Home

Defending the QB scramble

This is a discussion on Defending the QB scramble within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Defending the QB scramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
What I found works best is to use a Cover 1 with the QB Spy, then pinch your d-line and put both DEs in a QB contain (you can to this by pressing L1/LB and then pressing up on the RS).

This way if the QB runs to the outside my DE is most likely to grab him before he breaks off, if he does manage to get away though I have a QB Spy as a second line of defense rather than being my first. If he gets past both, that QB should be a running back.

If it's an option happy offense, I tend to just blitz both LBs as well, call the run up the middle (L2/LS and down on the right stick) and then show blitz.
When you say "show blitz" what are you hitting to do that? I used to remember but I forgot and it's damn near impossibru to find that answer online.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayJD
When you say "show blitz" what are you hitting to do that? I used to remember but I forgot and it's damn near impossibru to find that answer online.
Yes. You have to press the "Y" button (triangle for PS3) and then it will bring up all of those kind of pre snap options, including show blitz.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayJD

Yeah I know the feeling, you just hit Y and then the left stick to the left.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 4

Because all the qbs are fast in this game for some reason and love to scramble, my mlb is in qb spy most of the time, rolb the other times, as I control the lolb. This doesn't stop the broken defense, but I've stuffed the scrambling since I've been doing this. Speed still rules in video game football, my mlb's speed is in the 90s.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

I didn't want to start another thread, and this is on topic, but regarding the offensive side. Does anyone have any tips on how to scramble or break a big run with the QB? Sometimes I start to run with the ball because it looks like I have a lot of running room but that window closes so quickly. Any way to tell when is the best time to take off and run? Should I run up between the tackles or off to one side? What about running the QB run on options?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

Thanks for all the info guys! Can you audible or make a specific player be a QB spy in any defense, or do you have to specifically pick a defense with a spy already included? Like say, if I pick a Cover 2 zone, can I make my MLB spy the QB even though the play isn't designed that way?

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
I didn't want to start another thread, and this is on topic, but regarding the offensive side. Does anyone have any tips on how to scramble or break a big run with the QB? Sometimes I start to run with the ball because it looks like I have a lot of running room but that window closes so quickly. Any way to tell when is the best time to take off and run? Should I run up between the tackles or off to one side? What about running the QB run on options?

The QB run on an option is actually extremely easy as long as they aren't bringing the house. It doesn't matter how fast your QB is (I've successfully run the option with a 68 speed QB). You just have to learn to make the correct read. If the read man (the one with the orange R over his head) comes in for the blitz run it with your QB, if he stays on the outside hand it off to the HB (same goes for the shovel and pitch plays). As long as you learn to read the blocks you can get 7 yards a run easy. My advice would be to run the option trainer in the Nike Trainer. It's how I got good at making the reads.

Scrambling out of a designed pass on the other hand is a much more difficult. For this you DO need a fast QB. The only times I will run are if there are 3 rushers and everyone else is in coverage (I'll run it up the middle), or if a play breaks down and I find that one side of the field is open I'll scramble to that side and run it once I get to the outside.

Hard cuts (using the left stick to quickly change direction) through blocks and trucking are the biggest keys to success when running with the QB.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTitan
Thanks for all the info guys! Can you audible or make a specific player be a QB spy in any defense, or do you have to specifically pick a defense with a spy already included? Like say, if I pick a Cover 2 zone, can I make my MLB spy the QB even though the play isn't designed that way?

Thank you!

Yeah just highlight the guy you want in spy, press the A on 360 or the X on Ps3 and press the right stick to the left I believe. This will place him in a QB Spy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »