Home

Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Having trouble running outside--any suggestions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

I find that (pretty much no matter what sliders I use) I have much more difficulty running outside than inside. Any help?

Thanks !!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
That pause when you catch the pitch is the problem. I haven't figured that part out.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

First, hope for patch to fix the RB stuck in the mud issue. As long as that is not fixed runs to the outside will not be as effective. But stretch plays are not affected by the slowdown so they are your best bet.

I have the most success running RB Stretch out of I Twins. Run it to the empty side of the field. If your TE can hold his block long enough for you to get the edge you should be able to get 6-7 yards.

Also know that some RBs may not be good at running to the outside. Most people look at speed first -- don't. The most important thing is acceleration. Then agility, speed, juke, and stiff arm. Running outside requires high level of skill on the sticks; are you good with the running mechanics? I mean knowing when to use burst, best ways to juke, and also important -- knowing how to cut back.

Finally, the alignment of the defense is extremely important when it comes to outside runs. Go into practice mode and run the stretch against different fronts to get an idea. Blockers are also important, pay close attention to the TE. In my experience if I get stuffed on outside runs it is because my TE was expected to block a DE one on one and lost tthe matchup.

Edit: Basically outside runs are best out of unbalanced sets like twins or trips and running to the empty side of he field.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 08-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Pro

Smile Re: Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

Thanks! This is very helpful.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

running to the outside is simple, but you can't put a square peg in a round hole.

what i mean, is just because you WANT to run outside, doesn't mean you should, and doesn't mean you will have success doing so on any particular play.

Here are the reads I make

1. How many men are in the box.

If there are 8 men in the box, you can still run. But you have to look at my next point.

2. Where are the men at in the box-

What formation are they in, what personnel do they have on the field?

If they are in a 4-3 with 2 man under- you can run to the outside as effectively as you can up the middle.

If they are in a 3-3-5 look, with pressed coverage and they are balanced on both sides, you will not have the best chance to get it off.

If they are in a 3-3-5 look with the corners off, plays like Bucksweep work really well (awesome play, and even better when paired with bucksweep option)

3. Speed of your RB- with burners, you are pretty much always going to hit the corner, and you won't get stuck with a loss. NOw, you may not gain much, but it won't be a busted play. Also with a fast rb- if the DE sits (say they were in a flat), or if the LB or ss (3-3-5) blitz- you can always hard cut inside when you see it. You have to read outside runs like the option...Break tackle helps for when you read it wrong

4. Quick audibles- Know your quick audibles and if you see a problem outside, run a play action or a dive. Dives are crazy good this year.

I run A LOT. I'm probably deadlier at passing, but I pound the rock until they make a serious commitment to stop it. Consistency kills with running the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Pro

Smile Re: Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

Wow, this is also very helpful. Just the tutorial I need. Thanks much for the assistance.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
That pause when you catch the pitch is the problem. I haven't figured that part out.
If you're playing on anything lower than "Normal" speed, that's your problem.

As for running outside, you have to use quick jukes to get any real big outside runs. The quick jukes will make the line think you're going inside, opening up the outside some. The problem is, receivers don't always decide to block, leaving you to have to make a corner or two miss.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Rookie

skundy's Arena

OVR: 1

Motion the receiver that is on the side you want to run towards to the other side, if man coverage it will leave that side wide open. Read the tackle and either go inside or outside of him.

Stuck in mud seems to be on any speed but normal, I haven't tried the slower spds but I know that on fast and very fast stuck in mud is def there, f*ckn stupid if you ask me how did they miss something so obvious in testing.

-Know yourself-you win 50% of the time.
-Know your opponent-you win 50% of the time.
-Know yourself and your opponent- 100%Pwng
The Art of War- Sun Tzu

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »