Home

An excessive amount of upsets in dynasty mode. Anyone else notice this?

This is a discussion on An excessive amount of upsets in dynasty mode. Anyone else notice this? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: An excessive amount of upsets in dynasty mode. Anyone else notice this?

I love it! lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Evildoer
Not seeing the issue here

Personally, I like the wackiness of dynasty. I like seeing smaller schools rise to prominence. I remember in one of the old games (04 or 05 I think)I had Arkansas State vs. Fresno State and Colorado State vs. Texas Tech for national titles along with Michigan, Florida, Florida State, and Miami becoming 1 star schools.

Of course, I root for a small school, so that may be why I enjoy that so much.

As far as how many upsets there are this year, I'm not sure that there are really that many more than there used to be. I think having the ticker during games maybe just makes them more noticeable. Something to think about anyway.
This. If over the course of my dynasty everything remained the same as real life, especially after I have gone thought the trouble of changing conferences around, etc. I would get bored really fast. I want upsets, I want the little guys to rise up and at least be able to win against the big boys. It isn't real life, but it works great for the video game. IMO.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

I'm in week 7 of season 1, Alabama has 3 losses (Michigan wasn't one of them). I think only one of their losses was against a ranked team. LSU just lost to an unranked team. Notre Dame fell out of the top 25 (ok that may be realistic, lol), USC has lost to an unranked team. That's all off the top of my head. So without doubt there's much more.

Upsets happen (although IRL they're usually more minor in nature than what I've seen so far) and I like upsets as much as the average guy, but come on.

Last year to counter this, I simmed many of the top 25 teams' games each week. If a ranked team was playing another ranked team then whatever happened happened. If a ranked team was playing an unranked team and the Team OVR was greater than a full grade different (for example A- vs C+ or lower), then I'd save before simming the game. If the lower team won, I'd back out and reload the dynasty and re-sim the game. If the lower team won again, I'd let it stand. That way I had some control over the programmed "wackiness" while still allowing major upsets.

Unfortunately this year since the sim results are done as you advance from week to week, there is no way to bring some sanity to the results.

Last edited by mcpheje; 07-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm in my 3rd year of Dynasty mode... TCU won the national championship the first year, and Georgia won it the 2nd year. That's not completely out there, IMO.

It is now week 11 of 2014 season, and the Top 25 coaches poll is as follows:

1. Nebraska 8-0 (My team)
2. Georgia Tech 8-0
3. Iowa 8-0
4. Texas 7-0
5. Arizona 8-0
6. Louisville 8-0
7. Notre Dame 9-1
8. Georgia 7-1
9. USA 7-1
10. Tennessee 7-2
11. Virgina 7-1
12. Fresno State 7-1
13. Michigan St. 6-2
14. Clemson 5-3
15. Southern Miss 7-1
16. Arkansas St. 7-1
17. Texas A&M 7-1
18. San Diego State 6-1
19. TCU 6-2
20. Oregon 6-2
21. Oklahoma 7-1
22. Rutgers 6-2
23. Ole Miss 6-2
24. LSU 4-3
25. Maryland 5-3

Others receiving votes: Wisconsin, Miami, Alabama, Missouri, Auburn, SMU, Ohio State, Va Tech

I guess the two biggest unrealistic ones are Arizona and Louisville being top 10 and undefeated, although Arizona has had a super easy schedule so far and have to play Oregon and USC back to back so we'll see how that goes, and as far as Louisville they've only really played Boise and Rutgers...the rest of their schedule is stupid easy.

The likes of Arkansas State and Southern Miss in the top 25 are, unusual, but neither team pulled an upset.

Bama's losses are against quality opponents...LSU has a loss to USF which doesn't bother me as if they were to lose against, say, Idaho or something...

I have to say, I'm not bothered by my results... in last year's game by 3-4 season into dynasty, I had Nevada constantly getting into the title game like 3 years in a row and winning it twice...until I finally moved them to a power conference, that (or something similar) hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=252460201

Had that happened in your Dynasty would you of thought it was BS? Upsets happen... a lot.
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
MLB: Texas Rangers
NCAA: Baylor

Producer/Graphic Artist/Animator-CBS
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't know if it's cause I turned off Injuries in my Rutgers dynasty but man...the upset issue went away over night for me. There's a ton of close games like Texas Tech 38 Washington State 37 or UGA 34 Buffalo 30 but outside of Michigan beating Alabama there's nothing too crazy going on. I've been closely watching the Top 25 every week to make sure it's not going crazy and it's been fairly consistent. Thank god. The upset's were honestly killing the game a bit for me.

Not sure it matters but the Year 1 BCS game was a 13-0 Oklahoma vs a 12-1 Arkansas team. I can't complain too much about that.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

8 weeks in, my Top 25 looks pretty solid.

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame
4. Wisconsin
5. Oklahoma
6. LSU
7. Alabama
8. Michigan
9. Florida St.
10. Oregon
11. Clemson
12. Kansas St.
13. South Carolina
14. Texas A&M
15. NC State
16. Georgia
17. Georgia Tech
18. Nebraska
19. Arkansas
20. TCU
21. West Virginia
22. Texas Tech
23. Florida
24. Utah
25. Louisville

Teams left undefeated are USC, Texas, Notre Dame, and Louisville

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

I think more than looking at the score and writing off Team scrub beating Team Elite as an unrealistic upset, it might be worth it to look at what key injuries a team had heading into the game. Or even if they were in the middle of a two game slide or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »