Home

Haven't played online in awhile - what's considered good etiquette?

This is a discussion on Haven't played online in awhile - what's considered good etiquette? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Rookie

DOAsaturn's Arena

OVR: 10
Haven't played online in awhile - what's considered good etiquette?

I really have avoided playing any sports games online outside FIFA matches (because they are rather short and have had far less experience with quitters) and a handful of NHL games.

When it comes to NCAA, Madden or any other sports game that takes over 20 minutes to get through a game, I tend to stray far away. But I want to give NCAA a chance online, so last night I played a couple online games for the first time in years.

I wanted to try my created Georgetown team, accurately rated mostly in the D's, so on a Teambuilder match game I got to play a guy with Wayne State, rated A+ everywhere (lame). I decided to be a good sport and play through. I lost 38-0, and he did score on a passing TD with about 2:30 left and also went for it on fourth with a sizable lead late in the game. Generally, though, he ran the clock down throughout the late stages. I decided to take the high road and still congratulate him on walloping me (with a perfectly rated team).

Next game was the opposite. He was USC and I was FSU. I was up 27-0 and really slowed things down starting with my last possession of the third. He fumbled on a drive in the 4th where I would have had an easy touchdown, but I fell to the ground instead so I could just kill more clock and not run up the score. I also dd the same on a very late interception. I did nothing more than up the middle runs for the most part on my last 3-4 possessions. I ended up winning 27-7.

I hate running up the score, because I know it sucks to be on the other end of it but I also worry about quitters too. Plus, almost any three touchdown lead is safe in the final quarter-and-a-half with only 5 minute quarters. I just wanted to get some opinions on what is a good rule of thumb to follow in this game? What are your experiences while you have a big lead or find yourself way down? I was probably playing it a bit too conservative in that last one, but I felt I had complete control of that game.
Weekend Roady - http://www.weekendroady.com Sports and Travel. I'm a fan of the Nationals (MLB), Capitals (NHL), Wizards (NBA), Redskins (NFL), DC United/Montreal Impact (MLS), Crystal Palace (EPL) and too many college teams to count...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Haven't played online in awhile - what's considered good etiquette?

Just put the chew clock on. Then run the ball or throw short passes.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Rookie

hogfanhw81's Arena

OVR: 2

I played someone last night (me - Arkansas versus him - OU) he ran the majority of the game no-huddle (which OU does run a lot of no-huddle in real life), he went for two the first two touchdowns he scored and jumped out to an early 14 pt lead, and attempted onside kicks the majority of the first half. I stuck to my simulation style game of running the ball to set up the pass, and by the third quarter was only down by 6. He ended up pulling the plug while he had the ball in the third quarter, so I assume he felt that he was losing control of the game and wasn't going to win or lose upright.

Another thing I suggest is research the plays that are considered "cheese" plays and don't use them. 4 verticals is an example. It is often an unstopable play as the slot receivers are often wide open.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Rookie

DOAsaturn's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfanhw81
I played someone last night (me - Arkansas versus him - OU) he ran the majority of the game no-huddle (which OU does run a lot of no-huddle in real life), he went for two the first two touchdowns he scored and jumped out to an early 14 pt lead, and attempted onside kicks the majority of the first half. I stuck to my simulation style game of running the ball to set up the pass, and by the third quarter was only down by 6. He ended up pulling the plug while he had the ball in the third quarter, so I assume he felt that he was losing control of the game and wasn't going to win or lose upright.

Another thing I suggest is research the plays that are considered "cheese" plays and don't use them. 4 verticals is an example. It is often an unstopable play as the slot receivers are often wide open.
Wow I wasn't aware the four verticals play was cheese - I probably used it a couple times (in fact I did in the first game, but my Hoya receivers sucked and drop the wide open passes).

I noticed that my pass defense suffered horribly in zone as a lot of players tend to target those short-to-medium cross patterns that go to the middle of the field. I started playing a Man Coverage on nearly every play to counteract this and had great success. I wouldn't really consider that cheese though - just good defense to counter a predictable offensive gameplan.

Oh - and that Wayne State guy would often pause the game or use other stall tactics. I'm sure hoping I'd just quit and he'd get an easier win.
Weekend Roady - http://www.weekendroady.com Sports and Travel. I'm a fan of the Nationals (MLB), Capitals (NHL), Wizards (NBA), Redskins (NFL), DC United/Montreal Impact (MLS), Crystal Palace (EPL) and too many college teams to count...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Banned

LucasWVU's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOAsaturn
Wow I wasn't aware the four verticals play was cheese - I probably used it a couple times (in fact I did in the first game, but my Hoya receivers sucked and drop the wide open passes).

I noticed that my pass defense suffered horribly in zone as a lot of players tend to target those short-to-medium cross patterns that go to the middle of the field. I started playing a Man Coverage on nearly every play to counteract this and had great success. I wouldn't really consider that cheese though - just good defense to counter a predictable offensive gameplan.

Oh - and that Wayne State guy would often pause the game or use other stall tactics. I'm sure hoping I'd just quit and he'd get an easier win.
About the teambuilder game, thats not ranked so it doesn't count towards anything. Almost everyone online that you face will run up the score, etc. Its a video game. Online ranked matches are not sim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOAsaturn
It's not cheese at all. It's shutdown rather easily by a cover 4, man or a 0 blitz.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Rookie

Tyler_Bullard's Arena

OVR: 4

Don't run the 1-5-5 Prowl Bear Blitz all game.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Yung Goat 404's Arena

OVR: 5

Well Me Personally I Just Play My Game. If My Opponent Quits And I'm Winning It's Going To Give You The Option To Quit And Count Game Anyway So You Will Still Receive A Win. I Play The whole Game My Sim Style. Punt On 4th Down And All But I Don't Try To Take It Easy On No One Cause. Also I Don't Run The Four Verticals Play Cause I Always Considered It Cheese Also

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »