Home

Recruiting 101

This is a discussion on Recruiting 101 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #233
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Recruiting 101

Quick call is garbage, IMO. It's only for if you really don't have time to go through the recruiting, or if there's a few guys you're just trying to unlock some pitches for, but you don't care about being specific. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't have any focus. After I have a guy visit (or soft commit), I'm not interested in unlocking my C- pitches, I want to hammer home my best pitches and grab points. I view recruiting as a mathematical equation where there's are hidden targets I need to hit.

I disagree with a lot of people about the use of scholarships. I've recruited with both good schools and bad schools, but I start by identifying all of the guys who have high interest in me, and offering them scholarships right away if I think they're decent players. If you're a bad school, that 100-200 pts for a scholarship is much more valuable than many of the traditional pitches you could do. Also, in weeks where I either forgot or ran out of time before offering a scholarship, their interest plummets next week relative to guys who do have the scholarship offer.

I understand that people are trying to reverse engineer the game to figure out how to get instant commits, etc. I view it more as a volume thing...I want the highest number of potentially good 3* - 5* I can get. As I scout further, I can cut guys loose if it appears they're busts or if the effort to get them won't be worth what they appear to be. Keep in mind that even a "bust" 4* may be in the mid-60's or low-70's, so there's certainly value there even if he isn't a stud.

Scouting is very important, but I use it a little differently. As a long term strategy, I want to compile pipeline states. For example, with Michigan, I have MI, OH, MO, and IL as my pipelines. That's a pretty good lock on the Midwest, but it needs one of the big-time states like TX, CA, or FL(which I had, but lost) and then I'll be in really good shape. The key is to get to 4 players from that state, but it doesn't matter if they're stars or scrubs. Once I find a state that has 2 or 3 players on my team for next year, I go to that state and try to recruit about 2-4 of their 2* or 3* guys that are in "Top 10" phase. The key is to check their school list and see if they only have one school interested. If so, you can catch up with that player, even if he hasn't listed you. The rule of thumb is that you need to probably be at a -200 or better, or it isn't worth the effort.

Some people may disagree with this strategy because they want to wait and use the scouting before tossing out the scholarship. I disagree. I think in the new format, there are many reasons you may recruit a player, and it's not just because he's a star. You may want to fulfill a pipeline requirement, or just fill in guys at the back end of position where you already have stars. Once you have 4 or more pipeline states established, you'll have a good opportunity to sign at least one star player at virtually any position.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #234
Banned

OVR: 0

Almost had this 80 overall CB. I was in the 4th week of the off season when i found him. I managed to get to his top 3, but on the last week(5th week) the game didnt let me visit him....
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #235
Rookie

OVR: 0

I keep 35 prospects on my board under certain conditions.
1. I still have plenty of scholarships to offer.
2. I have have a substancial lead on all of my needed positions.
3. I am behind other teams in points but have the only offer for that prospect. I have been way behind on a prospect then late in the season start rising again because the CPU teams must stop recruiting that prospect. I have moved up in interest for recruits that I removed from my board as well. I will quick call ten minutes just to keep some interest in recruits with no offers. I have landed four star recruits this way. This is a good choice especially when you are competing with the CPU for several recruits at the same position. Odds are the CPU team is looking to get one or two not all of the recruits at a certain position on the board. So stay the second choice on one of them.
4. When choosing recruits look at their ratings and your pitch screen to see how high your playing time and play style rate for the recruits position. These two ratings seem to matter a lot to four and five star recruits. You can thump bigger schools when comparing these two when you are better here.
5. Never give up on your/other teams soft commits when you are close. I have stolen and lost soft commits they are not definite commits.
6. Load your board with interested and pipeline players first.
7. I personally offer scholly and no redshirt, and playing time early a strong head start on points seems to matter in my opinion. I imagine the CPU teams consider your point lead when dropping interest in recruits.
8. Like others have said go after recruits who can play other positions. A slow but strong safety may get little interest and be an easy recruit to move to linebacker. A fast but weak OL could become a fullback. LB switch to DL. Some WR can become TE vice versa etc. Go after athletes who can play several positions.
9. Especially for OL and DL recruit the best T, G, C. and plug them in the OL or DE, DL, in the DL where ever their is an open roster spot. Speed, streghth, and skills combined trump awareness ratings reduced by switching their positions.
10. Go after four and five stars even when they are busts they are often still better then three star recruits and they do progress.

In my second year with UMASS I was 18th in recruiting on HEISMAN.

Last edited by Mr.Coach Mode; 09-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #236
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think Heisman is easy to recruit on. This is what I do when I am a lower star team with nothing special I go for more athletes they usually don't make up their minds until late in season or off season. Find 3 star gems which is pretty easy promise conference, freshman all American if I know they can get it, and game at home.

When I am a 5 star or 6 star team I fill board to 35 with whoever I don't replace player if they commit to someone else. I hate having to cut 12 guys a year even though it usually happens 3-4 are from cpu in the offseason.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #237
Rookie

OVR: 1
Icon6 Re: Recruiting 101

I've been at this NCAA thing forentirely too long... That said, here are a few successful recruiting methodsI've used over the years.fficeffice" />>
  • Fill your entire board. All 35, all of the time. You will lose some recruits to other teams along the way. Take your time when selecting who you will recruit. Newly added "scout" option has made this easier.>
  • IMO there is nothing worse than allowing the CPU to assist in recruiting in any way, shape or form. If you have limited experience or time on your hands, than it is up to you but the CPU is the worst recruiter in the country - year in and year out. They'll offer a 2 star FB because of need over a 5 star OLB. That is inexcusable, for my squad anyway. >
  • Smaller tip but still important is be mindful of the terms when signing a contract extension. If I know I'm going to stay at a school for a while, I will specifically look to sign extensions that DO NOT require that all needs be filled prior to season. This gives lee-way on recruiting, particularly linemen. Any 4-5 star OL will succeed at any of the positions. Also allows you to recruit TE's and play them at FB. Essentially, I do not like having my recruiting dictated to me. >
  • Make any and all offers week 1. Start with players who have you 1st on their board. I consistently get at least 1 immediate signing, most times 2-3. It is HUGE to sign a good player early as: 1. You just signed a target and 2. You now can use your limited recruiting time on other potential recruits for the remainder of the season.... This has become an even better strategy since NCAA no longer adds new recruits for off-season. No need to worry about having a left over scholly for that 6'3" 240 5 star RB who no one seemed to notice throughout the year...lol... referrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">
  • I typically use 20-30 mins per player in week 1. Immediately make a promise, whichever you feel confident using, offer 2nd (cross your fingers and hope you sign 'em). Early promises are huge and they provide a large + in interest. Scholly + promise, even with only using 20 mins, will provide a similar or higher response that an 50-60 min call w/o them. >
  • Getting out to an early lead on your competitors also allows for a revised recruiting method later on. If the team behind you is -900 (arbitrary number for sake of argument), regardless of their Overall/Star rating, odds are you can cut down the amount of time used on them from week-to-week. >
  • Host visits as early. I will usually manipulate my schedule to have either a rival or top ranked team in the Week 4-6 range. Have as many come as possible. The sooner they have a successful visit, the sooner they give soft/hard commit. You will get your first wave of recruiting completed and will know exactly where you stand for later visits (Week 9-12). >
  • Lastly is something I've noticed so of my friends have over-looked over the years.. This might seem slightly ridiculous, but if you are OCD like me, then you can understand... It relates to pipelines... As w/ most players, come off-season I need to make some cuts. Keeping the better player isn't always the best decision. Be mindful that you do not lose a pipeline state over a couple overall points. Cut the 85 MLB from Illinois as opposed to the 82 MLB from FL to keep that plentiful, talented pipeline.>
This is my first post so take iteasy on me... I've read the majority of this thread and wanted to share anythoughts/tips that may assist another player. I'm sure I forgot a few pointsbut I will update whenever I think of it. Hope this helps and best of luck onthe trail!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »