Home

THe Base Play Approach to Offensive Football

This is a discussion on THe Base Play Approach to Offensive Football within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: THe Base Play Approach to Offensive Football

I'm in the power run camp too, and typically run first. Single back is my preferred formation, but I do utilize FB's a little. I prefer the two-tight end sets, and some of my favorite run plays involve a TE in motion, then sweep toward that side. When my TE's can seal the edge and I get to turn the corner, that's pure satisfaction for me. Therefore, I have to emphasize some blocking, or at the least, balanced TE's when I recruit.

In my dynasty now, I've somehow ended up without solid TE's. I've currently got a HB and a DE converted to TE at the moment, and I'm really paying the price for that.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 01-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

All good stuff fellas. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 02:46 AM   #11
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Call me old fashioned, but I love to line up in a power run formation and pound the ball down the defenses throat. Power I, Offset I, some Wishbone, Singleback. I run a lot of just straight dive plays out of any of these formations. My theory is, if you can pick up 10 yards on three straight run plays then why would you ever throw the ball? Powers, traps, sweeps, stretch plays, I can go on and on about the power run game and why I love it. It's not flashy, but when it works, it works well
I appreciate the run and have no problem leaning on it if my passing game is off, but I've always loved the rush of a pass offense. A high powered passing attack that goes vertical and scores quick can seriously crush a defense's morale. I often use it to open up the run and gain 7-8 per carry

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I appreciate the run and have no problem leaning on it if my passing game is off, but I've always loved the rush of a pass offense. A high powered passing attack that goes vertical and scores quick can seriously crush a defense's morale. I often use it to open up the run and gain 7-8 per carry

I've always love passing more as well. I truly enjoy identifying coverages and attacking them in different ways. When running the ball, you just run towards the side where there is a numbers advantage. I'm a say though, the half HB Slam in NCAA 06 is the most basic but affective play in the game, at least compared to any of the passing concepts.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
MVP

whughes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
You're entirely right in saying that a quick hitting passing attack is very demoralizing, and I utilize the run to open up play action and get those shots down the field. But imo, it's just as demoralizing to watch your oppenent march down the field 4 yards at a time and eat 7+ minutes off the clock on every drive.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 01-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #14
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
You're entirely right in saying that a quick hitting passing attack is very demoralizing, and I utilize the run to open up play action and get those shots down the field. But imo, it's just as demoralizing to watch your oppenent march down the field 4 yards at a time and eat 7+ minutes off the clock on every drive.
Absolutely. Theres a million ways to break a team down!

The Play action is the best. A few runs...then hitting a 70 yard TD when the safety bites...OUCH

Major Boise State fan
Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #15
Rookie

West Coast Offense Philosophy for me with some power run plays and formations. I use a lot of Pro Split back formations like Bill Walsh and Mike Holgrem. Since the game doesn't have any near and far formations, the closest formations to that is the Army formations in their playbook. I mix in a little option from the formations but try to keep it as pro style as possible but keep the defense honest. I watched a game on YouTube when Bill Walsh coached Stanford in the early 90's and he had some options plays as well. I am anti-spread and read option and I never go high tempo because I think it kills your defense. Too bad Chip Kelly doesn't understand that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream6
West Coast Offense Philosophy for me with some power run plays and formations. I use a lot of Pro Split back formations like Bill Walsh and Mike Holgrem. Since the game doesn't have any near and far formations, the closest formations to that is the Army formations in their playbook. I mix in a little option from the formations but try to keep it as pro style as possible but keep the defense honest. I watched a game on YouTube when Bill Walsh coached Stanford in the early 90's and he had some options plays as well. I am anti-spread and read option and I never go high tempo because I think it kills your defense. Too bad Chip Kelly doesn't understand that.

Oddly enough, the Pro Split formations in 06 work pretty well. What other formations do you use beside Pro Split? I'm not an up-tempo guy either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »