Home

How in the world are you supposed to...

This is a discussion on How in the world are you supposed to... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Rookie

Landonio's Arena

OVR: 2
How in the world are you supposed to...

play defense this year? At least VS human players (I've yet to play VS the CPU, but I plan to start a Dynasty soon)? I played a couple games last night against my friend, and defense seemed borderline impossible. It was extremely frustrating. Offense was a joke (at least once you got the ball in your hand and a little space). Running seems WAY too easy this year with how strong the jukes and cuts are. Particularly the option. Granted he was using A&M and Manziel is ridiculous with his inflated 92 speed, but still. I was getting big time option runs with my QB who was in the low 80s in speed.

The more I play the current (technically last now) gen football games, the more I miss the older gen games (particularly NCAA '04 and '05, which were the near perfect, IMHO). You could actually play DEFENSE on those games! I remember I became unstoppable at shutting down the run and getting pressure, and it wasn't by resorting to nano blitzes or cheese like you have to seem to do on the newer NCAAs.

Everything just seemed more skillful and you actually had to be GOOD to do well. You also had WAY more control over what was going on, unlike nearly every football game I've played post-'05. It just feels like you have no control over anything and it's best to just not even touch the controller sometimes because you're going to screw something up 90% of the time, unlike the older games where User control was extremely tight, yet also skillful and fun at the same time. If you really wanted to take your game to the next level and dominate, you had to master User control. It seems worthless in '14.

Getting clean tackles is extremely difficult this year. If a ball carrier is running at me and I try to go for a tackle head on, I completely miss 90% of the time. They just juke my dick off and I don't even know what I did wrong. It feels like luck when I do make the rare good play on D. Also, on the rare occasion where I actually DO make the correct decision and play the situation PERFECTLY, I STILL get burned because of some stupid rocket catch or a BS broken tackle (which also seem to happen WAY to frequently).

Are you just never supposed to press the Turbo button and just use lateral movement/strafing or something? Because that's really lame. Also, when I do that, I get burned by the pass even though I know the EXACT route that a player is running and appear to be playing it perfectly. Offense/ball carrying is WAY to f'ing good this year in general, IMHO.

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: How in the world are you supposed to...

Find a slider set that fits you. I have no issues with defense in my OD. I'm usually in the top 5, year in, year out.

You can call it being a "Homer". But as Tupac said, its California Love.

My Teams
NFL- San Francisco 49ers
NBA- Los Angeles Lakers
NHL- Anaheim Ducks
MLB - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
NCAA - USC
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Rookie

Landonio's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm talking about online head-to-head. You can't use custom settings/sliders at all even in unranked, which is incredibly dumb.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Rookie

dso122783's Arena

OVR: 0

I have found that no matter what year the game is, you can't play defense online 99% of the time. If you're going to play online all you can really do is hope you have a good defensive backfield. I'd say out of 10 games online, I might play 2 with people who don't air it out almost every play. Waste of time for a sim player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »