Home

Dominant play is not rewarded properly

This is a discussion on Dominant play is not rewarded properly within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Dominant play is not rewarded properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearClaw
If my QB is getting his *** handed to him but he's still getting the ball out, there should be a side effect of it. If he gets hit that means my line is getting bulldozed, and after a few drives of that the dline should have an easier time of getting to the qb than they did when the game started. However that is not the case. At some point my quarterback should get rattled and start making less accurate throws...until I change something and can build back his confidence.
I've played QB in D3 football games where that situation happened all game. The other team ended up with double digit knockdowns but zero sacks. It pissed the dline off more that I was consistently getting the ball out before they could reach me which actually made my line's job easier. Those hits actually focused me up more and I was more accurate later in that game, not the other way around even though I continued to take a hit here and there.

I think you are missing the fact that competitive people have a boatload of pride that drives them at moments of adversity. Yes some people tuck and run, but let's be honest, those are not the people who end up as starters on D1 football programs. Strength coaches, spring conditioning, and three-a-days make damn sure of that.

Just because a DE bull-rushes a tackle and wins, that doesn't mean the tackle is going to lay down the rest of the game. I really think you are over-simplifying something that is way more complex then you're making it out to be.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
I've played QB in D3 football games where that situation happened all game. The other team ended up with double digit knockdowns but zero sacks. It pissed the dline off more that I was consistently getting the ball out before they could reach me which actually made my line's job easier. Those hits actually focused me up more and I was more accurate later in that game, not the other way around even though I continued to take a hit here and there.

I think you are missing the fact that competitive people have a boatload of pride that drives them at moments of adversity. Yes some people tuck and run, but let's be honest, those are not the people who end up as starters on D1 football programs. Strength coaches, spring conditioning, and three-a-days make damn sure of that.

Just because a DE bull-rushes a tackle and wins, that doesn't mean the tackle is going to lay down the rest of the game. I really think you are over-simplifying something that is way more complex then you're making it out to be.
As you know football is a game of give and take, but video game football there is none of that. It's just "these are the odds and this is how it's going to be all game long." That's where your situation (love hearing that kinda stuff) and dynamics come into play, some players show will their killer instinct while others should fold, all of which in conjunction with a fatigue. Fatigue should be way more important than it is currently. We've all played in situations where our mind wanted to go beyond the distance but 12 rounds was all our body could take, the result of which is a drop in performance.

Of course all of this is just an idea and how exactly it'd be implemented is beyond my comprehension and there must be a system of checks and balances to make sure there is no superman 4th quarters (2k13 closer trait I'm looking at you). But it's a part of sport that needs to be represented.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3

Let's talk about a quarterback and getting flustered. Yeah I would agree a 3rd string quarterback or a very soft 1st string quarterback would be rattled after being beaten up by the defense and would more than likely be sidelined at some point with a concussion. But I remember atleast one quarterback in particular that took a beating and never missed a beat till he finally in season 2 went down for a couple weeks with a concussion. And his name was Tyler Wilson. I swear he took more hits in his two years starting for Arkansas and continued to play at a high level throughout than any QB in Arkansas history. I believe at least at QB these college kids get more and more bull headed about finishing the game the more hits they take just to say your not going to stop me like any 20 year old or 19 year old jackass kid would. Same thing with wideouts, unless you knock them out of the game I think they get back up more in defiance than anything. So I think that argument isn't valid as far as the young kids taking hits and it affecting them in a negative way. On the other hand having a game where the QB is taking a sack and can propel a pass downfield 40 yards and land on a dime isn't realistic either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Pressure definitely affects throwing accuracy in a per play sense, but you're right that is not a progressive cumulative effect

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
As you know football is a game of give and take, but video game football there is none of that. It's just "these are the odds and this is how it's going to be all game long." That's where your situation (love hearing that kinda stuff) and dynamics come into play, some players show will their killer instinct while others should fold, all of which in conjunction with a fatigue. Fatigue should be way more important than it is currently. We've all played in situations where our mind wanted to go beyond the distance but 12 rounds was all our body could take, the result of which is a drop in performance.

Of course all of this is just an idea and how exactly it'd be implemented is beyond my comprehension and there must be a system of checks and balances to make sure there is no superman 4th quarters (2k13 closer trait I'm looking at you). But it's a part of sport that needs to be represented.
I'm with you that it can definitely be improved but I just didn't want it to come across as an over simplying something that is extremely complex.

Maybe through player traits they can find a nice balance to be able to show the difference between a guy who only plays well when nothing goes wrong and another one who can handle some adversity and come back even stronger.

Maybe as far as fatigue goes, I definitely know you feel less tired when things are doing your way so maybe include play result in the amount of stamina lost. That might be able to give you the illusion of an offensive line on a rolling drive, but a carry for negative yards would wipe that out or something.

The main problem is that it's something that's very difficult to model without doing exactly what you're afraid of and ending with a game that is basically won in the first quarter every time.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

Okay, games ending in the first quarter. Didnt think that one through, but how bout this? A skill in the head coaching Game Management skill tree that effects the (for lack of a better term) regeneration of a player's confidence between quarters, halves, and timeouts. A way to balance it out would be to make three levels like the other skills, but require a certain number of points to be spent before reaching the second and third levels. That way instead of being the Lombardi of college football right out of the gate, a coach needs to build up a résumé before they can really start impacting players.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Okay, games ending in the first quarter. Didnt think that one through, but how bout this? A skill in the head coaching Game Management skill tree that effects the (for lack of a better term) regeneration of a player's confidence between quarters, halves, and timeouts. A way to balance it out would be to make three levels like the other skills, but require a certain number of points to be spent before reaching the second and third levels. That way instead of being the Lombardi of college football right out of the gate, a coach needs to build up a résumé before they can really start impacting players.
They already have that skill in the coaching tree this year......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They already have that skill in the coaching tree this year......
Gone through this one already, squiggles and vibrations mean absolutely nothing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »