Home

Running the flexbone against the 3-4

This is a discussion on Running the flexbone against the 3-4 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
MVP

whughes's Arena

OVR: 0
Running the flexbone against the 3-4

I've been having trouble running the triple option out of the flexbone against a 3-4 defense. I can't make the reads fast enough with the backer lined up basically right beside the defensive end, or when I do make the right read the linebacker recovers and still hammers my dive back when the defensive end stays out.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have any tips to help combat this?

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Rookie

RyanXGrindle's Arena

Re: Running the flexbone against the 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
I've been having trouble running the triple option out of the flexbone against a 3-4 defense. I can't make the reads fast enough with the backer lined up basically right beside the defensive end, or when I do make the right read the linebacker recovers and still hammers my dive back when the defensive end stays out.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have any tips to help combat this?

This Is a problem that has kept me up for many nights. However I have found a few ways to work around it. 1. Keep it with your QB. I know that often the play looks like the OLB will kill the QB if you keep it, but many times he will break to the outside to stay with the HB running the option. The best way to get good at this is to just rep it out in practice. The more and more you do it the easier it is to see. This will also cut down on the linebacker intercepting the ball while you try to pitch it. 2. Spread them out. I know this sounds stupid considering you are using a flexbone offense. The best option is to use a created play book and put both flexbone and shotgun concepts in. If a team is killing you with a base 3-4 then switch to a read option play out of a 3 receiver set. That will allow you to keep you run heavy game plan while spreading the field a bit. 3. You may also want to try recruiting bigger stronger WR that can hold their own blocking on the outside. Hell, move a TE out there that will stop the corners from being able to crash the inside so easy. 4. Switch your #3 or #4 HB to FB. His rating will be terrible, however he will have the quickness to run the dive option without the OLB being able to dive inside and make the tackle, which he can do when you have a traditional FB in a flexbone set.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
MVP

Miles Perry's Arena

OVR: 2

Ride the fullback dive plays.. Practice making the reads in practice mode.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
MVP

whughes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanXGrindle
This Is a problem that has kept me up for many nights. However I have found a few ways to work around it. 1. Keep it with your QB. I know that often the play looks like the OLB will kill the QB if you keep it, but many times he will break to the outside to stay with the HB running the option. The best way to get good at this is to just rep it out in practice. The more and more you do it the easier it is to see. This will also cut down on the linebacker intercepting the ball while you try to pitch it. 2. Spread them out. I know this sounds stupid considering you are using a flexbone offense. The best option is to use a created play book and put both flexbone and shotgun concepts in. If a team is killing you with a base 3-4 then switch to a read option play out of a 3 receiver set. That will allow you to keep you run heavy game plan while spreading the field a bit. 3. You may also want to try recruiting bigger stronger WR that can hold their own blocking on the outside. Hell, move a TE out there that will stop the corners from being able to crash the inside so easy. 4. Switch your #3 or #4 HB to FB. His rating will be terrible, however he will have the quickness to run the dive option without the OLB being able to dive inside and make the tackle, which he can do when you have a traditional FB in a flexbone set.

I was using the Georgia Tech book which has some shotgun formations in it, but I suppose I could make a custom book with some more shotgun and pistol formations in it. My #1 receiver right now I recruited as a tight end and then moved him to wideout. He's 6'7" and 230~ pounds, and he blocks really well. My problem isn't the corners crashing on me, its the playside linebacker sitting right off the defensive end, and the D end stays out so I "read" and give it to the dive back, and then that playside outside linebackers recovers and crushes my dive back for a 1yard gain at the most. I don't understand it but its happened multiple times against multiple different teams. And its not that my FB is slow, because he was recruited as a power running back that I moved to play FB and he has 86 speed and 82 acc

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Rookie

RyanXGrindle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
I was using the Georgia Tech book which has some shotgun formations in it, but I suppose I could make a custom book with some more shotgun and pistol formations in it. My #1 receiver right now I recruited as a tight end and then moved him to wideout. He's 6'7" and 230~ pounds, and he blocks really well. My problem isn't the corners crashing on me, its the playside linebacker sitting right off the defensive end, and the D end stays out so I "read" and give it to the dive back, and then that playside outside linebackers recovers and crushes my dive back for a 1yard gain at the most. I don't understand it but its happened multiple times against multiple different teams. And its not that my FB is slow, because he was recruited as a power running back that I moved to play FB and he has 86 speed and 82 acc

Sounds like you have a good set up. Trust me I had this same problem, and still do a lot of the time. IMO it's just the way they built the 3-4 defense in this game. I'm sure they didn't intend for it to be a cheese play for the D against the user when you are using a flexbone offense, that's just how it turned out. There really isn't a whole lot more for you to do. I have played far to many games of NCAA in my life, and the flexbone offense is far and away the one I have had to rep the most in practice mode. When the OLB is sitting there there is not a whole lot you can do. You can take that 1 yard gain on the dive, or you can keep it and hope the OLB goes outside to stay with the HB. It's hard to accept, because that triple option play is SOOOO money against other defenses, but it just usually does not work that well VS. the 3-4. I look at it this way....The object of running the flexbone is to pile up relatively safe rushing yards, get into open space, and win the game. You can still do that out of shotgun formations with read option, and even regular run plays. Now a regular read option isn't always as fun, or cool to look at, but it gets you those rushing yards you need to win, and it gets you out in open space just like the flexbone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm sure you have already done this but you might want to look in the Official NCAA 14 Flexbone Thread. The thread is so long that I'm sure you will find some answers there.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
MVP

whughes's Arena

I feel the read option out of any shotgun/pistol formation is cheese and I don't like running them. Specially against the CPU when I know they can't user a LB/CB and recover to stop the long run with the QB. I guess I just have to keep pounding the ball with the midline isos. I've found that that play works pretty well against the 3-4. I think I'll also add some power-I forms to my custom book specifically for when I'm playing against a 3-4 defense.

And ya I have looked through the flexbone thread, actually posted and answered a couple questions in there too. Thank you though

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Rookie

Practice making the reads in practice mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »