Home

3-4 and Moving Players Back (DT to DE, etc.)

This is a discussion on 3-4 and Moving Players Back (DT to DE, etc.) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: 3-4 and Moving Players Back (DT to DE, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
I will move any player to any position. I have my own awareness drop chart for position changes. NCAA's drops are generally too ridiculous, but at times I find myself further lowering a player's awareness.

I don't think there's anything "tisk tisk" about (for example) moving a safety to linebacker or a linebacker to defensive end. Whenever moving a player you risk lowering awareness (as already mentioned) as well as things like rush moves, block shedding, tackling, play recognition, or pursuit not being up to par for the new position. It's a coach's job to put his players in the best position for him to excel.

For some examples of position changes for Ohio State in recent years...

- Tyler Moeller moved between LB and S before settling in as the NB
- Michael Bennett and John Simon were both DT before the suspensions in '11 created a lack of depth at DE
- Former top LB recruit, Curtis Grant, is now moving to DE
- Darryl Baldwin moved from DE to OT
- Chris Carter moved from OT to DT
- Adolphus Washington came in as a DE, bulked up and moved to DT
- Troy Smith returned kicks
Could you post your awareness drop chart on here?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 3-4 and Moving Players Back (DT to DE, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2004
Oh I agree with you...in real life. Auburn did this a ton.

- Karlos Dansby came in as a 2* WIDE RECEIVER. lol He's obviously a great LB now. He gained almost 50 lbs in muscle since high school.
- Jay Ratliff who is now a pro bowl 3-4 DT came to Auburn as a TE, went to DE and finally DT his senior year. What's funny is that he was an undersized 4-3 DT, an even more undersized 3-4 guy and is very good
- Ben Grubbs, a G for the Ravens, started as a DT

There are lots of things like that, but as I said above, you really can't translate this into the game because size does not matter in the game (IT SHOULD THOUGH) and some believe it breaks the AI and is cheese to put a 205 LB converted safety at DE and let him just blaze past the LT.
The correct sliders won't let speed simply be the determining factor for DE getting past the Tackle. A speedy LB or S likely has a deficiency in block shedding or rush moves and that will hurt their chances of racking up sacks.

I wouldn't say size does not matter. It may not matter as much as it should, but it does play a factor. Using SECElite's Heisman sliders helps with making height/weight mean more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »