Home

Tips on Recruiting for Power Running Teams

This is a discussion on Tips on Recruiting for Power Running Teams within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Banned

mailman2's Arena

OVR: 0
Tips on Recruiting for Power Running Teams

So I'm doing a dynasty in NCAA 13 and have went over to try and build Washington State a bit. I want to try and emphasize the power running, and I formation sets. What should I be looking for in recruiting? I realize the heyday of the I form is over , but it would be cool if I could get it to work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Tips on Recruiting for Power Running Teams

Wait till NCAA 14 where you can probably succeed with such an offense
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Bcolt93's Arena

OVR: 5

i built up my teambuilder team on a power ground game and there is a few keys to making sure you have a successful offense. the most important is a good fullback, you will probably want 2. having a huge fullback is key especially if he can catch out of the backfield. you can you usually get a decent one even with a bad team (i signed 2 top 5 fullbacks while my team sucked). you also want a HUGE offensive line. i think all 5 of my starters were "run blockers" and usually control the line. tight ends are important but you only really need 1 to be successful depending on your scheme. you will need a good QB and a star WR though, to make sure the CPU doesnt load up the box all game. recruiting wise my breakdown was to sign this:

QB: 1 every year
RB: 2 every year
FB: 1 every 2 years
WR: 1-2 every year
TE: 1 every 2 years
T: 2 every year
G: 1-2 every year
C: recruit to hit 3 for the upcoming season.

generally you want for your roster
QB: 3-4
RB: 4-5
FB: 2
WR: 6-8
TE: 2-3
T: 5-6
G: 5-6
C: 2-3

Also when recruiting linemen, if a frosh is less than 5 points lower than a JuCo, sign the frosh instead. he will advance further and if you have to start one you are screwed regardless

Last edited by Bcolt93; 06-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut7
Wait till NCAA 14 where you can probably succeed with such an offense
This is true. Right now power runners aren't very effective. NCAA 14 seems to have the potential to actually allow them to be good.

However for building a power run offense some things to look out for:
- Athleticism in your guards/the ability to move.
This will come in especially handy on I-formation power runs which pulls the backside guard playside. If your guard is too slow to move your running back will beat him to the hole and that guard will be worthless.

- You will want a solid backup RB, preferably one that has some speed to him. With a power run game, your RB will take a lot of hits and will wear down. You will need a backup for him to keep him fresh and limit the chance of injury. If you have a speedy back as that backup it creates a change of pace and can catch worn down defenders off guard.

- You need a QB that can take advantage of the holes opened via play action.
If you keep running well the defense will load the box and leave their corners on an island to try and stop you from running all game long. A perfect play action pass can freeze the safeties and open yourself to home run passes; if you don't have a qb that can take advantage of this opportunity you will not be as lethal an offense as you can be.

- Don't overlook fullbacks and tight ends.
They can be very good weapons in your offense as you march down the field. This isn't an offense based on taking it to the house every play, but more on wearing down the opponent. Having a FB or TE that can not only block but act as a release valve for your QB in the passing game is a very good commodity.

- Try and keep balance in your lines.
Avoid loading up all your good offensive linemen on one side of the ball so that you can attack all sides of the field from the same base formation. If you lean to one side that makes it easier to neutralize your offense.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head for now. I will be running a similar offense with WC passing schemes mixed in, very much like what Michigan plans to be running in real life. If I think of more I will add it here.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-defense.html

Last edited by slingblade73; 06-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Banned

mailman2's Arena

OVR: 0

Thanks guys.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Rookie

CR3AMnCR1MS0N's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know any specifics, but looking at Stanford's roster might help.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Rookie

ZoeK35's Arena

OVR: 1

I love building my team up using a power running scheme. For me I look for big athletic guys..Hope this helps good luck building up your team

Qb. I look for a guy over 6'3 with a big arm, good play action, and semi-athletic. At first I try to bring in at least two QB's a year for the first two years after that I try to nab at least 1 depending on how the depth chart is looking.

RB. I prefer guys at least 6'1 or bigger with a weight now smaller than 205. With that I look for guys with good speed, acc, strength, and break tackle. At times I go a little heavy at RB and try to get at least 2 guys a year; however, some times I might get 3 or more.

FB. I usually never recruit a tradition FB. Normally i look for bigger RB's that might not have the speed Im looking for, or a smaller TE. They are there to block and nothing else in my scheme.

WR. Big guys with speed. All my recievers are over 6' with high speed. I love it when the defense stacks that box, and I can audible to PA pass and hit the guy on a post or vertical.

TE. Big athletic speed has to be in the 80's, not concerned about blockin just want a big fast guy to go over the middle to create a mismatch. Normall I look for guys in the 6'4-6'6 range.

OL. Nobody for me under 6'5. I like to have a big physical OL that can run block. I mainly just recruit tackles and kick the smaller guys inside to guard. I remember one year my OL averaged 6'6 and over 310lbs they were maulers and opened up holes

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »