Home

Anyone else having trouble with the Read-Option?

This is a discussion on Anyone else having trouble with the Read-Option? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anyone else having trouble with the Read-Option?

I'm running Oregon's playbook, thus the read-option is a staple play of mine. I'm 8 games into my dynasty (season 1).

However, I've noticed that pretty much 100% of the time, the DE I'm reading will crash and go for the RB. They NEVER take the QB. It's the most bizarre thing.

Anyone else having this issue? It's kind of a bummer because my QB will end up having a ridiculous amount of carries and yards but the AI will still take the RB every. single. time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Anyone else having trouble with the Read-Option?

For me its about 75% of the time he'll take the RB. But yeah i understand what you mean that he should take the QB a little more.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah they do, but not strange really. Your instincts when seeing the QB looking to hand it off is to go after the HB.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyindiekid
I'm running Oregon's playbook, thus the read-option is a staple play of mine. I'm 8 games into my dynasty (season 1).

However, I've noticed that pretty much 100% of the time, the DE I'm reading will crash and go for the RB. They NEVER take the QB. It's the most bizarre thing.

Anyone else having this issue? It's kind of a bummer because my QB will end up having a ridiculous amount of carries and yards but the AI will still take the RB every. single. time.
Not for me, it's pretty balanced. Half the time he'll go for the HB, half the time for the QB.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Rookie

Balanced? 75%? I swear I may have seen the DE take the QB maybe ONE time in 8 games of consistently running the Spread/Read-Option.

What playbook are you guys using if you don't mind me asking! Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Rookie

c_law23's Arena

OVR: 4

It's pretty balanced for me as well, maybe 60/40 towards the HB. The only issue I have is when the HB is running a dive type play from behind the QB I have a hard time trying to figure out who the DE is crashing to. It looks like he could be coming after both of us.

I'm using OSU's at the moment.

NFL - Cleveland Browns
MLB - Chicago Whitesox
NBA - Cleveland Cavaliers
NHL - Columbus Blue Jackets/Chicago Blackhawks

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Rookie

ajwhawkeye12's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
Yeah they do, but not strange really. Your instincts when seeing the QB looking to hand it off is to go after the HB.
Yeah those would be your instincts, but what that DE is COACHED to do 99% of the time is to make the QB hand the ball off by staying home. As a DE if you are completely unblocked, and you see that read option action going on... you are coached up to stay put. When the QB does end up getting to keep it in real life are the plays where discipline finally breaks down and the DE crashes. If I were a developer I'd probably want it programmed so like 80%+ of the time the DE honors the QB, BUT I'd have logic setup where once youve accumulated enough success by giving it on the read option, the DE's discipline starts breaking down and he will crash more. I'd also make it so that DE's with lower awareness and play recognition crash a higher % of time than high awareness/play recognition players.

Last edited by ajwhawkeye12; 07-12-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23
It's pretty balanced for me as well, maybe 60/40 towards the HB. The only issue I have is when the HB is running a dive type play from behind the QB I have a hard time trying to figure out who the DE is crashing to. It looks like he could be coming after both of us.

I'm using OSU's at the moment.
I am at about 55/45 towards the QB. Some games, my HB gets the ball much more. Just depends on the opponent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »