Home

Running The Option

This is a discussion on Running The Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Running The Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
The option doesn't work as a base offense IME because it's too conservative to work when you have this few possessions. Fewer plays means the D isn't getting as tired (they don't seem to scale fatigue well), which means the late game benefits of the option are never realized.

Plus the option pass is completely worthless, so that takes out one of the biggest threats.
I average about 250 yards/game running the triple option. This is with a cupcake team, on Heisman with matt10's sliders. I am in the MAC though, so my level of competition is about even.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
I average about 250 yards/game running the triple option. This is with a cupcake team, on Heisman with matt10's sliders. I am in the MAC though, so my level of competition is about even.
Cool, so you can run the options vs a cpu that doesn't give cloudy reads. The thing that sucks is that the other runs that set up the triple, and the compliments to it, don't work. WB toss still broke along with WB dive and midline.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Rookie

Alapalooza16's Arena

OVR: 0

The Flexbone triple option plays work and the B-Back load options work, however the A-Back speed option is hit or MISS because the A-Back does not get the corner and turn it upfield fast enough to gain solid yards after the pitch, however the QB on the keep read can turn the corner and gain 6-8 yards. The A-Back toss play does not work. EA changed the animation to prevent the defense from "intercepting" the pitch, however they shortened it up so much that the back does not get the corner again. A-Back dive and B-Back dive work as long as you do not change your Run block and RB ability slider below 45. If you lower your Run block slider to limit big plays you create stupid players that do not execute blocks nor find seams in the line to run through. Instead, increase the CPU Run defense slider up. Remember, if you up that slider too high though, the playside DE always crashes down on the B-Back - basically rendering him as a decoy. Also, the pass plays do work, but just like the option runs, you cannot commit to executing one play. You have to be flexible enough to bail out of the pass and stick with the option run play if the defense is giving it up.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
I actually have alot of success running the option out of power I-Form. Triple option or load option. Try running the load option out of twin WR set. Run to the opposite side of the WRs. On the triple option, when the DE takes the FB, run the QB down the line. If the OLB pushes the TE/T down field, run up the field a little behind the OLB but still running at an angle to side line so you can keep your HB to pitch to. When the safety comes for the QB, pitch to the HB. Hopefully the WR is still holding the block against the CB.

If DE stands up, hand off to the FB. My FB averages about 5 ypc. I've busted a few +25 yard runs up the middle with my FB.
I actually have success opposite of that. The only time I've ever gotten the I Form option to work is when I run it OPPOSITE of the TE, so in Twins I run it to the WR side.

The problem is that certain defensive fronts cause confusion for the blockers. If you run a 4 man front with the tackle aligned heads up on the guard to the side you're running the option, the guard will usually not block him and try to get to the second level. Which leads to one of two things, 1) The DT gets suction blocked into the center or 2) The DT blows the FB up.

I'd actually prefer that over the alternative, which is the G actually blocking that guy and the FB getting stuck on the guard and being unable to move. I've had plays where the option was very successful, but I play mostly users and it is incredibly easy for users to manipulate their defensive front to effectively shut down the option.

I am sticking with it, but I'll probably move to the pistol/gun spread option look instead of trying to run my Tom Osborne style I Option like I did last year.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0

I've had success running the option. Option passes seem to work for me. As well as read options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
I've had success running the option. Option passes seem to work for me. As well as read options.
Option passes actually are improved this year, especially out of the I and Flex. You can hit X to get the passing icons up almost immediately after the initial fake and then drop and hit your guy. My only complaint is that option passes don't allow hot routes and most of the routes on those plays are useless outside of the crossing route.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

The read option out of the spread works fine.

Using teams like Navy, Air Force, and Ga. Tech is damn near impossible.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
Rookie

The spread option with WVU back in 07 was unstoppable. The game seems to slow to run it successfully now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »