Home

Why do we play?

This is a discussion on Why do we play? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Why do we play?

i really like '13. i've gotten a bunch of practice gaming in, and slider adjustment time. ready for rosters, so i can start my dynasty.

the reason i play the game is to take my favorite team, and build them the way i like. i can create a team that's all my own.

i just love the dynasty aspect of the game. i get extremely addicted to it. look forward to playing it. i haven't started yet this season, but very excited to play with all the new features.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

I play because i love college football and love simulating the progress of my favorite program. in spite of all it's flaws, this game is a dream come true for me. i remember as a kid playing 4th and inches on commodore 128. I would name my team, players, and opponents and play out the season. I would keep stats on a notepad and total everything up after each game.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm a lot like the OP. It's my method of escapism, along with Madden and The Show. I give two s#*ts what Snookie or Big Ang are doing. I don't watch much on TV, other than sports and maybe 3 weekly shows.
There are certainly frustrations with this and other video games; the exporting feature being removed is the biggest thing for me. But, I still manage to have fun. Though, I am skipping both games this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Moz
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcha
LOL @ Moz. Yeah, I remember those days, too. Front Page Sports was a pioneer in the way of stats and simulation, for those that played that series on the PC. They blew it when they tried to update the graphics engine back in 99 and now they're a relic that isn't talked about much.

I guess the bottom line for me is that folks are taking this game way too seriously. When someone gets visibly or audibly upset about a video game it's time to rethink priorities.
I'll never forget College Football USA 97 when they finally allowed Create a Player and you could set up a Playoff tourney at the end of the year....ah good times.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Rookie

Sabredj's Arena

OVR: 5

Because first and foremost college football is in my blood. As a Florida alum, I remember the exhilaration of cheering on my team year after year since high school, and also playing the video game during those teenage years from Bill Walsh to the present. It's been 2 decades now and as an adult veteran to the video game, it's easy to remember the classic that was NCAA 2006 on the PS2. It's easy now to nit pick over the lack of DL interaction, money plays, bad blocking, and a lack of Dynasty Season presentation/immersion, just to name a few. Hell, they still can't give me in-game saves that we've all been asking for, for years. But much like you, I can still look over it all simply because, at the end of the day, I still enjoy playing it. Even if it's not meeting its full potential (or 2006 level of bells & whistles) yet.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Rookie

SammyC14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcha
The reviews have been interesting. The impressions have stirred the pot. Why is it we play this thing we call NCAA Football 13? For some, do you envision yourself as the team you're playing with, listening to the crowd scream your name as you run down the tunnel and onto the field? Or do you see this video game as a change to enjoy some semblance of football with a few collections of pixels on your television?

For me, this is what it always has been, a video game. Never perfect, always enjoyable. It isn't real football and if I want to play real football there are a number of adult football leagues around the country for that. Nope, I'm good there. Played enough growing up and in my early adult life that I don't want to subject my knees and back to that anymore. So this video game experience requires me to suspend reality for a little while and use my imagination. I luckily haven't forgotten how to do that. It seems a lot of folks these days don't know how to use their imagination anymore and want EA to do everything for them. That's okay, I guess, but that's not why I play the game. It's never quite that serious to me. It's a video game. I play it for personal enjoyment. I typically don't do things that cause me the frustration that so many are displaying lately. In my mind, if it's that frustrating, turn off your Xbox and step away from the television. Some are probably the same folks that spew hatred towards the referees when their favorite team loses because it was obviously the referees that missed 4 or 5 tackles, walked 7 batters, or missed 50% of their free throws during the game.

It's a video game, and I play it for the enjoyment I get. I can still remember tecmo bowl tournaments and madden tournaments on sega genesis. I can remember the turbo controllers and people using Detroit because you could hold down turbo C and tacklers would bounce off Barry Sanders as he spun like a whirling dirvish. We had fun playing the game and when we wanted real football we'd grab a football and go play. I'm thoroughly enjoying NCAA 13 and will finish season 1 tonight after work. There are a few tweaks I'm sure I'll have to make to the sliders, but the game is enjoyable and a break from bills, work, the economy, politics, and everything else in this world that pounds on us incessantly.

So, back to the subject line....why do you play?

I whole heartedly agree with this OP. If you dont like the game, put it down. If you don't like the way it was created, friggin get an education in software development and better yourself in the classroom and become a developer of the game to make it better.

I can see why some are frustrated in some aspects. For me, it would be the fact that if this were my job, and people were b*tching about how well I was doing my job, I would work even harder than before to be better. But really, are these limitations to the PS3 console itself? We cannot blame the game itself for that.

Not to mention, football cannot EVER, EVER be captured on the sticks. Playing football through college and being a student of the game has taught me enough to know that no matter what things look like on paper (or video game codes) you'll never be able to capture the hardwork, team work, passion, pride, toughness of an individual player or team. Football is a game of randomly occuring events which could never be simulated.

It's the best game there's ever been, don't diminish it because a damn video game isnt to your liking.

Sorry, maybe a little much.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Rookie

SlickRick11's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson16NCSU
because i love college football so much that even when I think I don't need this game I do. You see a great game on tv and it gets you pumped and makes you want to come onto this video game and create your own amazing games. You want to execute that one big play that changed the game.
EXACTLY.....EA banks on this strategy, no matter how glitched or bugged the game may seem at times its the only current college football game you can buy and they know that if you truly love college football and you play video games then its a can't miss.....My love for College Football(the game that I see on TV) makes EA $60 a year from me and I'll continue to buy it becaue I want to reinact a great game I saw on TV or make that one big play or be in a great sim league in an online dynasty or create myself in RTG.....I love the game, could it be better? yes it could but I completely agree with the OP.....a little bit of imagination can go a long way

-5 time National Champions (the same as Florida and Florida State.....COMBINED)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Rookie

brutx15's Arena

OVR: 0

I play it because I love the game of college football. Simple as that. Even after a Thursday night game on ESPN, and the two teams playing are from C-USA, WAC, MAC, or something alike. (really whoever it is) If I get an interest in the game that is being played, I enjoy getting on the game and playing a game with those teams. There is nothing like college football, and while the game doesn't get it perfect. It is better than not having a game at all. People have far too high of expectations for a video game, and they expect perfection. Otherwise they bash it as being a failure... It's not just NCAA either, once Madden come around. There will be the same bashers.

Heck when I don't have the game. I may even go back and hook up the old SEGA, and play some College Football National Championship. That game is really what started it all for me, lol.

Last edited by brutx15; 07-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »