Home

Butch Jones' Tennessee spread offense

This is a discussion on Butch Jones' Tennessee spread offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Butch Jones' Tennessee spread offense

Does anyone know how to run Butch Jones' spread offense at Tennessee?
I'm trying to run it now, but difficulty stringing plays together, and getting a good groove and grasp of the system play calling wise. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Butch Jones' Tennessee spread offense

If you haven't already I suggest using the generic Spread play book instead of the default Tennessee play book. It seems to have more variety and more plays in space for receivers. This offense though like most others in the game starts with the running game. I know it's tough at WRU to not go deep every play but start with pounding the rock and short passes and then go deep.

Good luck and go Vols!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Banned

jt2000's Arena

I asked the same question with VT offense and got ignored.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy7
I'm trying to run it now, but difficulty stringing plays together, and getting a good groove and grasp of the system

All kidding aside, that sounds just like Tennessee's offense...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Rookie

zkiesel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy7
I'm trying to run it now, but difficulty stringing plays together, and getting a good groove and grasp of the system play calling wise. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Last week, I actually created a custom playbook for Tennessee: http://www.simsports.net/viewPlayboo...bid=2385&gid=2

This is based on film I watched of the Georgia and South Carolina games. As with Tennessee's real-life offense, you have to be able to run the football. You're running the inside zone out of the shotgun formations to set up the pass. There are both designed RB handoffs and read-options in this playbook, just like Mike Bajakian ran with Justin Worley last season.

The passing game is a spread one, and is based on short passes. Set up the short passing game first, then go to the longer passing game. There is an I-Formation and an Offset I-Formation to go to in short-yardage and goal-line situations. There are 3 single-back formations that Bajakian likes to go to inside the 20.

As for tempo, I like to go no-huddle after 1st down plays as long as I wasn't in an I-Formation. But I use "Ask Coach" 90% of the time to get a good run-pass balance. So I'm snapping it with 25 seconds on the clock. If you prefer to call your own plays, I'd suggest going no-huddle after gains, and going fast on 1st-down plays. Don't go too fast, as Butch's attack isn't nearly as tempo-based as Malzahn's.

I also use formation subs a lot. First, I make sure my receivers are in the right spot (North at split end, Croom/Smith at flanker, Howard in the slot). Then, I try to split formations between Neal and Lane in the backfield to get a more realistic number of carries for each of them. Also make sure that the "Shotgun Slot Offset" formation has both of them in the backfield, and not Downs or something weird like that.

Basically you want to run the ball 60% of the time, and throw 40% of the time. Hope this helps!

Last edited by zkiesel; 08-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

And to keep it as real as possible, on read-option plays, you have to give the ball 99% with Worley. If you have Dobbs in, then you can actually read the end.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Rookie

zkiesel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman
And to keep it as real as possible, on read-option plays, you have to give the ball 99% with Worley. If you have Dobbs in, then you can actually read the end.
Right, the rules I use for Tennessee running this offense:

1. Run read-options only when you are on either the left or right hash, and run the option such that the QB keeps towards the nearest sideline. This cuts down on hits, and seems more realistic to me.

2. Whenever you run the read-option with any team, begin by reading the end. But if there is another LB/CB that shows blitz off the same end, ALWAYS GIVE. It doesn't matter if you get stuffed in the backfield with your RB. QBs are taught to give until the opportunity arises to keep. If the defense stacks 2+ defenders on one end of the LOS, either switch the play or give the ball.

I used this offense with Tennessee, and using these rules, usually ended up with 6-7 option keeps for Worley. Obviously this is still more than the 1-2 he actually keeps per game, but it looks like that's going to change this season given the Spring Game. We'll see. Regardless, those are my rules for this offense and for most offenses. Keeps me grounded, personally.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »