Home

Finally bought an X - now, 05 on that or PS2?

This is a discussion on Finally bought an X - now, 05 on that or PS2? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2004, 05:59 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Finally bought an X - now, 05 on that or PS2?

Quote:

ochoco said:

Next Gens will definatly have to fight for my money cause I am not in bed with either company!

Amen to that! I may end up getting both again if there is a reason. There was this time. There were a lot more games for PS2 early on (less of an issue now) but more power and ease of use on the XBOX. I might just get one. But I am sure going to wait a month or two after they are out before I get anything just to see what people like about each and what kind of probelems they are having. I own somewhere in the house:

NES
Sega Genesis
PS1
PS2 and XBOX of which the X is my current favorite

So in a sense I haven't really stuck with the same company yet.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

bkrich83 said:
Quote:

ODogg said:
If you've got a headset and broadband then PS2 is just as good as XBOX for online play. As I said, it all comes down to the fact that for whatever reason EA Sports games control better on the PS2 than the XBOX. However it seems XBOX always has slightly better graphics than PS2. So it all comes down to which you prefer, a better looking or better controlling game. That's why althogh I have both systems I'll be picking it up for the PS2 over the superior system, the XBOX.

Odogg, after playing in several leagues last year, with my headset and broadband. The PS2 network does not perform anywhere near as well as XBL. Funny thing is all the people I played on last year that had XBOX's all said the same thing. "Can you imagine if this was on XBL?".

I still also don't get where the PS2 version controlls better. I have both versions and see no difference in controller response.

Network doesn't perform near as well as XBL? Well I'm not sure what that means but I've played in over 300 games on PS2 online and probably had about 3 or 4 where the games been lagged and that's been only when playing dialup. The rest of the time the game is the same as playing someone sitting beside me. So i'm not sure how much better the "network" can be, if it plays fine and the headset works (which the PS2 one does work as well as XBOX) then what else is there to do to make the XBL so much better?

As for load times, I agree PS2 is a pain. But i'll take more responsive control and a gamepad that's better suited to the game than waiting 30 seconds less at bootup and having slightly better graphics. And what do I mean by control is better? Well simple, the PS2 gamepad is better suited with the shoulder buttons as well as being more responsive. It's subtle but after playing it on both system it's definitely noticeable.

I'm not anti-XBOX or anything either guys. I'll be the first to admit that ESPN on XBOX is far superior to the PS2 version. I don't think i'm all that "weird" in the sense of these beleifs either. Just about everyone I know pretty much accepts the fact that EA Sports games are better on PS2 than the XBOX whereas Segas games seem to be better on XBOX than the PS2. Perhaps it's what each company is just better at programming or prefer but it seems fairly clear cut to me. Now perhaps this year will be different and XBOX EA Sports games will be the superior product. However from reading the XBOX E3 impressions and watching the movies it appears once again NCAA and EA Sports games in general will still run faster, be more responsive and just plain play better (although maybe not quite as pretty as I said XBOX does look nicer slightly) on PS2 over the XBOX. As for me I'll be buying all the EA Sports games on PS2 and the Sega games on the XBOX. Although I just may buy NCAA 2005 on both systems because I do have friends who are on XBL who don't even own PS2's.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks for the answers....but I still have a question on which to buy.

I picked up the X because I have been wanting to have Halo and once they had the SE Halo X, that prevented me from continuing to fight the urge to have an X.

I'm not going to buy NCAA for both systems - I have hardly enough time to play any games now, much less the same game on both systems.

What put me over the top on X was the XBL support on EA games since I mostly play those....Tiger, NCAA, Madden and figured they'd look much better on X. I say online is important and I did play some online last year with NCAA, but not nearly enough for that to be a huge factor I don't think.

Talking in circles.....I guess I'll wait on the "formal" reviews for each and decide then. I seem to recall that the only reason X versions didn't do better than PS2 versions in the reviews last year was the fact that PS2 was online. Will be interesting to see how those come out.

And, I have a hook up to get the rosters for PS2 - but not for X....I'll have to work on that since it sounds downloading them right to the X isn't an option.

C93
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »