Home

Tips for General Improvement?

This is a discussion on Tips for General Improvement? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0
Tips for General Improvement?

I'm bad at NCAA. I'm in a super fun Online Dynasty, but I'm really bad at the game. I had ten wins combined in the first two seasons on AA, and am now 0-7 on Heisman. Since we switched to Heisman, the games aren't even close. My main problem is that I'm bad on the sticks on Defense; I get juked while strafing, or have a tackle get broken, and simple runs will go 70+ yards for the TD. This happens when I've got 7-8 in coverage, and it'll happen when I spotlight the HB with 8 in the box. I've tried all the base defensive playbooks, zone and man, coverage and blitz schemes. I do surprisingly well against other players, and play well on offense in general. I just can't seem to get a stop on defense, no matter what I do. And since it's an Online Dynasty, the sliders are set. Advice for how to get better? Preferably more than "just play more games, you'll get used to it," if there is, in fact, advice beyond that.

tl;dr I need to adapt to existing sliders and get better on defense...but how?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Tips for General Improvement?

Play less defense. Not by supersimming, but by letting the CPU help you. Playing on Heisman the CPU is pretty solid so you are better off playing one position and not switching around to everyone trying to make user plays if you struggle on defense.

The other thing to look at is what kind of plays are causing you to get beat? Are you getting burned on read options? If so use lb in game to change your option defense. You can tell your defense to always go after the QB or the Pitch(read) guy. Personally I tell my defense to play the halfback and I user a linebacker to play for the QB keeper.

Mixing up your play calls can also have a huge effect. Run some bland base defense till you get an idea of what your opponent is trying to do, than make adjustments to shut them down. Don't be afraid to bring pressure especially when its less expected
Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

When you say you keep getting out juked on defense are you manually controlling the guy trying to make a tackle? Either don't switch to the player about to make a tackle or don't switch too early. Also if on ps3 you hold X the player will run to the ball better.

Another great way to stop the run is to audio be ur d " to show blitz" the dljnemen will pinch together closing up the middle and the safeties will stack the box.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Keep playing! It's simple really. The more you play, the better you will get. You had 10 wins in two years on AA, then stay at AA until you feel you can win all the time at that level. If you can't step back in your online league to AA, either get out of it or just keep playing. At some point the game will slow down for you and you will start playing better.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

Take advantage of the Nike Skills Trainer thing. I had no clue how in the world to run a read option when I first put this in. Never ran it in the past. Now I'm running all kinds of options out of the shotgun. It will help you tremendously on both sides of the ball. Offense and Defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

My only suggestion is to forget about defense and just dominate on offense. I struggle the same as you do on defense but I put up 60+ points a game. When I play my friends we usually both score 100+ points. One time we both scored 200+ because we went into like 15 OT cause we couldn't stop each other. And I wouldn't suggest to just stop playing defense because the CPU is probably just as bad as you. Whenever I play as an OC(most if not all of the time) my defense gives up 500+ passing yards a game and gives up like 50 or more points a game. Just get really good on offense and you don't have to worry about it.
NBA-Sonics :'(
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Rookie

Branchurian's Arena

Preach Cusefan74! I was a big 2K guy and when I made the choice to take on NCAA 14. I was angry and frustrated with the scheme and wanted to quit, I stuck with it though and I am starting to see victories and even when I lose, ppl damn sure no my name and knows this guy came to play. So I urge you to endure and keep battling, your getting better every time. I'll admit the D is pretty underpowered in this game but that's not to say you still can't lock ppl down. Try not to turbo unless your chasing after a guy and don't hold turbo it's just like a move like hand fighting. Hang in there and I hope to battle you soon!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »