Home

Running the flexbone against the 3-4

This is a discussion on Running the flexbone against the 3-4 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Running the flexbone against the 3-4

Whughes, I think that is a good idea. You need to do what Air Force does and that's run the triple from all types of formations and isn't restricted to just flexbone. Add in I-formations, gun, and flex to mix things up.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
MVP

whughes's Arena

OVR: 0

Ok guys, just to clarify, I know how to make the reads. I am making the right reads. My problem is when the defense is in a 3-4 and the defensive ends stands up and doesn't crash, I give to my dive back. The problem is that when I give to the dive back the play side outside linebacker crashes in super fast instead of following the triple option fakes to the outside.

I've never even labbed Air Force's book. Never even thought of them honestly. I've played with the other 3 option books in Georgia Tech, Army, and Navy. I'll have to play around with Air Force's book before I bother making a custom one

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Ok guys, just to clarify, I know how to make the reads. I am making the right reads. My problem is when the defense is in a 3-4 and the defensive ends stands up and doesn't crash, I give to my dive back. The problem is that when I give to the dive back the play side outside linebacker crashes in super fast instead of following the triple option fakes to the outside.

I've never even labbed Air Force's book. Never even thought of them honestly. I've played with the other 3 option books in Georgia Tech, Army, and Navy. I'll have to play around with Air Force's book before I bother making a custom one
Yeah definitely make a custom playbook. Just look at AF's book first to see how they run the triple from a bunch of different sets. I actually enjoy running the triple like that better since it breaks up the monotony of running from the flex so much, and you should be able handle any defense thrown at you with all of those different sets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
Rookie

RyanXGrindle's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes

I have run into the same problem, particularly when you are playing a much better team. I played USC with Wyoming and even if you read it perfect the OLB can still make up for it and crash down to get the FB. Because the OLB is basically a free man on this play if he is rated well he can make almost every play (except rarely he will follow the HB and you can keep it with your QB). I love running the triple option out of flex, however because of this problem with the 3-4 I have started only using it to build teams up, and then switch to a more run heavy pro style using I formations and shotgun stuff (not a huge read option fan myself) when I feel like my team is on a level playing field with higher competition (which depending on who you are playing a dynasty with could be 5,6,7 years down the road. I did find recently that sometimes you can exploit the CPU by calling the triple option, then changing the play which results in the CPU changing their coverage ( and often placing the OLB further from the line of scrimmage). Then you can change the play a second time back to the original play, and they may not check into the same coverage they were originally going to run. It works sometimes, others not so much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »