Home

EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

This is a discussion on EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

I've been saying for a long time that the answer to this really is have players sign a voluntary form when they join a D1 college sports team that says "I give [school name] and the NCAA the permission to use my name and likeness for any reasonable and lawful purpose, including but not limited to, marketing, TV and video games". Anyone who doesn't sign isn't in the game and gets replaced in the most generic way possible (all QBs are white, 6'5", 250, pocket passers, etc)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #58
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7
I'm pretty sure EA used my likeness too.
5'11 175 lbs brown hair born in Alabama
Where's my dollar!?!?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: EA Study Claims It Doesn't Use All College Likenesses in Video Games, Just Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Pay them already...the "value" of an education is highly subjective. The value of a dollar...not so much.
I don't know if the NCAA should pay them. However they shouldn't block them from getting paid from other legit sources though.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I've been saying for a long time that the answer to this really is have players sign a voluntary form when they join a D1 college sports team that says "I give [school name] and the NCAA the permission to use my name and likeness for any reasonable and lawful purpose, including but not limited to, marketing, TV and video games". Anyone who doesn't sign isn't in the game and gets replaced in the most generic way possible (all QBs are white, 6'5", 250, pocket passers, etc)
Why would anybody in their right mind sign this?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #61
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNT
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kids that are on academic scholarships and band scholarships are getting the same free education, room and board, etc that kids on athletic scholarships are. The only difference, the kids on band and academic scholarships are allowed to make money off of their own image and the ones that are on athletic scholarships are not. That needs to be corrected.
Thank you. There's no reason these guys shouldn't be able to sign with Nike, Reebok or however. I don't even have a problem with them taking money from boosters.

It doesn't hurt anybody and logically would reduce potential corruption rather than increase it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Why would anybody in their right mind sign this?
Reasonable question. I'm not a lawyer, so my wording might not be watertight, but I don't see how signing something like that (which would be voluntary) would be massively different to now.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #63
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Reasonable question. I'm not a lawyer, so my wording might not be watertight, but I don't see how signing something like that (which would be voluntary) would be massively different to now.
Because if they don't get any benefit from it, why would they sign it? I suppose the argument would be that players want to play as themselves in the game, but other then that they are signing away their likeness rights for no compensation at all.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4468
I'm still confused why we can see a player on TV, on interviews, highlights for TV, Magazines, etc. Yet their name or likeness in a video game is over the lines?

Secondly, these players did not have to play football. They could live their lives normally if they want. They know what they signed up for. Free school, food, room and board, healthcare, some spending money, grants, and a chance at the NFL. If the players win, they might be screwing over future athletes.
I pray and hope this was sarcasm.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »