Home

Should I get this game...?

This is a discussion on Should I get this game...? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Should I get this game...?

So I'm a big football fan, moreso NFL than college though. But I have played NCAA in the past and have enjoyed myself with it, though I got tired of super LBs in the past as well as the cpu defense calling their formations based off of the play you are running rather than the personnel you have on the field (like, in the past if you called a run play out of a spread formation the CPU would knowyou called a run play and come out in a bae 4-3, 3-4 etc defense).

I got madden this year but I am very disappointed. I like sim type play and realistic results, and madden isn't doing it for me. I am a big fan of running a team, doin franchise, etc, but the broken features are currently ruining that for me. But enough about madden.

I thought of getting this before madden came out anyway, but decided to save my money. I was just curious what you guys recommend? Should I get this game to get a better football experience, including dynasty mode? Are there any glitches in the game that may sway my decision that I should know about?

I know I have heard some complaints when it was first released that D is practically non existant. I'm sure some slider sets have fixed this though, and with it being the college game I don't mind as much. But are there any other things people seem to complain about? Things about the game you don't like?

And please tell me defenses will come out matching your personell rather than coming out in a 4-3 because they know you called a run play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Should I get this game...?

I'm not sure which version you had but if you had any enjoyment playing either NCAA 12 or NCAA 13, you will LOVE 14.

Also on amazon ncaa 14 is now only39.99 I believe.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

There are no super linebackers that I have seen. Also their defense matches your personel.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

I did enjoy them for the most part. I'm just wondering how quickly I'll adjust to the new recruiting. I was pretty good with recruiting the way it was before.

I assume they still have the ability to make custom conferences right?

And the game isn't programmed to automatically make the conference changes that are going to happen in the next few years are they (those are still happening right? lol)?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I did enjoy them for the most part. I'm just wondering how quickly I'll adjust to the new recruiting. I was pretty good with recruiting the way it was before.

And the game isn't programmed to automatically make the conference changes that are going to happen in the next few years are they (those are still happening right? lol)?
Yep, custom conferences are still in the game. The game isn't programmed to make the upcoming changes happen but can easily be done. Also, from what I've seen anyways, they've eliminated an old glitch where customizing conferences would cause some schools to only schedule 11 games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

Your situation sounds very similar to my own. Long time football fan, prefer NFL over College, fed up of how stale and uninspiring Madden often feels.

I picked up NCAA 14, it's my first NCAA game and I'm very much enjoying it. There are a number of elements to the game that have me hooked:

I like the large spread in teams and their abilities. 32 teams in Madden, few at the top, few at the bottom, not much separating everyone else. I like (strange as it sounds) playing games I have less than say, a 10% chance of winning, regardless of what I do. On madden, I seem to spend all my time trying NOT to win the Superbowl so I don't get bored so quickly.

The Coaching carousel allows you to feel like you are creating a career, where you can move up from team to team as you improve. In Madden you pick who you like, when you like. How is that interesting or realistic?

The ability to play as a coordinator. I've played 5 seasons of my dynasty now, not a massively frequent player but I've had the game since a few weeks after release. I've still not played a single snap on defence. 3 years at Army as OC playing just snaps on offence, into my 2nd year at Mid Tenn State now. I feel I'll get a head coaching job when I deserve one, see the above point about career progression.

There are good sliders. I personally like mine. They are a challenge , but this isn't madden or NCAA specific, just a general thing. I find NCAA a challenge. I get beat a fair amount to, especially since I have no control over special teams or defence. Just gotta fiddle around til something works. Also, use house rules for recruiting or it can get too easy and stale. I have house rules, and I really enjoy recruiting, it excites me.

Finally, I wrote this in another thread recently and I still think its pretty true. Don't expect football. You aren't getting football. Madden isn't football, and neither is NCAA. You are getting EA Sports version of football, that's been built on years of not quite right decisions that then evolve into how the game plays (like the lineman interaction. Fundamentally flawed, but never addressed). If you can accept that fact, NCAA will be fine for you. I liken it to wanting an orange, but getting a lemon. They're nearly the same shape, they're both a citrus fruit, but they're just not the same. EA don't make football sims, they make EA Sports football games. Kinda the same but not quite. But you played Madden so you know that anyway
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

you sound like me as well....i love football. madden is pretty good, but not great. only 32 teams too. ncaa has MUCH more variety. the teambuilder option is cool too. not only that, this is the last year for the ncaa license.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP

You have to make the future conference changes ur self but the game makes it easy to do. I did do it in the offseason in more than 10 minutes.

Recruiting this year is harder in the way that you won't be signing 25 recruits in one year like in previous years. The classes tend to be smaller but in terms of the talent your bringing in its not harder at all. Some could even make an arguemenet its too easy if you know what your doing,

I was thinking of getting madden this year for the first time since 08 (lol) but judging by the comments here I think I will pass again.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »