Home

Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Socks?

This is a discussion on Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Socks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Sock

If football was all that mattered 2k would be running away with the genre...

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Sock

If it doesn't look good I won't drive it.

If it doesn't look good I won't wear it.

If it doesn't look good I'm not as likely to eat it.

If she doesn't look good I won't date her.

If it doesn't look good I won't play it.

Pretty simple concept isn't it.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
Pro

Xero Theory 42's Arena

OVR: 5

Being an equipment manager I'm starting to get more nitpicky on the lack of equipment in the game..but gameplay and dynasty improvements are still a big 1 and 2 for me. I think like some guys said above, people really care deeply about the details.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Banned

GetReal's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm all about the wind socks
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
One day this debate will die when people realize these two things are mutually exclusive in terms of dev teams developing the game.
They are not mutually exclusive. Yes, there is a "dev team" and an "art team", blah, blah, blah....

That being said, everything in the game draws from a limited time/resource budget. I would prefer those resources go toward the dev team developing a sound, working engine and incorporating gameplay assets actually drawn from real player/coach input (player interactions, play design, AI strategy, etc) than acquiring licenses for the endless amount of gear, developing the art assets, and incorporating them into the engine (which would also require input/assistance from the dev team).

Purchasing licenses to replicate gear is not cheap, and acquiring all the licenses fans are screaming for would require a substantial drain on the limited resources that are available.

tl;dr: fix the game first, and then you can spend the time and money to add all the socks, turf cleats with the little nubs, standard grass cleats, 3/4" cleats for rain, fingerless gloves, facemasks for 75 different helmet styles, 27 colors of tape, 12 different types of mouthguards, and pigeons landing on the field in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
MVP

d11king's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Its about authenticity and immersion. Some people are sticklers for the details. I see nothing wrong with it but I dont care all that much in the grand scheme. As far as Im concerned the guys who harp over visual details of uniforms, accessories, cleats, stadiums, mascots etc make for a better game in at least that aspect of it.

Asking which is more important, the visual or the football is redundant and we've been there done that to death in this forum.
This........

I wouldn't say I'm an equipment junkie, but I do find it annoying things like colored based shoes aren't in the game; that EA has finally gotten rid of the low socks that nobody has ever worn, ever; colored socks whatever, it's annoying. I don't think people posting are saying things like socks are more important than the gameplay, and that's what makes me mad is when I see people assume that. Oregon can wear a reflective mirrored *** helmet in a bowl game, one game, and that entire uniform can be in the game, but when every (or just about every) college team is now wearing colored cleats the entire season, they don't make it into the game? Something's not right about that.

We sit here and we say, yeah fix the gameplay first, fix the gameplay first, it's been what since like 06-07 since we've been saying that? We've had the same cleats for years, same facemasks for years, hell we just got colored gloves if I'm not mistaken, it's the same equipment for years, as if they skipped it to focus on better things, which is totally fine, but the gameplay still isn't fixed, I'm getting bombarded with legends I don't ever play with, OD can only still have 12 users, we're barely getting Neutral Site games, and the game is still not where it's supposed to be.... so that's why/when the 'equipment' posters come out IMO.

If you're gonna blow off your side chick, you better make sure you're working things out with your girlfriend (or main chick)... if you're not, then it's a lose-lose situation.

Last edited by d11king; 05-08-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 10

It really has to do with having the best representation of what we see on Saturdays translated into a video game. Most equipment heads like myself are not asking for all this new equipment and then ignoring gameplay, the two go hand in hand. I'm not going to purchase an NCAA game that added 25 new cleat styles but has psychic DBs and super jumping LBs.

What it comes down to is we want to see EVERYTHING we see on Saturdays translated into the game not just bits and pieces.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

I value authentic feeling gameplay more than aesthetic features in this game. The reason I complain about equipment (facemasks specifically), is because I know fixing gameplay issues take serious time and manpower. I'm realistic. I understand this so I find something else that bothers me that could be much easier and probable to fix/add. I honestly miss the gameplay from last gen. For myself, I edit rosters... So it annoys me to no end that an art team will select 5 new facemasks to add in the game, and 2 of them are nearly identical, and one almost NO ONE wears. The logic baffles me. So yes I complain that a specific facemask worn by 1/3 of starting QB's in FBS wasn't added when they went out of their way to add less popular ones. Or the community begs for dreadlocks and they finally add them, but they are a ridiculous length almost no one has. It feels like they seriously don't listen to the community. Trust me, I seriously want better gameplay and more so than equipment. But in the mean time it would be nice if they could do a better job of replicating what you see on Saturdays.

Everyone has their visual gripes with the game. For me it's helmets and facemasks. To me a player is easily identified on the field by his jersey number, his skin tone, and his helmet type. Those 3 stand out definitely to me. Those are my 3 buggaboos. To each his own I suppose.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »