Home

Stopping the pass with inferior talent

This is a discussion on Stopping the pass with inferior talent within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Living the Dream

SugaRicky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stopping the pass with inferior talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I have had success against the CPU using a 4-2-5 but I use formation subs to get better talent on the field. I sub a LB in at RE to get pass rush, much like many real life coaches will do. I put a CB in the "star" or nickel spot since the SS on this game suck in coverage. I make sure my 2 LB spots have cover guys in and not a guy with lower speed and coverage abilities. Once you get the proper guys on the field things improve for me.
I've tried this, but I had a feeling that the awareness and rating drop hindered me. Do you think the awareness and rating drop affect it in anyway or are the effects negligible to you?
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaRicky
I've tried this, but I had a feeling that the awareness and rating drop hindered me. Do you think the awareness and rating drop affect it in anyway or are the effects negligible to you?
The most INTs I have ever had in a season, 8 by one player, cam from a corner playing in the 2nd SS spot in the 4-2-5. In fact my team leader in picks always comes from that spot. The only thing that decreases is awareness and overall. If I was simmer games then it might come into pray but I okay every game, by play I mean I don't do coach mode or one button crap.

As for the LB at DE I don't see anything that concerns me either. The speed will allow him to beat the tackle to the edge. If you keep him clean, not allow the tackle to get a hand on him, then you can get some nice pressure. If the tackle licks on then the bigger player will lock him up. This is no different then in real life.

So to answer your question, no I don't see anything from the drop in overall and awareness ratings. In fact my team becomes better as I have a better cover guy in the game and more speed then a DE has going after the QB. Call it cheese but coaches all over college and the NFL are going to this type of stuff so I guess they cheese as well.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Just started!

This is really good idea to discuss your game and the problem your facing in your game you will discuss here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Banned

Cover four is a good bend but don't break defense. definitely isn't a world beater coverage. However. It kills the four vertical scheme(with a little user skill) you will get picks without just getting slaughtered down the field. It's kinda like bleeding a slow death. Which is better than letting people score in a few plays
Old 04-07-2015, 01:37 AM   #13
Rookie

The best defense is a good offense. I don't mind at all dinking and dunking down the field because it lets me eat up clock and reduces the amount of stops my defense is asked to get. On the actual defensive side, I try to get pressure on the QB before he gets into a rhythm. This means a lot of LB blitzes and on key third downs, a DB blitz if I have a fast guy in the slot. Sometimes I am playing a great QB and a difficult to defend scheme, in which case I abandoned blitzing and try and vary up my coverages. A good QB is going to be so decisive with the ball that he can exploit the blitz, but if I get enough guys in coverage I have a small chance of pressure from the front 4 making it happen.

I reconcile myself to the fact that I won't always stop an opponent early in the game, but I try to figure out the type of routes being tried repeatedly and dial up a good defense to stop that. If they are doing a lot of screens or quick hitters, that cover 2 can be devestating. If they are running more downfield routes, that cover 2 leaves some major gaps behind the sideline CB's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »