Home

Why do past players thinking Suing E.A. sports for their likenesses will do any good?

This is a discussion on Why do past players thinking Suing E.A. sports for their likenesses will do any good? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Rookie

maximized98's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why do past players thinking Suing E.A. sports for their likenesses will do any g

The only players who are complaining are the one's that could not make it in the NFL. They are broke and found a way to make a buck.

I feel that the NCAA/School owns the number on the jersey, not the player.

By putting Texas AM QB #2 in the game, it should not matter to Manziel. The school is giving him a free education and the jersey number is property of the school. Any former player who is mad because of this game series, should be ashamed for themselves. Why ruin the fun for all of us gamers
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Why do past players thinking Suing E.A. sports for their likenesses will do any g

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximized98
The only players who are complaining are the one's that could not make it in the NFL. They are broke and found a way to make a buck.

By putting Texas AM QB #2 in the game, it should not matter to Manziel. The school is giving him a free education and the jersey number is property of the school. Any former player who is mad because of this game series, should be ashamed for themselves. Why ruin the fun for all of us gamers
The Big O (Oscar Robertson) had a pretty good pro career.

I hate that pharse free education. Anyone that played in college knows that education isn't free.

This isn't about video games. There is a whole big world out there outside of video games filled with tons of revenue. The only reason video games are front and center is because EA screwed up and got greedy and left a paper trail leading right back to the NCAA. The NCAA and revenue sharing is the target, not video games.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 07-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

I believe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Oscar Robinson and Jim Brown are involved in the case as well, all those guys sucked big time...and once again, look at the last sentence you wrote. It's not about your fun or my fun and its not about your gaming experience being potentially ruined. Do they have a case or not? We will find out soon.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned a settlement. Looks like that could be a win for all of us.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

Actually, Tim Tebow's name was used in NCAA '10 in a formation playbook.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...153618257.html

With the legal system, if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, chances are............ Oregon was cheating!

No, but on a serious note, O'Bannon does have an excellent case. The issue isn't if he will win, the issue is WHAT he will win in this case. Sure, he can get money from EA, and all the other players could win money from EA as part of the class action.

The problem then turns into what can of worms happens with NCAA eligibility, payments, amateurism rules. The majority of the concern about the lawsuit isn't just from a financial standpoint of players wanting to be compensated for those games, it's the long term affects of what happens with the NCAA rulebook.

Fact is these kids play based on amateur rules, but schools profit off them in the millions. If the ruling goes in favor of O'Bannon and friends, it will force changes in the NCAA.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

Two things I would like to add.

1. Players pretty much have to sign over "their" likeness to be eligible to play.
2. Scholarship athletes are not allowed to work like the college student.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:

I agree. And I think for the most part, most guys would be happy and a fun thing to be in a video game. Probably most do. Specially a no name QB for Akron.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loccdogg26
Two things I would like to add.

1. Players pretty much have to sign over "their" likeness to be eligible to play.
2. Scholarship athletes are not allowed to work like the college student.
That is correct... but they have no agreement with EA, and that's what O'Bannon's argument will focus on.

The school has a right to promote themselves, but they can't put Manziel's face on pepsi bottles or make AJ McCarron bobble head days for fans.

The school can promote themselves in video games, but using amateurs for product placement is where the lawsuit gets in gray areas of the law.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3

Welp, they better start paying player's to use their pictures in media guides or on the front cover shouldn't they? Or stop making media guides from now on !! Why don't player's sue the university for that ? I think this is a BS and the 2 let me repeat 2 former player's suing EA and the Ncaa were complete failures at the next level once they leave college. And if I remember when this started a couple years ago it was well after these 2 former player's in question had graduated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »