Home

Oklahoma offense and defense

This is a discussion on Oklahoma offense and defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Oklahoma offense and defense

Can anyone tell me what OU likes to do on offense and defense?

Are they a spread to run or pass offense? Are they an attacking defense? What coverages do they run? That type of thing thanks.

p.s. Any tips on what type of players to recruit on both sides of the ball would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Oklahoma offense and defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy7
Can anyone tell me what OU likes to do on offense and defense?

Are they a spread to run or pass offense? Are they an attacking defense? What coverages do they run? That type of thing thanks.

p.s. Any tips on what type of players to recruit on both sides of the ball would be appreciated.
I can only tell you what my experience has been in playing them in the game - not an OU fan, so I don't see them too much on TV - but in the game they run a hurry up, fast-paced offense.

Their defense is nothing special in terms of philosophy, then again, when I play them it's either using the Run & Shoot or my 5-Wide offense, so perhaps someone else would be better to ask on that.

As far as recruiting players... it's Oklahoma... you should be able to get just about anyone you want! LOL Good sized backs, speedy WR's, accurate QB's, size and speed on defense... that part of it should be cake!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Rookie

malowry's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm an OU fanatic, so I'm obviously very familiar with what they do.

Right now, the offense is in a bit of a transition. Before last year, OU had become heavily focused on the passing game and the spread no-huddle. However, with a lack of experience at QB last season, the coaching staff shifted the offensive focus to the running game, intending for freshman Trevor Knight to run more of a hurry-up option attack. Knight went down with an injury early in the year, leaving the job to junior Blake Bell. At that point, OU tried to do a mix of both philosophies, and it got worse as the season went on. Bell's injury against Iowa State gave Knight another chance, and OU finished the year with four straight wins, including a stunning 348-yard, 4 TD passing performance against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

To summarize, OU tries to be pretty balanced on offense. Typically, they run to set up the pass, although they can lean pretty heavily one way or the other if it's effective. Regardless, they run the hurry-up at pretty much all times.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Rookie

malowry's Arena

OVR: 3

Defensively, OU is very aggressive. Mike Stoops' mindset is to attack constantly, no matter what the situation is. They switched to a 3-3-5 defense last year to counteract the spread offenses in the Big 12. They tend to use man coverage more than zone IIRC. Blitzes are very common on third downs.

Recruitingwise, I agree with the poster before me. OU goes for the best at every position, big or small, fast or slow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »