Home

Running QBs fumble too much?

This is a discussion on Running QBs fumble too much? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Running QBs fumble too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Completely agree with the OP. It's really frustrating because it punishes you for doing something that should be safer (scrambling for yards instead of throwing into coverage).

The funny thing is that it seems to happen on a QB scramble more than it does on a designed QB run, like a Read Option. And the slide vs. dive button is also a frequent cause of it. It's ironic that you hit the X button to slide so that you don't get get hit or fumble, but if you hit it wrong, apparently, you end up diving, which makes you many times more likely to fumble.

Another problem is the controls near the line of scrimmage. In past games, I'm pretty sure that holding the right trigger put your QB in "running back mode". You were telling him to start running instead of tiptoing around the pocket. But now, RT is the turbo. So if I start running and hit RB (to cover up), or X (to dive/slide), it's pretty often that he'll throw the ball up for grabs, or at least start to do so, causing a fumble on impact. I swear he does this even after crossing the line of scrimmage sometimes.
For this, I recommend that if a defender is going to have a play on the QB that close to the line of scrimmage, just throw the ball out of bounds. You'll save a hit on your QB, take out the possibility of a fumble, and if the play was that close to the LOS, you probably weren't getting many yards anyways.

Now, if it's 3rd and 1, this becomes an entirely different story.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

You could be making the same mistake I was, or there is a error in the game's documentation.

The game claims that (for PS3) tapping R1 covers up while holding R1 switches ball hands. Not only does this make zero sense, but it has always been hold R1 to cover up.

Now maybe you think you are covering up to brace for a hit when in reality you are switching hands in a crowd; I could see how that would lead to increased fumbles.

But more likely is that you are trying to juke and spin or truck while in a crowd, so stop doing that.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

The scrambling varieties fumble like a greased gypsy at the coin slot. Shut the front door it's wrong so wrong. Needs a hot fix patcher.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

When you scramble on a pass play with your QB it increases his odds of fumbling tremendously. However when running options and designed QB runs.. its just like normal players, and you will fumble hardly ever.

I know this for a fact because I had a WR/KR start for my team for 3 years, never fumbled. Not one damn time. I changed his position to QB his senior year and he went on to fumble over 10 times. Every time I scrambled past the line of scrimmage with him it was like a coin flip if I would fumble or not. On option plays and designed runs I dont think he ever fumbled. Now yes I know I am supposed to slide and what not to avoid fumbling.. but my point is that any player playing the QB position who scrambles on a designed pass play is ridiculously vulnerable to fumbles, but while running options and designed runs they aren't. Its EA's way of nerfing cheesers who scramble out with the QB every play. Its stupid, and unrealistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »