Home

Option Game in NCAA 2014? Denard Robinson Podcast

This is a discussion on Option Game in NCAA 2014? Denard Robinson Podcast within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Option Game in NCAA 2014? Denard Robinson Podcast

I felt the spread option worked...okay

However, the flexbone playbook was terrible. I am a huge fan of the flexbone, been on a coaching staff for the last 10 years that run it.

The mechanics themselves need a bunch of work but so does the scheme. There is no way to figure out pre snap who the dive key is going to be. 90 percent of the time it should be the last man on the end of the line of scrimmage.
Against some fronts like the 52, you can have the dive be the tackle and EMLOS be the pitch. But for this to work you need the ability to pitch immediately after you ride the FB.

Midline is crap. You should be reading the 3 tec but they always block him. That is okay if you are running a follow type play, but don't call it midline. Additionally those midline plays never work because the slot will always get caught on the lineman.

The option pass never works. I sort of understand this...however I don't like it. They don't want people to cheese and constantly break contain with a run pass option. But that is what this play is. You should be able to attack outside of the tackle box and have everything look like speed or triple option.
But this is never accomplished because either the DE will destroy your face or you will attack down the line then hit the receiver icon 6 times trying to get rid of the ball because the QB has to stop, square up his shoulders then take a 5 step drop.
Also on speed pass, the guy running as your pitch key should be looking to receive the pitch and run with the ball. If you try and pitch on this play it has disastrous consequences. He will either catch the ball 5 yards behind the LOS or he will decide he wants to block the guy you are pitching off of and the ball is loose on the ground.

I know the academies plus georgia tech are the only ones that really run a flexbone style attack, So why dedicate so many resources to a playbook only 4 out of 120 some teams run. But still, this is the only way I want to play the game, and I really would love to see some huge leaps and bounds in the under center option attack.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »