Home

My online experiences and observations (PS2)

This is a discussion on My online experiences and observations (PS2) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
My online experiences and observations (PS2)

First of all, let me say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this game thus far. I bought the game, and a modem for the PS2, yesterday. I've been playing NCAA Football on the PS2 since its inception, and I've yet to be disappointed in any of the games.

So, I decide to head online. After much messing around, setting up an account, and waiting for the servers to come up I finally get to the game. I couldn't connect to the first two people that challenged me, but finally connected to the third. The guy decided to play Oregon State, so I decided to play Oregon against him. Game is going well, but between getting set up and waiting on the servers I lost track of time. I had an eye appointment. So, he's up 14-0 in the third and I message him apologizing and asking to let me leave the game. Of course, he refuses. Let me say that was fine... it was my fault for not checking the time. So I leave the game.

My second game was between Minnesota (me) and Tennesee. I was destroyed. The guy ran the option constantly, which is fine I can stop it, but I couldn't move the ball at all (I stupidly switched to an option run offense at the beginning of the game --- not for the option portion but for the formations to run out of). I lost 35-7. He asked me to conceed, and honestly, I would have. However, he was up by 21 and going for it on 4th down. That got a bit irritating.

My third and final game would have been a victory, if the guy hadn't disconnected with 30 seconds left or so. He decided to play Tennessee (who'd have thunk it) so I took Oregon State (just because I'd liked what I saw earlier when I played them and they were fairly evenly matched). I won 14-0. He was another full time option guy, but he waited on the pitches pretty well and he was tough to stop. The saving grace of that is he turned the ball over alot when he passed or waited too long on the pitch (2 ints 2 fumbles). I played a pretty conservative game, but used my field position and a slant that I broke a tackle on to score the two times.

So those are my experiences... here are my observations.

1) People only play the powerhouses. I find it sad that some of the best games I've had with my friends offline are between two middle of the road or downright bad teams, yet online no one will take anything less than an A unless its an option team (or has a fast quarterback). Personally, I'm pretty open about what teams I'll take. After offering to play people with decent, but not great teams, I got no response to my requests or people would accept the challenge and take Miami.

2) People aren't willing to lose. I took my lumps 35-7. I didn't disconnect. I did get a bit mad because of reason #3.

3) The fan noise factor. I'm fine with the idea of it and in one way I like the realism. But it makes punting with a bad punter almost impossible for me. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it or shut it off (the rumble).

4) Camera angles. I hate the camera angle online. I'm a sideline camera user and it's tough for me to get used to the camera. Especially running the ball.

Anyway, there's a couple of experiences and observations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Meldlm's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: My online experiences and observations (PS2)

Playing random folks online is definetly a pain in the butt. That's why most of us who do it regularly either stick to playing just people we know from boards or get into a custom ranking system like Crushem.com or ThePRs.com, so that we have some sort of protection against the random annoying player.

If you go by the old adage that time is money as I do, then playing random people online isn't worth the risk vs. investment.

Just my .02

I won't pimp ThePRs.com as the best around, cause it's not my style, but I will suggest to you to get into some sort of online community that can provide you with a pool of quality players so that you ensure this kinda stuff doesn't happen to you all the time.

If I hadn't done it long ago, I doubt I'd still be playing online.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Dude you should play me i like to be underdog hardly ever use powerhouses.

But i will say ratings mean much less this yr, if you have a good gameplan and dont get rattled early you can win anywhere.

I took toledo into bama and won, ive taken wvu into oregon, ive takin bowling green into auburn. Its tuff but fun

I started out 1-8, but now i got some pretty good game im up to 8-10 and ea owes me 2 wins cause people quit which is pretty weak i took all my beats.

I won like 7 of last 8 and i try all diff types of teams i like rivalry like using mich st vs michigan.

LOOK FOR ME PITTDAWG24

Im always around lookin for a gm
Old 07-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72

Add me to your BL for an honest game:

Pared (Simple enough?)
Old 07-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Thanks for the offers, I'll look you up!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »