Home

Why can't I run the ball???

This is a discussion on Why can't I run the ball??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why can't I run the ball???

i get 100+yds/game with Duke with Rblk/Rba at 45/45.I use a mriad of formations,single backs,i formation,waek and strong.I just read the holes and usually follow my FB and make my move.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

the key is to not sprint until you get through the hole. be patient.. wait for your blockers. i play on AA and won the heisman with Ball in my Wisconsin dynasty with like 1900 yds and 23 tds
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Rookie

KillerNuts's Arena

OVR: 0

I have been able to run the ball with success unless the team has a very good front 7... which is realistic. In the past, it has always been way to easy to run the ball. You just have to hit the holes.
www.traditionsportsonline.com
Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUPride
Yes!!! Fullbacks are horribly useless they ignore blitz completely and cannot hold blocks
Dont know who you are playing with...but fullbacks are great. I have run for huge numbers behind my FB this year. He is only rated at 77, so not great, but I ran for 300+ on heisman (ILiveForThis Sliders). I form and Pistol w/the FB...its just dirty

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Rookie

I'l playing on AA default for now, running an option heavy spread based off Oregon's PB...and running is 75% of my offense.

If you are running from the spread:

- HB Draws are very effective, but it may take some time to learn to read (and set up) your blocks on the 2nd level. Assuming I call the draw in a reasonable situation, its usually 6-8 yds

- If your QB is a scrambler - the read option plays are brutal this year. Learn the reads - and be very careful to watch the formation to ensure you are using it in the right situation.

If anything, i'd say running is too easy right now on default AA using oregon's book.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

The biggest problem I'm seeing is linemen double-teaming the DT, but then not working to the second level. If there's no immediate threat, then it's smart to double the big man, but when there's a LB lined up right over the top of you, why would you not go get a hat on him? Or if you must double, give your teammate a little support but then quickly work up to the LB.

Instead, they double the DT and let the LB walk right into the backfield with me. A lot of times I get hit before I really even have a chance to make a move. Even if it isn't a blitz, the CPU reacts quickly enough to the run that you're not going to have much of a chance of getting away when the LB goes completely unblocked.

I've also had a few occurrences out of the Pistol - Full House formation where the entire left side of the line will whiff the DE and DT, and then my FB gets confused and blocks no one. As you can probably imagine, things don't work out so well for me when this occurs.

I've also seen some instances where the tackle bypasses the DE and goes straight for the LB. Well, that creates another set of problems. You can't let a DE get an unimpeded lane right at my RB. Again, I might have enough time to get off a juke, but he's going to tackle me for a loss 70-80% of the time.

In short, the run blocking AI seems much more random than in years past. And by random I mean blocking assignments that just don't seem to make much sense. 5 defenders in the box, 5 blockers on a dive play, just go hat-on-hat, right? Nope, play-side guard doubles and LB comes in free. It sure makes picking up those 3rd and 1's interesting.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

I've noticed a two things that have caused the run game to be different and forced me to adjust:

1) Lead blockers get tunnel vision and usually miss the first guy through the line. This combined with the fact that LB's and DL are all WAY too fast and plays tend to get blown up. I've started to combat this by motioning WR's and TE's to crack the end man on the line of scrimmage on outside runs or seal on interior runs. I wouldn't recommend that strategy out of the spread, but for a power running offense, it helps a ton.

2) The default speed threshold seems to be higher than last year, meaning the difference between fastest and slowest is pretty small. So linemen and linebackers are able to pursuit backs a lot easier than they previously can. The biggest thing here is that you need to get North and South as soon as the first hole opens. Doesn't matter what your run is, but you cannot stretch plays out as well as you used to. Even on sweeps and powers I am cutting up on the first hole I see. This should also combat #1 because you're cutting against the grain behind your blockers that do nothing.

The same concept holds true in the open field. When I'm on the open field with a blocker or two in front, I try and slow play it and cut against the grain rather than stretch. I feel like it engages the blockers a lot more effectively. I see less blockers turning back and getting in my way when I cut back to the middle.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

I have only played two full games thus far with 13. I run a one-back offense and use the UTEP playbook. In game one, I rushed 15 times for 115 yards with Mike Gillislee and in game two, I rushed 10 times for 65 yards with Demetris Murray. Grand total of 25 rushes for 180 yards on default Heisman. I don't think running is all that difficult this year, you just have to know when to run and how to use the right leverage. Just mixing up your play calls doesn't mean you are setting up the run properly. Do it right and you can find success.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »