Home

How to make your Dynasty realistic...?

This is a discussion on How to make your Dynasty realistic...? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
How to make your Dynasty realistic...?

Hey guys,

first off I know that this is probably been discussed throughout the time period in which NCAA 14 has been released, but I still want to ask and refresh this topic. I find myself restarting my career over and over trying to make it as realistic as humanly possibly. I always pick a 1 star program and start off as an OC at this school. Now, I will state that I am a very experience NCAA football game player and also a very educated football player from pee-wee all the way through college and even a little college coaching as well. I know football in and out and the game pretty much in and out. So to take a 1 star program being the OC and raking up a 10 win season is pretty much standard at this point (even using Infinity's Dynasty Challenging sliders.)

So my question is, for you NCAA lovers, like I am, who crave the most realistic story line of OC'ing a 1 star program to a very successful season, and to gain the excitement of having that next tier program offer you a position, what are your takes and strategies of accepting jobs. For example, I started a 1 star South Alabama OC job and (if memory serves me correctly) I went on to win atleast 10 games, won my conference, and won a bowl (Military or GoDaddy bowl) after entering the coaching carousel I figured a successful 1 star programs OC who generated a level 8-10 on Coaching Tree, I would possibly be offered a mid-of-the-road maybe 2-4 star OC job. And BAM! I had offers from Oregon, Ohio State, UCLA, etc. Now in my mind, no OC from the Sun Belt conference is about to take over the reins at Oregon or Ohio State. So I declined all of these top tier programs to make it more realistic and joined a 3 star West Virginia team coming off a down year. I feel like that would be more realistic in the coaching world.

Let me know what you guys thinks and how you determine your next coaching job based on what you think would really take place in the world of College Football.

Thanks for any feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How to make your Dynasty realistic...?

I take the OC job at my say Ok State, then I usually take a head coaching job at a mid major, eventually landing at a BCS conference school

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Rookie

One year OC, minimum three years head coach at mid major, before moving on to a major conference

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Hey man. I started up a topic just like this a while back here

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-syndrome.html

There are a lot of good ideas in that thread that I picked up. Some of the main ones are these (with some minor differences), courtesy of CR3AMnCR1MS0N.

Quote:
Job upgrade restrictions:

I had to start as an OC of a low prestige school and could only upgrade to non-BCS schools a max of two stars better than my current school or BCS-AQ schools which were a max of one star better than my current school. I also made myself stay as an OC for at least 5 years total.

When I finally did become a HC I made a rule that it has to be a school at least 3 stars lower than the school where I was last an OC. The same rules for taking new jobs that I placed for a OC apply for HC with an added rule that I must spend 5 years at one school as HC before leaving.

I did have a few exceptions to these rules tho:

If one of my "dream jobs" opened up, I can leave to accept it at anytime, as long as I did not upgrade from OC to HC to do it.

Dream jobs include:
Indiana - My favorite
Wake Forest - Coaches alma mater
TCU - Idk why, I just like them.

I can also leave to be the HC at a school where I was OC previously at any time.

These would include:
North Texas
Colorado

Recruiting Restrictions

I kinda let these slide at the first two jobs, but at New Mexico State I'm imposing these restrictions:

- Can recruit any interested prospects
- Non interested prospects can only be recruited if they fit the following rules:
1) In state recruits signed can only have a rating 2-stars higher than school prestige rating (NMSU is a 1-star program, so in state kids can only be a max of 3-stars).
2) Players who are from out of state, but are from a pipeline state can have rating of one-star higher than school prestige (so 2-star max for now).
3) All non-pipeline recruits must be same rating as school's prestige or lower (1-star current max).
-Max number of prospects I can sign is # of seniors leaving +2.
I recently started no longer scouting players either. That way I have the potential of landing busts and it keeps it more exciting.

I just got back into the game after a hiatus and my most recent dynasty has the details in my sig. I will admit that I did sim some games, otherwise I would have likely won more.

As far as gameplay wise. I use buffeyes sliders. I also got rid of all 4 Vert plays in my PB and severely limit the amount of read option I run since it is so overpowered in the game. Helps keep it more competitive

I know of people who have lowered QBs THA in order to make passing more of a challenge. I also know some edit the stamina of their RBs so that they get more of a rotation in the backfield

Last edited by Robo COP; 06-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Rookie

QBA at 5. Accept no substitute. Even QB 5 can give you some games where your QB just won't miss a throw if he is a talented QB. I haven't had the desire to restart my dynasty, but all those years of great numbers I pulled with QBA higher feels cheap.

Another suggestion is playbooks. As OC I always used the default playbook for that team. Another alternative is to pick a playbook style and only take over teams (at least as OC) that only run that type of philosophy. Would Georgia Tech really bring in an air raid coach? Doubtful. Once you get to a HC job, custom playbooks are fine, but don't cram it with too many philosophies. An air raid team wouldn't have time in practice to perfect the flexbone and its pitches, and its unrealistic to have your players run that type of play perfectly in sync. You also shouldn't have half 5 WR sets, the the other half 3 RB sets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Banned

jt2000's Arena

After reading some ideas. I came up with a set up of ideas to make dynasty a little more challenging. Here is my list. Tell me what you think.
I am thinking about doing a mock tryout with Texas St. (with the newest rosters you can find If you choose to play with them)

*State Recruiting Death Ban* 5-10 years (up to you)
Start off as a OC.
You can't recruit nobody from your state.
You can't scout any players
You can only go after players 1 star high then your school.
IE : Texas St. is a 1 star. You can only recruit 2* players. Then after you rank up another star just repeat the process.
You can only go after 1 ATH a year! So make it count!
*Here's a twist* No custom playbooks. You must run your OC playbook. Since alot of them comes from different schools.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Rookie

RDS plagued me until I decided to design my own playbook. I don't mean just grabbing a bunch of plays and formations you like and running with it. I am talking about actually crafting a scheme based around a philosophy. Or at least adopting a philosophy/playbook and learning it backwards and forward. For me I created a playbook and tested and tested until I got it where I wanted it (I would be happy to share if anyone is interested and a fan of the triple option).

Next step, the story. For me, the back-story is a big part of the fun so I took my old RTG from NCAA 10 (Which coincided with when I entered school). In that RTG I was a QB for Georgia Tech. I never ended up finishing it and noticed IRL they don't have an offensive coordinator and Paul Johnson has been on the hot seat for under performing. Even though they were a bigger school I decided to start as their OC running my offense. I will probably do this again whenever the 14-15 rosters come out but will probably start at Georgia Southern (Paul Johnson was a long time coach, it would be like them giving me a job reference haha)

I hope this helps
Old 06-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Rookie

IronVictory's Arena

OVR: 8

I used to suffer from the same thing, but I have been playing the same dynasty since last July and I am having a blast.

What I do is always sim away games (only play home games and champ/bowl games) and I save the result no matter what. I can't remember who recommended that to me, but it was definitely someone on this site. Whoever you are, thanks!

Undefeated seasons are very difficult, and it makes hoisting that conference trophy or crystal ball all the more special.

Also, it increases your home-field reputation as a tough place to play (provided you win), and it makes the regular season go faster. If you're anything like me, you're always wanting to get to the championship games, bowls, awards, All-Americans, and coaching carousel.

Last edited by IronVictory; 06-21-2014 at 08:41 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »