Home

The Death Penalty

This is a discussion on The Death Penalty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2004, 03:14 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: The Death Penalty

Quote:

MSUSPartanPride said:
Quote:

fsquid said:
The 3rd time was modern day slave trading. I thought Alabama stopped that in the 1850s

Um, may I ask what the 3rd one is/was?

Boosters paid off the kid's high school coach to convince him to choose Alabama, in addition to a dozen or so other violations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #26
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

GnarlyKing said:
Quote:

MSUSPartanPride said:
Quote:

fsquid said:
The 3rd time was modern day slave trading. I thought Alabama stopped that in the 1850s

Um, may I ask what the 3rd one is/was?

Boosters paid off the kid's high school coach to convince him to choose Alabama.

Albert Means, was he worth the $250,000?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

fsquid said:

I can already see that the chance for an intelligent converstaion has gone out the window. Someone told me to go to this website for some good info on upcoming games, etc. As soon as I get registered I see the death penalty topic, relpy, then get bashed by a "Staff Writer". All this in about 5 minutes. I'm off to a great start, huh? Seems like a great place to spend some time.

I will repeat myself, "Alabama did no worse than anyone else has done". Is Bama the 1st school to get money to players and/or coaches? Why should Alabama receive the death penalty when others have not? Pretty simple question, at least to my mind.

BTW, good to see you bash the south when you live in TN.

The NCAA was never able to offer ANY evidence that Bama boosters payed $100,000 or $115,000 or $250,000 to Means. Do you really think a booster would pay that amount of money for an unproven high-school kid? I sure do not. They did prove that boosters paid money but it was more like $20,000 or something like that.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #28
MVP

"I will repeat myself, "Alabama did no worse than anyone else has done". Is Bama the 1st school to get money to players and/or coaches? Why should Alabama receive the death penalty when others have not? Pretty simple question, at least to my mind."

They are definitely not the first, nor will they be the last. I think the point is that at the time that case came up penalties were already getting weaker and it was probably the worst violation to come up before the infractions committee in quite some time. The NCAA had a chance to send a message to everybody that nobody is above the rules no matter who you are or how much money's involved and instead showed everybody that they have become a spineless, pathetic joke. That will surely only lead to more and more cheating in the future if there are no real consequences.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
Quote:

IMO, SMU got what they deserved.

You probably could say that back then. However, in retrospect, no team deserves a peanalty like that.

Probably so, and I'm not even saying Alabama necessarily deserved the death penalty, but they deserved a lot more than what they got. If all they're goimg to do is cut scholarships, in order for that to be an effective punishment it needs to be a drastic cut. Like losing half of them, at least. All 4 or 5 scholarships a year means is you lose a few guys that will never even play in a meaningful game situation anyway.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

I do agree that the NCAA is a joke and should be dismantled.

I just don't think people understand how much Bama has suffered from the scholarship reductions. I'm not saying Bama didn't deserve what they got but people seem to be pissed off because they feel Bama got off easy or something and that is not the case.

Bama cheated, Bama got hammered, Bama will have to deal with it.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #31
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

This thread was suppose to be about the death penalty in the actual football game, not real college football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

The NCAA was never able to offer ANY evidence that Bama boosters payed $100,000 or $115,000 or $250,000 to Means. Do you really think a booster would pay that amount of money for an unproven high-school kid? I sure do not. They did prove that boosters paid money but it was more like $20,000 or something like that.

that's why we are having a trial in Federal Court here in Memphis. The exact amount was $200,000 and it all went to kid's coach, the kid knew nothing about it. The kid had no father figure except for his coach. That was low on so many levels. Who can the kid trust now? Oh yea, his mom was being evicted from her house too and the coach couldn't even slip her some money to make the payment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »