Home

Man did I ever just have one hell of a game...

This is a discussion on Man did I ever just have one hell of a game... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Rookie

jcarr71's Arena

OVR: 2
Man did I ever just have one hell of a game...

First off, here's a little background information. I am in my third year in my Syracuse dynasty. I am number one, and the defending national champs. Up until this game, the majority of my games were incredibly easy. I beat OSU, whom I scheduled because they were ranked ahead of me in the preseason polls, 63-3 for example.

While I was destroying everyone for the most part, my team wasn't without its flaws. First off, I have one senior on my defense and only two juniors. My defense is incredibly young, incredibly unaware, and only a B-. There is only so much I can do to correct this, and they tend to have lapses where they couldnt stop a Division III team. Take for example my game against Nebraska, I was up 24-0 after the first and ended up winning 52-42. Or perhaps the 21 points the C+ offense of Boston College put up in the third quarter of my 48-21 blowout of them. I was minorly concerned going into #12 Pitt, but I never expected this.

My defense opened up allowing a TD with little effort by their offense. 7-0 Pitt. I responded with a TD to make it 7-7. They kicked a FG, and that went unanswered as they scored another TD to open up the 2nd. 17-7 Pitt. I scored as time expired in the half on a 24 yard screen pass, 17-14. My offense responded well in the 3rd, putting up 17, but my defense lapsed in allowing an 84 yard TD pass. Still, being up 31-24 going into the 4th, with my offense clicking, left me confident enough.

And then it all fell apart.

They quickly scored their 4th passing TD of the day, 31-31. I guess it hadn't completely fallen apart yet, as I broke two long TD runs to jump up 45 to 31 with just like 2:30 to go.

Game over? Not so fast my friend, not with my defense. My defense forces a 4th and 8, but I habitually picked punt return. Not thinking it would matter, I just audibled out to a base defense. I was wrong, my big FB ended up matched up on their number one receiver running a fly route. 45-38, still me, I can run out the clock... right? My HB already had 278 yards, I have not exactly been struggling on the ground. Well, it didnt work out. He had 2 carries for 0 yards on down one and two, and I was forced to risk throwing it just to put the game away. I completed it but was faceed with a 4th and inches on my own 29. I wanted to go for it, but I didnt dare with only 40 seconds to go.

I punt away, and it takes them three plays to throw their 6th TD on my vaunted defense with 12 seconds remaining. They almost pull a Saints, as the extra point is nearly missed, but they tie it up. 45-45, with 12 seconds left. Overtime? Not if McGuire has anything to say about it.

He is my true freshman return man and third receiver. He has a 96 for speed, 99 for accel, and 99 for agility. Through 7 games, he had 7 return TDs and 7 receiving TDs. Thats really good yes, but it becomes amazing when he has only 8 catches.

They kick it off to him, and he runs it back to the 17! Four seconds to go, I kick the FG for the win as time expired... greatness score of 1440. I am still on an emotional high from this one, but I am dreading the rest of my schedule with my defense in shambles like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Man did I ever just have one hell of a game...

sounds awesome....

i had an amazing game like that with my #1 created brooklyn team...vs... #2 ohio state

it had been back and forth all game and finally they tied it 45-45 in the 4th with 10 seconds to go... they kick to me and return it to my own 35...i figure i'll try a hail mary...if its incomplete i'll go into OT

i line up with 4 wide and a RB to block

i launch it 65 yards downfield to my #1 receiver (who is now a 99 10 time pro-bowler in madden) and as the ball is being thrown... my RB sprints down the field

needless to say my #1 WR is in triple coverage.....he leaps...tips it...its tipped around for a few seconds by the three defenders....and finally takes one big pop out of the scrum and is about to hit the ground

out of NOWHERE my RB who had been blocking sprints and catches the ball right as its about to hit the ground...he's sprinting down the field....but not that fast as he was tired from his long run to the spot of the catch...he's about to be tackled at the 10 until wait

out of nowhere comes my WR who receives the lateral and takes it in for the score

a sort of LSU meets Saints type of play...but the best i ever had

too bad i hadda bring the game back to blockbuster
Old 12-24-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

This is why I am glad that I am not very good. I have several close games with the CPU every season. I even lose sometimes which is realistic and makes the victories more exciting. When I can stomp the CPU every time out in a sports game, it just feels like a video game and becomes a chore to play.

I guess that is the cool thing about this game. It appeals to our very different objectives for fun.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Cardot said:
This is why I am glad that I am not very good. I have several close games with the CPU every season. I even lose sometimes which is realistic and makes the victories more exciting. When I can stomp the CPU every time out in a sports game, it just feels like a video game and becomes a chore to play.

I guess that is the cool thing about this game. It appeals to our very different objectives for fun.

In my UConn dynasty, I tend to win a couple big games a year against better teams only to lose to someone terrible in the next week or two. It really steams me but in the end I guess it keeps my ranking in check.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »