Home

Question about the pistol offense

This is a discussion on Question about the pistol offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Question about the pistol offense

started a new dynasty the other day and decided to run an offense I don't normally use just to be different. So I put a pistol playbook together based on Clemson's and added a few formations to theirs.

So is the pistol offense made to run first and pa pass or is it more balanced because it doesn't seem to have a variety of plays, just a lot of the same type of pass or run. Just looking for some insight to help run it effectively
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Question about the pistol offense

The way many college teams have used it in the past is primarily for better disguising runs and passes. For example:

A typical power run play out of an I or Single back formation has the RB stand 7 yards behind the ball. This allows for the RB to pick up speed as he approaches the ball/LOS. When a team passes out of the I or Single back formation, the RB typically stands 5 yards behind the ball allowing him to pick up a block or get into a passing route quicker.

By running a Pistol, you allow the RB to line up 7 yards off the ball regardless of the play called.

As it relates to NCAA 13/14, I like to run counters and play actions out of the pistol. There are also some interesting read option plays you can run out of this form if you like the misdirection stuff.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Rookie

Re: Question about the pistol offense

The best thing about the pistol is the versatility. It can really be any style of offense you want it to be.

Personally, I am a big fan of option. So, I use the pistol more like Nevada does in real life. I run every zone read play I can find, with a slightly conservative passing game. I have option plays as my audibles (mostly triple option), so I can exploit a blocking advantage to a particular side. Formation choices tend to include at least a TE, and often a FB too. The best thing about pistol zone read plays is that (most of the time) the RB is running straight forward, so he can hit the hole with momentum. Therefore, it is MUCH more effective at power running than the shotgun is.

However, if passing is your thing (or you just don't like running option), you can use the pistol the way the Green Bay Packers do. They can hand the ball of to Eddie Lacy, smashing straight downhill, or they can pass from the same formation -- but they sure as heck aren't gonna call many QB runs with the ultra-valuable Rodgers in the game. The pistol is mostly the same as the shotgun for passing, because the QB is away from the line. However, the much improved run positioning makes it versatile (which makes play action more effective). It is possible to have an extremely effective pistol offense with zero option plays. Formations for this style would obviously favor more WR's.

The real answer to your question is that the pistol is not one single kind of offense. You really have to decide which playing style you like and choose formations/plays that compliment that style. A pistol playbook can be option heavy, non-option run heavy, pass heavy, or a balance between run and pass (like Clemson). It may sound like I'm not really answering your question, but that IS the answer: The pistol can comfortably accommodate ANY playing style.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Just started!

Connecticut vs South Florida Live

Competition: NCAA Regular season 2014
Week 04= Connecticut vs South Florida Live
Date:Friday, September 19 ,2014
Time: 8:00 PM ET
Live / Repeat:Live
Don’t worry,it is too easy to watch.just try it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »