Home

A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud?

This is a discussion on A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud?

If EA could produce a game that plays well and allows us to edit all the conference, team, and player names as well as team uniforms, stadiums, logos, etc. there would still be a big market for that. But, it would only be possible off-line; I could see having those abilities and taking them on-line possibly being the cause of further litigation. What we do in our own home with our own game should be fine. Who would ever know what we changed? And if this game came with a 32 team playoff, custom conferences, a better ranking system, and played like a college football game should with the proper atmosphere and officials, and crowds, and sidelines, and everything we've been asking for? Hell yes I would still buy it. I would be more excited for that game then the current one that has all the team and conference names.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Also, the lack of real college players or their likenesses also is not a detriment to a games success. Front Page Sports football cornered the market prior to madden's emergence. This series showed that a solid career mode and user interface (and numerous other features) can make licensing not as crucial. It ushered in the development of maddens career mode. In fact ea hired numerous developers from Sierra when their series shut down. (Ironically, the obtainment if the nfl license and the pressures involved helped this along). The lack of catering to the licensing and ncaa regulations could give them more development time and a different focus. (Maybe all those guys designing uniforms and opening montage can put in a referee or two).

I'm intrigued by what to expect from this series in the future.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Banned

IrishFrank's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Mestevo, BA2929... Do you guys even know what "silver lining to a cloud" means?

Obviously a lot remains to be seen, but once the dust settles there very well could still be an opportunity there, and one with a bit more freedom as outlined above. Having a minuscule number of schools and a few conferences drop out won't make that big of a difference; it's a few chinks in the armor. The majority of college football fans aren't looking for every fine little detail to be there in the game. So barring some sort of mass exodus by schools, a game could easily still be made and profited from.
But I believe, after re-reading the heading of his topic it said "Sliver Lining"
slivers are painful, especially if you get one in a sensitive area, like a finger or something. Could he mean that the lining to the future of NCAA is going to be painful?

Ouch!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 10

If ea continues the silver lining would be they can no longer rely on the name NCAA to sell the game. They will have to innovate and come up with something fresh and new.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

With zero intent to rip on the OP, nor the group of posters that are dreaming up things that less oversight by the NCAA and institutions will allow for greater flexibility within the game...

I just think that many EA NCAA followers are thinking like gamers rather than looking at the possible results from an EA business standpoint.

Just yesterday read an article that states NCAA college football console game (which, unlike Madden and FIFA, does not sell well outside of the U.S.) makes up just 5% of EA business income. To be fair, that figure -- $125 million -- is nothing to sneeze at, but I can't see a company making decisions to rally and keep a game going with the ever increasing number of hurdles to clear.

As well, we've read that there will be, for lack of the accurate word or phrase they'll choose, a watchdog system set up to ensure (well, at least try to ensure) Teambuilder does not host logos (conference or institution) of any conference or institution that has backed out of inclusion.

Simply from a business standpoint, I can't see EA continuing on with the game. Watered down might not be the right way to phrase it, but a game with the Tallahasse Panhandlers, Austin Cow-tippers and Birmingham Arm & Hammers (see what I did there all you Bama fans?!) will lose some of the consumers who make up that 5%, even with a playoff system.

To me, it just doesn't sound like a good business decision for EA to continue producing -- research, innovations, ad campaigns, ongoing patches and tuners -- the game...so no, I don't think there's a silver or sliver lining in this dark cloud.

Extra note: the article I read talked about how IF some settlement or court decision or agreement to pay all college football players (in a trust fund) came out of this, the figure would, per school, be as much as........

$85,000!!!!! Divided by 100+ players!! (scholly's + gray shirts). Those guys would be getting rich off of their likenesses!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Mestevo, BA2929... Do you guys even know what "silver lining to a cloud" means?

Obviously a lot remains to be seen, but once the dust settles there very well could still be an opportunity there, and one with a bit more freedom as outlined above. Having a minuscule number of schools and a few conferences drop out won't make that big of a difference; it's a few chinks in the armor. The majority of college football fans aren't looking for every fine little detail to be there in the game. So barring some sort of mass exodus by schools, a game could easily still be made and profited from.
Yes, I know what "silver lining" means. Why do people feel the need to question intelligence?

If you're going to say what you said in your first post, then I have the right to disagree with you. That's the point of a message board, correct? To have a civilized discussion? You want to believe everything will be ok if just a few teams drop out and there are no conferences involved? Great. Way to look at the bright side. However, I have the right to say that losing those teams and the conferences is a death sentence for the game and NOT a silver lining.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Rookie

nolesfan69's Arena

OVR: 3
Icon13 Re: A sliver lining to this lawsuit cloud?

What kills me is O'Bannon doesn't realize that he is hurting fans of the series not just EA. The games has it's issues and I know alot of gamers dislike EA but this is our only NCAA license game and it's gone. Thanks to him. This may drive me away from watching or buying anymore NCAA products.

3 time ACC Champs- 2011, 2012 and 2015
1 time Orange Bowl Champs- 2011
National Champions - 2012
Bowl Games 5-2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 1

I just don't understand why the game cannot continue with all of the real teams, conference, and bowl games but just use completely random rosters??? Seems like a logical solution to all of the issues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »