Home

Defensive response broken

This is a discussion on Defensive response broken within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Rookie

frankstallone83's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Defensive response broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwart
When I am in position and I hold Y, I get an interception (or a dropped interception). If I'm not in position, holding Y has no affect. In past versions, pressing Y even if you weren't in position I think would still cause a futile animation by your player of him trying to make a play on the ball. This doesn't happen this year, and it is to your advantage on defense that it doesn't happen. The futile "make a play on the ball" animations would hurt your chances of making the tackle. There is nothing broken here. There might be other things wrong with the defense, but the buttons work like they are supposed to (at least on the 360).
I know what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. I've switched to defensive backs that looked like they were in pretty good position, at least for a swat or sometimes even touching the receiver, and nothing happens.

This is the first time in all the years I've been playing NCAA that I've had to stop myself from switching to db's to attempt a swat or pick. If the qb throws up a floater it's safe but on bullet passes and short passes I've stopped switching b/c too often I can't get the players to respond.

I won't rule out player error but it definitely doesn't feel right and I've been playing this game for a long time.

edit: I haven't tested it but I'm wondering if the new "accelerate" button is affecting this action...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJustAguessxX
Well I think unplayable varies by person. There are hard pressed things that make the game unplayable at times. I guess physically the game is playable lol. I get his point but still come on, he should get the OP's point as well.
I understand where everyone is coming from. Nobody likes to hear nothing but complaints but to ignore the obvious flaws is equally bad. I don't normally care this much but imo the game has so much potential if they could just fix a few things.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

But seriously ...

The CPU is scoring EVERY single drive. Im not joking. I was great at Defense in game since the OD started. Now EVERY team I play, scores EVERY possession? I've tried Man, Zone, Blitz. Every combination possible. Any help?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

There are many things wrong with the defense this year however the lack of responsiveness to a user's input is by design. This is in conjunction with the ball hawk feature. The reason why people are saying they press the interception button or the deflection button and nothing happens is because the CPU has taken that choice out of your hands. Its been like that for at least two years now. Like an earlier poster said if the game doesn't think you're in position to make a play or the player "shouldn't" see it then your input will be ignored.

I hate this. I double hate this. I'd rather give up a touchdown because I went for a pick and whiffed and then couldn't get back in position for the tackle than to make the tackle or deflection because the game ignored my input. I want real usering back. I want to play defense again. If I'm on the player I don't give a crap what he thinks is right to do he needs to obey my button inputs regardless. This whole "he's not looking at the ball" crap must stop. It should only matter if I don't tell him to do something.

And for the people that like this "assist" it should be able to be toggled on and off. I understand that some people thought playing the secondary was too intimidating and this is great for those people. But for those of us that want to have complete 100% control over a player we are on this needs to be changed. But to reiterate this particular issue is what they want and is not at all broken. However the sluggishness ALL of your players react with on defense does need to be fixed.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #29
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

I've been switching to player nearest to the ball, & that's it...no hittin triangle or any other button other than circle...I switch to nearest player & if they're in position they'll pick it themselves.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

This particular issue was in the game a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly.

It's almost as bad as the issue this year where if you run a pitch, sometimes the running back will come to a dead stop after catch the ball (I've seen this happen to the CPU as well).

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
Rookie

Are you guys switching and then hitting accelerate? I think accelerate might throw it off.

And to be fair, it should. When I played football I played FS and DB. When you are sprinting as fast as you can, you cannot leap up and swat a ball down. You have to time a jump to swat a ball down. Last years game was unrealistic cuz you could be sprinting step for step with receiving then just hit L2 and magically leap and swat the ball down. Basically you can't have it both ways: either you run step for step and make sure you tackle, or you jump and go for deflection/interception.

In this years game I think they made some improvements to man on man pass D, actually. Now, if QB makes perfect throw and the receive even has half a step, its a completion. That is actually realistic. Diving to swat balls away or jumping to intercept cannot really occur at full-sprint. It's close, but you actually have to slow down just slightly to develop the proper momentum for a jump or dive. My couch used to call it a heavy step.

Anyway do you think we are missing some deflections because we are holding accelerate, and some others because the game now correctly allows perfect passes to be near perfect coverage? Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
This particular issue was in the game a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly.

It's almost as bad as the issue this year where if you run a pitch, sometimes the running back will come to a dead stop after catch the ball (I've seen this happen to the CPU as well).
Your on PS3 aren't you? Just change speed to normal and that glitch goes away.

Also your receivers should be losing momentum after catch if you are experiencing the RB "stuck in mud" glitch. Again, just switch to normal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »