pre-determined outcome? If so, then the apparent total ignoring of the onrushing defensive player makes more sense and the animation chosen just happens to make the two blockers look foolish.

However, if the action is supposed to be "real-time", then there certainly is a problem with two blockers just watching a defender rush by them.

If the software pre-determines the play outcome for every game situation, then there will be some animations which don't seem to make sense, because there are a limited number of available animations and there are limitations in the software related to choice of the best possible animation to reflect a particular situation.

I have read some other threads related to so-called "real-time physics". Perhaps real-time-physics would address this issue dofferently.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #60
Banned

Pmoney327's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I don't think the OP is trying to claim everything should work flawlessly every time, I think he just wants his blocker(s) who is (are) in perfect position to block that DE to, you know, try and block him.

You cannot possibly look at that play and justify what happened as "realistic." The problem is that the NCAA series relies on the unrealistic as a form of difficulty. Since they have not taken the time to program the interactions correctly, the only way the CPU can put up a fight is through unrealistic things, like this. Or like automatically knowing your play call when you break the huddle.

That's just the way it is. Without plays like this, the CPU would be useless.
You know, I wouldn't have mind the entire thing, if the CPU had some sort of last ditch effort animation where either the TE or the LT would just try to lay out and slow down the blitzing DE, or just flail their arms towards him, something to some what impede the progress other than stand there and just allow him to loop around them.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #61
Rookie

Custon 89's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmoney327
You know, I wouldn't have mind the entire thing, if the CPU had some sort of last ditch effort animation where either the TE or the LT would just try to lay out and slow down the blitzing DE, or just flail their arms towards him, something to some what impede the progress other than stand there and just allow him to loop around them.
Or get penalty for holding by reaching out. Hopefully this is address next year or a no-problem in next gaming consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #62
Rookie

USFBullsFan11's Arena

OVR: 5

If you can 100% tell me that this will be the outcome every time that this exact play is run against this exact defense, then I will say that the game made a huge mistake on this one. However, from what I can see, you had bad luck, there's a small glitch in the demo version of the game that may very well make it's way into the full version, but it is a video game. Just like every other video game ever made it does have glitches. This doesn't happen every down or more people would notice. Hell last year you had DB's that would just run backwards non-stop before the snap and get way out of position. It's a video game. These things happen. If 1 out of every 100 blocks really blows the game for you, feel free not to pick it up, but let's not act like this is normal. I think the big issue here is how spoiled the people are on here that haven't played the old pixel football games of the past. Some didn't even have 11 guys on each team and we're complaining now that an individual lineman isn't blocking exactly how he would in real life? I can't be the only one that grew up playing with a vibrating football table with little plastic football men that you had to paint and if you lost the ball you had to use a vitamin. Take it for what it is. I get annoyed with EA as much as the next person at times, but I'm sorry. EA never advertised to me that the blocking was going to be 100% exactly like real life and would never be subject to a glitch. Suck it up, it's a video game. They weren't able to input the animation of a confused looking TE or a OL tripping over his TE being out of position or the DE was just far enough from the blockers that it didn't trigger the function of going after them. No matter what the situation, it's an amazing video game that is so lifelike already that it has you all complaining about something as complex as the blocking system not being good enough. Go play any one of the old football games for any other gaming system ever and then look at this replay again. If this is what we have to complain about. I will take it every day of the week.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #63
Rookie

USFBullsFan11's Arena

OVR: 5

Btw, it's already been said, but the passing mechanics are different in this years game. Pushing up on the joystick when you throw doesn't lob the ball, it just throws it to a different spot on the field. This blatantly wasn't a lobbed pass as anyone could tell you that has thrown a lob pass in this game. So that you know, it's all about how long you press down the button. Not how hard. If you gently press the button, but hold it down, it will be a bullet pass. When you look at the replay, the linebacker doesn't actually get more than maybe a foot and a half off the ground, which says to me that this is a great animation. As for your passing, it takes some getting used to the new engine. It's more evident on the deep ball, but throw a couple passes and don't worry about if they get picked or whatnot since it's the demo. Just watch where it goes when you press what buttons or sticks and how long you hold each down etc. GL. Hope the game grows on you a bit.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #64
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFBullsFan11
If you can 100% tell me that this will be the outcome every time that this exact play is run against this exact defense, then I will say that the game made a huge mistake on this one. However, from what I can see, you had bad luck, there's a small glitch in the demo version of the game that may very well make it's way into the full version, but it is a video game. Just like every other video game ever made it does have glitches. This doesn't happen every down or more people would notice. Hell last year you had DB's that would just run backwards non-stop before the snap and get way out of position. It's a video game. These things happen. If 1 out of every 100 blocks really blows the game for you, feel free not to pick it up, but let's not act like this is normal. I think the big issue here is how spoiled the people are on here that haven't played the old pixel football games of the past. Some didn't even have 11 guys on each team and we're complaining now that an individual lineman isn't blocking exactly how he would in real life? I can't be the only one that grew up playing with a vibrating football table with little plastic football men that you had to paint and if you lost the ball you had to use a vitamin. Take it for what it is. I get annoyed with EA as much as the next person at times, but I'm sorry. EA never advertised to me that the blocking was going to be 100% exactly like real life and would never be subject to a glitch. Suck it up, it's a video game. They weren't able to input the animation of a confused looking TE or a OL tripping over his TE being out of position or the DE was just far enough from the blockers that it didn't trigger the function of going after them. No matter what the situation, it's an amazing video game that is so lifelike already that it has you all complaining about something as complex as the blocking system not being good enough. Go play any one of the old football games for any other gaming system ever and then look at this replay again. If this is what we have to complain about. I will take it every day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFBullsFan11
Btw, it's already been said, but the passing mechanics are different in this years game. Pushing up on the joystick when you throw doesn't lob the ball, it just throws it to a different spot on the field. This blatantly wasn't a lobbed pass as anyone could tell you that has thrown a lob pass in this game. So that you know, it's all about how long you press down the button. Not how hard. If you gently press the button, but hold it down, it will be a bullet pass. When you look at the replay, the linebacker doesn't actually get more than maybe a foot and a half off the ground, which says to me that this is a great animation. As for your passing, it takes some getting used to the new engine. It's more evident on the deep ball, but throw a couple passes and don't worry about if they get picked or whatnot since it's the demo. Just watch where it goes when you press what buttons or sticks and how long you hold each down etc. GL. Hope the game grows on you a bit.
Dude...use the enter key.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »