Home

Realistic Recruiting Expected in NCAA Football 14

This is a discussion on Realistic Recruiting Expected in NCAA Football 14 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Realistic Recruiting Expected in NCAA Football 14

I am very afraid of the comments on decommits. I realize they happen and while I am all about realism in the game, I think this is something that would be incredibly difficult to emulate properly in the video game. I can definitely see this being one of those things that gets way over done. I spend approximately 25 minutes per week recruiting as it is. That manages to dwindle with commits through the season but I still put a lot of time in. Imagine if you are forced to continue recruiting guys who are committed? Again, I realize this is real life but I just see it being very difficult to implement. Maybe if they change the call system up it would be easier. Like for instance the old March Madness or CH2k recruiting where you make sure to visit them or continually assign phone calls to them with the check of a button. Then again maybe all of this wouldn't be too bad if the phone call menus didn't load slow as can be and take forever... oh I digress...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
Rookie

BV11's Arena

OVR: 3

Hope that with the recruiting mechanisms being overhauled, that the recruit database is overhauled as well. I am tired of seeing the same players every year in recruiting. I can't think of any specific ones off the top off my head, but there is always similar players year to year. For example a QB with Face #10, B Speed, A Throw Power, and B Accuracy that you can find every year or 2.

What they need to do is completely randomize recruits. They need to use some kind of interval for generating recruits for each position where there is a baseline average class that will occur most years. Some years there will be a great depth in a QB class, with 10 guys beteween 76-80. Some years there will be 2-3 guys at the top over 82 overall, but no guys between 78-81 behind them.

Some kind of interval like this is what I have in mind roughly:

For example looking at the strength of QB recruiting classes (Would generate this for each position for each recruiting class)

5 is weakest, 10 is highest strength:
  • Probability of Class strength 5= 10%
  • Probability of Class strength 6= 15%
  • Probability of Class strength 7= 25%
  • Probability of Class strength 8= 25%
  • Probability of Class strength 9= 15%
  • Probability of Class strength 10= 10%
This just means a class 10 strength class for a position has a 10% chance of being generated each year, strength 7 class has a 25% chance, and so on. The talent at the top, as well as the depth would play into how highly a positions class strength was rated.

The way recruiting is now just seems too predictable and like there isn't a whole heck of a lot of variety between guys. There will never be another player exactly like Michael Vick coming out of high school, same as Andrew Luck, same as anyone else. Every player is a different puzzle piece that coaches have to decide if they are worth pursuing, and how they would use them if they got them.

Last edited by BV11; 03-11-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Rookie

OmahaKnights's Arena

OVR: 0

So does this mean I can start an Ole Miss dynasty and load up on 5 star recruits with Microsoft points?

Kidding aside, it'll be interesting to see just what they mean. I'm not sure if I would have went to West Virginia, or just West Virginia, but it's their game, I guess.

Does this mean that there will be repercussions for oversigning, academically ineligible players, and so on?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm unable to find the words to accurately describe how much I disagree with these statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonpanther
I second the above. madden is a different story but NCAA players are well done, except for in 12 1 position "athletes" and WRs having A carrying but D catching.
I would say go back to some of the threads by GotMadSkillzSon and you'll know were my comments derive from.

I as well as others have been tweaking Ratings for years to try and get AI players to behave somewhat differently which has led to Recruiting serving little need because outside of Speed, that 1 Star player at Sac State played "The Same" as that Blue Chip that signed with Alabama at every position across the board (as far as being AI controlled).

Until there is a difference between a 1 Star and 5 Star player, again, Recruiting is meaningless because your 30 min spent in this phase has the "Same Exact" Gameplay outcome as the gamer who just skip/sim past.

If one chooses to spend time going through and getting something out of the Recruiting, good for them, but there is no error in my statement. Speed has always been the foundation EA football has been built on top of.

Players do not behave differently (1 Star through 5 Star) when the AI controls them.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Rookie

BV11's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I would say go back to some of the threads by GotMadSkillzSon and you'll know were my comments derive from.

I as well as others have been tweaking Ratings for years to try and get AI players to behave somewhat differently which has led to Recruiting serving little need because outside of Speed, that 1 Star player at Sac State played "The Same" as that Blue Chip that signed with Alabama at every position across the board (as far as being AI controlled).

Until there is a difference between a 1 Star and 5 Star player, again, Recruiting is meaningless because your 30 min spent in this phase has the "Same Exact" Gameplay outcome as the gamer who just skip/sim past.

If one chooses to spend time going through and getting something out of the Recruiting, good for them, but there is no error in my statement. Speed has always been the foundation EA football has been built on top of.

Players do not behave differently (1 Star through 5 Star) when the AI controls them.
Yep. I would say the only 2 attributes that REALLY matter besides speed for any recruit is THP and THA for QB. If you have a QB with high THP and THA, and the rest of your team is fast, you are set on this game.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

OVR: 4
Think they've consulted with college offensive lineman on how to run block? Seriously though, any news is good news. Let's get this cover vote stuff out of the way and start getting the good stuff!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

Skeptical, as always. How many high hopes have been dashed in this series over the years? Hopefully recruiting is at least more interesting. I've fallen asleep many times while recruiting between games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #32
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDawg35
Skeptical, as always. How many high hopes have been dashed in this series over the years? Hopefully recruiting is at least more interesting. I've fallen asleep many times while recruiting between games.
Skeptical doesn't even cover it. As mentioned earlier in this thread - but something I'll elaborate on with a bit more detail - this "De-commit" thing could - and probably will - be way overdone by EA. They have no concept of the word SUBTLETY.

If every couple years you had one 5-star player or if you take over North Texas and lose a 3-star, then fine. But what frightens me is that we'll all have a bunch of players "committed" to our team, and then on Signing Day half of them will bail on you. THIS is what EA typically does. It's always ALL or NOTHING with them - they know no middle ground, they have no idea that implementing something new that happens RARELY would actually be cool.

Skeptical... Nah... I'm POSITIVE they will screw this up badly. There's 7 years of games this gen to back that thought process up...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »