Home

We need a "fresh" presentation like Madden.

This is a discussion on We need a "fresh" presentation like Madden. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Banned

Lekcots11's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: We need a "fresh" presentation like Madden.

IMO, I wouldn't care if the crowd is loud or not if everytime the home team makes a good play, the audio cuts out. I honestly mute everything so i dont have to hear it. Its annoying and kills everything. But yes, I remember one year when they had Lee Corso picking games. That was neat. Brad doesnt need to be in the game anymore.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekcots11
IMO, I wouldn't care if the crowd is loud or not if everytime the home team makes a good play, the audio cuts out.
I'm glad you mentioned that, because I thought I had a problem either with the connection between my PS3 and my TV or my sound system.
The problem existed in '12 as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 0

Dude, you didn't even have to wait on Maddens release to notice this. NCAA dev team just doesn't seem to get it. Especially with that jumbled mash up they think is presentation. I mean, I like/play the game but they are lagging waaaaay behind, especially with the upgrades in Madden this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
Rookie

ComebackDylan's Arena

OVR: 1

This is my favorite thread. EA just needs to copy/paste NBA2k11's commentary, do whatever it is they do, and do it fast!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Rookie

nazzman's Arena

OVR: 3

I hadn't bought Madden in 5 or more years, being an NCAA guy. So I got the new Madden and played the two games back to back. Madden then NCAA. I agree somewhat with the comparisons here.

My quick impressions (as a Madden newbie and NCAA veteran):

Madden felt "fresh" all right.

The commentary on Madden smokes anything ever heard on NCAA. The overall illusion of watching a TV broadcast is much better on Madden even though it's an anonymous network (as in not ESPN). There's an overall confidence and competence reflected in the Madden game experience that's often lacking in NCAA. You're sucked in, and it feels like a bit of a roller coaster ride, in a good way.

I found Madden's replays even worse than NCAA's. The look and feel during play was very game-like, bordering on arcade in spots. Some animations looked clunkier than any on NCAA. The stadiums are inferior to NCAA. Lots of jaggies. I could not figure out how to swap to the player perspective (the lock in, as on NCAA), missed that option right away.

There appears to be an issue with passing. I was not aware that Manning came to Denver to simply hand off to McGahee. Yet Madden thinks so. Overall, the game felt a bit too easy but I did not get into sliders.

The big issue: EA removed the franchise feature in Madden '13. I did not try its replacement but it seemed Road to Glory-like. Anyone who plays offline vs. CPU and does Dynasty should check out that issue before paying the $. Lots of anger over that EA move on the Madden boards.

Early verdict: Like them both. Don't see me bailing to Madden, but I'll definitely play it a dozen times or more. Won't buy Madden next year, but will buy NCAA.

Last edited by nazzman; 08-30-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

from what I have experienced...

in general:
NCAA presentation is far superior.
Madden overall audio sounds much better

'13 specific:
Madden commentary is fresh... for a reason, they were terrible the last 3-4 years and they finally picked up an actual team and had them record together.
NCAA commentary is getting stale, they've been better for a while but that doesn't say much at this point.
Madden presentation is bland and I can't get "into" the game when they don't know if they want to seem like CBS or NFL network... not to mention I don't know what they are doing in the pregame intro, terrible Madden music with players standing in from of the NFL shield?!? when has that even been an intro to a NFL game?
NCAA presentation is pretty solid and draws you in(even if they bang you over the head with studio updates). at least you feel like you are watching ESPN, even if it is ESPN8 that is just being started and working the bugs out... Reese throwing it to Brad, Reese's studio updates, the ESPN ticker w/ upset alerts and score updates, even the ESPN and Nissan wipes in the dynasty menus are a nice touch.
Madden crowd sounds seem to be solid even past the demo, they swell well but the stadium music seems forced. I really like the swells and lulls and boos on plays. the audio levels need very little adjustment because the default sounds pretty close to a real game.
NCAA crowd sounds were nerfed from the demo to retail, the swells and lulls don't seem a vibrant or as good. it requires much more audio level fidgeting to get it to sound like a real game. the stadium music is still so much better though due to bands and drum corp.

so yeah Madden has a fresh presentation feel because they constantly have to scrap the terrible ideas they keep introducing. I do like the direction they are going if they could decide to pick 1 broadcast style and go with it, even if they don't have CBS make everything look like it is CBS's presentation. don't take some ideas from CBS, NFL network, NBC and then some ideas are just made up... NCAA does need a fresh injection into their presentation commentary but the overall sum still presents a Saturday on ESPN, rather than part ESPN, part FoxSN, part CBS and part made up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »