Home

Breaking The Demo (VIDEO)

This is a discussion on Breaking The Demo (VIDEO) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
Breaking The Demo (VIDEO)

I'm starting a new video series with the NCAA 14 demo where I will try to "break" the demo. I want to test various strategies and/or "money" plays to see how they are handled this year. I also want to examine "glitch" plays from previous versions.

The goal here is not to bash or bag on the demo. Rather, it is intended to identify any issues in the AI/programming and see if we can get them submitted to the devs to be fixed. This is different from the demo glitch thread in that I'll be testing out various issues and posting video to confirm or dispel these "bugs", "glitches" or "money" plays.

My process is mostly going to be running the same play or strategy over and over again in a demo game to see if it is and exploitable play/tactic or if there is a programming flaw or AI issue.

I'm going to submit my videos and comment on what I saw from them and point out any issues. Feel free to add anything that you see as well. Also, feel free to point out any plays/strategies that you want me to test.

**NOTE: Please keep this specific to certain plays or things that I can test easily in the demo. Also, please keep things orderly and constructive. This is not a flaming EA thread. We want to test out things that can be used to improve the AI/Gameplay in the game. Please continue to use the bug/glitches thread for issues that are not AI related and cannot be easily duplicated or tested through repetition.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Pro

majesty95's Arena

Re: Breaking The Demo (VIDEO)

Verticals | Nickel - Under Storm

Verticals

My first objective was to test out one of the most exploitable pass plays the past few years, Veritcals. More specifically, Four Verticals.

I ran with Ohio State and played from the shotgun the entire game. I mostly ran Four Verticals but also mixed in some standard Verticals. Every offensive play was either Verticals or Four Verticals.

Analysis

AI Adaptation - While I was still able to complete a higher percentage of these passes than I would have liked, I did notice the CPU taking away routes that I was favoring. I would have liked to seem them recognize I was running this play over and over and take it away more consistently but overall I was glad to see the AI react more intelligently.

Nickel - Under Storm

On defense, I ran Nickel - Under Storm on every play. I did not very this strategy at all. Every play, every formation and every scenario saw the same play from me.

Analysis

Good and Bad - I liked that the AI noticed I was blitzing a lot and called more HB Screens than I had seen before and I like that the QB primarily targeted his HB and TE. I also liked that I was beat for several big plays and that there was a risk/reward for running this play. However, I sacked the Michigan QB seven times and held them to 13 points in regulation. I gave up big play and produced big plays, which I liked. However, the CPU did not adjust to the fact that I was only calling this play and force me to change. Due to this I saw more success overall than I would have liked.

Conclusion

Had I been running a more diverse offense I think that I could have easily won this game playing Under Storm the entire game. I believe that's an issue. Sure, some leagues and players have "house rules" that will prevent this type of playcalling. However, things like this should and could be prevented by a little bit more adaptive AI. Recognizing that a player is doing the same thing over and over and how to exploit it should be easy to implement and is a basic football strategy. I certainly don't want the AI to be "psychic" but I would like it to adjust when I do the same thing over and over.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Looks like you put a lot of time into this, nice work

I don't really take these things too seriously though because its just the demo. If people find something bad its 'well, its only the demo it will probably be fixed in the full version' and when people find something good its 'well but its the demo and they are only showing us what they want to show us, it could be messed up in the full version'. We just have to wait and see, as torturous as it may be.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Pro

majesty95's Arena

One thing that I did forget to mention was at about 6:30 of the video Michigan decide to run down the clock with about 30 second left and all three timeouts and the score tied. It could have had something to do with just getting sacked but didn't seem like a logical decision especially after hurrying up to the line. I think there is some sort of big in there. I'm just not sure what the intended strategy actually was there...

Last edited by majesty95; 06-21-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
One thing that I did forget to mention was at about 6:30 of the video Michigan decide to run down the clock with about 30 second left and all three timeouts and the score tied. It could have had something to do with just getting sacked but didn't seem like a logical decision especially after hurrying up to the line. I think there is some sort of big in there. I'm just not sure what the intended strategy actually was there...

There is a bug with Time Management in 2nd/4th quarter situations. I've had the CPU get down literally to the GL, hurry up, and then just sit there for 10 seconds. I thought, "maybe they'll just kick the FG" but nope. Just let the clock run out, and I kinda felt guilty for not calling one I had and giving them their shot.

Hoping that didn't find it's way into the retail copy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

The QB run at 4:24 was sick. 3 hit stick moves turned a sack into nearly a TD!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 13

If this is the 2014 results for this year, then I think I can sit out again. The gameplay really is no better this year than it has been in the past three years. AI is still pretty stupid. There still isn't hang up tackles that 2k had in 2004. Still, only one person can tackle at a time. Watching a real football game, you can clearly see in every game two or three players will drag a guy down. This doesn't happen in either ncaa or madden. I'm just dumbfounded that something like this never gets added. Blocking is still piss poor. And did I mention AI idiocy??

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranor
If this is the 2014 results for this year, then I think I can sit out again. The gameplay really is no better this year than it has been in the past three years. AI is still pretty stupid. There still isn't hang up tackles that 2k had in 2004. Still, only one person can tackle at a time. Watching a real football game, you can clearly see in every game two or three players will drag a guy down. This doesn't happen in either ncaa or madden. I'm just dumbfounded that something like this never gets added. Blocking is still piss poor. And did I mention AI idiocy??
The AI is the best it has been in years. Same for blocking. AA default the CPU can run all over you. Did you not see the dozens of times the CPU would actually juke away from someone instead of running straight at them. Game still has its issues not saying it doesnt. But the AI is majorly improves.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »